Profile for notimetoulouse > Reviews

Content by notimetoulouse
Top Reviewer Ranking: 716

notimetoulouse "I might be old, but at least I got to see all the good bands!" (Sheffield UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Polaroid 24 AA and 12 AAA Super Alkaline Battery (Pack of 36)
Polaroid 24 AA and 12 AAA Super Alkaline Battery (Pack of 36)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value batteries - buy with confidence!, 17 Oct. 2014
I'm more than happy with the power of these batteries. In the past I've been 'bitten' by batteries from Hyundai and Panasonic, both makes not lasting very long at all. These beasts are exceptional for the money - I use them in torches, handsets and cameras, in fact anything in the house that needs both sizes of batteries.
I particularly like the 'big box of batteries' approach...it might not be apparent from the image but each set of batteries comes in its own 4 pack that is 'blistered' in with plastic packaging that has AAA and AA batteries sealed in 4's.
Mine arrived within 48 hours of ordering, and I'll be back to this seller for more when I need to.
Buy with confidence, these aren't cheapy cheapies, they are the real deal.

Mysore sandalwood soap
Mysore sandalwood soap
Offered by Pure Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful soap from the Sub Continent!, 17 Oct. 2014
It's probably 30 years since I last used genuine Indian Sandal wood soap.This is really lovely. I was a tad worried about some of the reviews, especially when I looked at the images of various sellers to find the same basic soap box with an 'exclusive', 'premium' and 'superior' - is there a difference in quality with each of these banners? The one I bought was 'exclusive' and arrived within 48 hours of ordering, which (even though the seller was in Leicester) I thought was pretty fast work.
The soap? Gorgeous. I'm half way through it now and it is keeping both its scent and its shape, which is more than can be said for many Brit soaps.
Yes it's quirky (its imprinted with 'government soap works etc..'but it's very very nice soap. I'm on a bit of a mission now to explore all those banners on different boxes to see if there really is a difference. I'll report back for everyone accordingly.
In the meantime...
I hope this helped!

Pilot IROSHIZUKU CHIKU-RIN - inks
Pilot IROSHIZUKU CHIKU-RIN - inks
Offered by WAKU1 JAPAN STORE(NO GUARANTEE CHRISTMAS DELIVERY)

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine writing with Liquid Green Silk, 26 July 2014
As you can see from my other reviews, I'm more than a 'fanboy' of Pilot inks - I bought this from Santa trading and it arrived safely and well packed after 15 days in the air from Japan.
The ink is gorgeous, a real 'spring grass green' that actually shades and colours differently through different nibs. I use F nibs predominantly, (which for the majority of inks precludes me from seeing serious shading),but I must say that this ink shows itself beautifully through any nib I've put it through (Pilot 3776, Platinum demonstrator, and believe it or not the best line comes from a Pilot 78G F nib)! I write for a living, and use fountain pens and notebooks for first drafts - today I sat out in the sun reading and taking notes and this ink has been absolutely first class - it dries off just less than the colour that comes out of the nib.
I use very temperamental Leuchtturm 1917 notebooks and today this ink has behaved impeccably on paper that absolutely loves to feather and bleed at the slightest opportunity.
A truly lovely green ink. Highly recommended.
I hope this helps you choose!

Kingston Technology 32 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing
Offered by zoombits

1.0 out of 5 stars If you value your work/music/films/photos...please read this!, 21 July 2014
I bought this four months ago, for my G5 Desktop PPC Mac (OSX 10..5.8) and it worked perfectly for a week. I'm no power user, I simply needed it to transfer Scrivener based writing projects between my PPC PowerBook (same OS) and my desktop, nothing else - no music, photos, videos, just text - in a single file of less than 5gb, saved to disk and transferred once a day.
The first sign of a problem was, as other reviewers have noted, extremely slow transfer speeds, followed in the third week of use by a real overheating issue - it became too hot to hold in my hand after about an hour simply being plugged in via USB.
But it still worked, and I needed that transfer at the end of every day, so I stuck with it.
Three days ago, on plugging it in to my desktop to transfer the file, I began to get audio feedback (static white noise) through my speakers as if there was a hard drive accessing. Today, having saved to USB then transferred my book project across from Powerbook Scrivener to Desktop Scrivener and attempted to open it as normal, Scrivener is warning me that the file is corrupt on the USB drive because basic file formatting info is missing.
So, I reckon I have a dying drive, that is beginning to corrupt data.
At least I caught it in time and haven't lost any work. But I write for a living, and I simply can't trust this make or model at all now. The thought of losing a whole days work halfway through my latest book doesn't even bear thinking about...which is why I'm not even going to ask for a refund.
Sorry to bang on, but it's my data that is being entrusted to this piece of technology, and I reckon I should be entitled to a decent level of security and safety for my files. I thought I'd be safe paying twice price of the cheapest 32gb stick on Amazon, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I just wanted to give you an objective review that shows the symptoms of this drive beginning to fail.
I hope this helped.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2016 8:11 AM BST

No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Well this is interesting....., 15 Jun. 2014
6 months ago I finished my latest non fiction book (about the 3rd battle of Ypres in WW1) and after it's first edit, gave it to my trusted friends to critique. Three days later they asked me out for a coffee and told me that the although book was good, what I had actually produced had real potential as a novel, one that they would put forward to their agent if it worked - and they really thought it would work.

Gulp.

7 non fiction books, a stack of articles, and now a novel?
Plot? Character? Story Arc? Dialogue? I'd never even thought of it, let alone tried the genre. So I sent quite a few authors here on Amazon some money to help me move forward.

And instead of moving forward, imagine a rather large Rabbit and rather bright Headlights.
Everything stopped.

Where I had been comfortable putting words together that told readers about events, I now had to learn to show a reader a scene, and where in the past words just seemed to flow, now I became obsessed with getting the story right; which in turn led to untold frustration as I found I was doing anything rather than 'get on'.
I bought this book thinking it was about helping me with a plot (which it doesn't - other reviewers here have pointed that out very clearly), what it did do was sit me down and talk to me about letting words just come out.

His Inner Editor analogy was in itself worth the price of the book for me, as that is exactly where my problem lay.

If you want to enter NaNoWriMo, this book is the ideal kickstarter, it's packed with hints about where to find the time to write, and a week by week methodology of how to fulfill the required 50k word quota - but if you write a lot, and for any reason you've hit a snag, as I had - No Plot provides you with real motivation.
Does it work?
For me undoubtedly, I read it through very early this morning, then sat down this afternoon with a completely different mindset and (drum roll) - the hare is off and running, with 6000 words already inside Scrivener. And words that I am happy with.
Chris Baty does the equivalent here of sitting across the table from you and having a good old (very funny) chat where he passes on his ideas and guidance. Some might not fit, but lots will.
Well worth the money.
Sorry to bang on a bit,
I'll get my coat.
Hope this helped.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2016 11:29 AM BST

The Mammoth Book of the West: New edition (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of the West: New edition (Mammoth Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Surprise!, 18 April 2014
Okay, you'll see from my other reviews that I've a 'bit of a thing' about poorly produced Kindle books. The rush to make money has 'Publishers' throwing together all sorts of poorly formatted efforts that are simply a compendium of rehashed work that is now out of copyright.
This book was recommended to me by another author when I asked him for three or four titles that would give me a good backgrounding in the Old West, and I have to admit I bought it with some trepidation, thinking that it might simply be a compendium of stories.
It's far from that.
Nearly 600 pages of information - and the reviewers before me have done a great job of explaining the content, which is broken down into 5 parts.
1: The Way West - from the initial movement westwards from the Eastern seaboard, to the first gold rush.
2. The Trampling Herd - The growth of the cattle industry and the changes that brought about.
3. The Lawless Land - Lots of cameo stories of gunfighters known and not so well known.
4. The Indian Wars.
5. The Last Days of The West - covering the late 1890's and turn of the century.
All in all I've found this to be a very satisfying read. Jon Lewis is an engaging writer who holds your attention well. In 573 pages I found only one tiny typo, so a lot of effort has gone into presentation.
If you are looking for a not so potted history of the West (as I was) you won't go far wrong with this. Well written, well set out, and interesting to boot, and a hat tip to a fellow reviewer - Matthew - who pointed out the omission of the Oklahoma Land Rush, a major turning point in the expansion of the USA.
I'm glad I bought it, I enjoyed it, and I think you will too.
Hope this helped.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2016 10:05 AM BST

Namiki Iroshizuku Bottled Fountain Pen Ink, Tsuki-Yo, Moonlight, Turquoise (69205)
Offered by Sakura-Japan

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled By The Translation of Tsuki-Yo - This Is Quite The Subtlest Blue Black Out There..., 18 April 2014
I have to admit that my go to Blue Black at the moment is the extremely lovely Diamine BB, which is really effective through all my F and EF nibs. It's saturated, super lubricated and shades beautifully. I saw the Tsuki-Yo and had to buy it at the price offered here on Amazon by Santa in Japan, and I'm glad I did.
Don't be misled by translation of 'Moonlight Turquoise' - it's not turquoise - Pilot Tsuki-yo is a beautiful blue black with a hint of turquoise that, through my fine nibbed pens has a lovely greyish green tint to it that is midway between the Diamine BB and a blue that leans towards turquoise slightly, (Diamines Majestic Blue being a case in point).
I've just dipped five different fine nibbed pens, and (sad face) unlike my other Irishozuku inks, I can't get it to shade, but the upside is it hardly feathers even on the cheapest papers (T*sco squared notepad being the lightest I tried).
And the more I look at it in natural light, the more it resembles Sailors Sei-Boku in colour - just a few shades darker, especially on cream paper, and that can't be a bad thing.
It gives a nice crisp line to my script, and it's very satisfying to use, it dries quickly and shows no fading after 48 hours on the windowledge in bright sun.
Although it performs well through fine nibs, I know Tsuki-Yo would be stunning through M and B nibs (especially a stub) as this the extra flow would really show this ink off at it's best. I have one B nibbed jinhao that I use purely for comparison purposes and Tsuki-Yo through that is a truly gorgeous blue black without any hint of grey/green, I wish my handwriting fitted fatter nibs, but hey ho.
The bottle is beautiful also, with its trademark crystal glass and internal indentation for the nib, and I always smile at that silver grey cord...very classy.
Am I pleased with this purchase? Absolutely, this is a nice addition to my collection and an ink that could be used for both personal or business use. Buy it with confidence, it really is that good.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rolls Royce of Inks?, 2 Mar. 2014
If you have been looking at Pilot inks elsewhere on Amazon, you have probably stumbled across my review of Pilot Murasaki-shikibu (Japanese Beautyberry) ink.
I was so impressed with the qualities of that ink and the price offered by this Japanese seller that I made up my mind there and then to buy one Pilot ink to my collection each month.
This month, as I really like orange inks for notebook use, I ordered a bottle of Fuyu-Gaki (winter persimmon) from the Japanese seller above.
It arrived safely and undamaged (even the box was uncreased) within two weeks of placing my order.
As with all Pilot inks, it shares the same silver grey box but with the label showing the colour of the ink, and understated minimalist lettering, which looks very classy on the shelf or desk.

The bottle is a very tactile heavy glass, with a concave dip at the base which will make filling a fountain pen much easier as the ink level lowers. Again it's adorned with subtle labelling and the trademark Pilot silver cord around the neck of the bottle.

The ink itself is a bright, but flat orange leaning towards the red (as opposed to the yellow) spectrum. I use fine and extra fine nibs, so it is always difficult to see shading in any ink, but I have this ink in a Waterman Kultur clear demonstrator with a medium nib and even through the very wet Waterman nib, it shows little shading, just a vibrancy of colour.
It sits slap bang between the in your face brightness of Diamine Pumpkin (which shades amazingly), and the yellowy orange of Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin. It's very impressive on the page.

On 120gsm Nuco cream paper it flows perfectly, with no startup problems - both my Pilot inks start first time every time without any prompting - and there is no sign of feathering or bleedthrough to the other side of the page....but I would expect that from a high end paper and a good class ink.
It's with the cheaper stuff this ink really shows its pedigree.
With T*sco 60gsm copy paper, there is only slight feathering and bleedthrough, unlike some Private Reserve and Noodlers inks, which seem to spread out and feather massively on cheap stuff..plus with Pilot inks, I have found the one ink that makes both sides of my Leuchtturm 1917 notebook pages usable.

Two days ago I was sitting in a coffee shop researching a book, and making notes as I went, using Diamine Umber for the text and this ink for any 'To Do' work., when a female acquaintance sat down next to me and glanced over and said:
"where did you get that gorgeous colour of ink? I didn't know they made ORANGE inks, it really stands out doesn't it, I'd never given that colour of ink a thought before I saw this?"
This ink is that striking, and I recommend it to you.
In summary it's free flowing, bright and exciting on the page without being garish, treats all papers as equals, and looks as though it will clean out from any pen with the minimum of effort.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely, it's an exceptionally lovely ink.
I hope this helped.
As an aside - if you are a dedicated fountain penner and think that some ink comparison images would help your choice, please leave me a quick comment and I'll put some up with each review I do from now on.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 12:17 PM GMT

CLiPtec® All-in-One USB 2.0 Multi Card & 3 Port USB HUB - White
CLiPtec® All-in-One USB 2.0 Multi Card & 3 Port USB HUB - White
Offered by ExpressPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Well this is embarrassing....I gave it five stars just after I bought it., 17 Feb. 2014
In September I left a five star review for this hub. It's been in use off and on since then, but with no 24hr usage at all. I've needed it maybe 10-12 times since I bought it.
Red faced, I've come back today with this update.
Yesterday I plugged ithe Cliptec into one of my USB ports (port was/is working perfectly) and the red warning light on the Cliptec didn't show, it also didn't show up as a device in Windows Vista. A couple of hours later I tried again, and woohoo, Windows found the driver and loaded it up - USB hub working fine, light back on. Nothing more than a scrambled driver I thought.
After an hour running only a Skype webcam it gave up the ghost again.
This morning I've retried it to get the dreaded message 'Windows doesn't recognize this device - retry, and if no success, the device is goosed' (well words to that effect).
I retried it, no power up light, not recognised by Windows, nothing working, so I'm down a hub.
I'm not saying it's a bad piece of kit, it worked perfectly for me for five months of light use, I'm just here to tell you that mine has gently expired after only five months. I'm off to Amazon to see if it's refundable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 9:28 PM GMT

Winsor & Newton A5 Hard Back Wire-o Sketch Book
Winsor & Newton A5 Hard Back Wire-o Sketch Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Paper for Expensive Fountain Pens and Ink, 12 Feb. 2014
I collect and use fountain pens and really nice inks, and as a writer, I'm making notes all day, everywhere, and I prefer ring bound notebooks because of their ability to fold back on themselves out of the way.
The trouble is, most WB notebooks are feint or heavy ruled - whereas I like a clean, unruled writing space with no clutter. The paper must also be heavyweight, as the lighter the paper, the more it soaks up the ink.
The W&N A5 gives me that space, and, best of all - really classy brilliant white 170gsm paper which can't be bettered for ink work. No feathering, no bleed through, the writing surface is just perfect for showing off the shading of any ink I use ( I put a lot of ink reviews out for the FPen community so it must photograph well), and a good nib glides across the page without any effort.
All in all I'm very glad I found these pads, which will now be a staple in my writing case.
Great for pens and ink of any type (I've even tested it with a dip pen and W&N shellac based ink - no issues whatsoever), so they would be great for ink sketchers and calligraphers.
For watercolour I can't say, but this paper is bombproof with water based inks hand extra fine to broad pen nibs, so it should be fine.
The card is also substantial enough to go straight into a frame.
Very happy with my purchase, I'll be back for more. Buy them with confidence, they are perfect for impromptu sketches.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 7:07 PM GMT