Profile for Lordy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sings Michel Legrand
Sings Michel Legrand

4.0 out of 5 stars Sings Michel Legrand, 15 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Sings Michel Legrand (Audio CD)
This is a rather pleasing piece of work. Great 70's aesthetic, which I personally love. Very much in the lounge/ light jazz genre. Lush orchestration and all the Legrand classics. In particular very pleased to hear Brian's Song (Hands of Time) and Pieces of Dreams. Her voice is attractive and the slightly unusual phrasing which comes from somebody singing in English for whom English is not their first language ( I believe Ms Reys was Dutch) simply adds to the charm.

To Each and Everyone: The Songs Of Gerry Rafferty
To Each and Everyone: The Songs Of Gerry Rafferty

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year so far, 27 Oct. 2013
Saw Barbara in concert this week, promoting this. Great show - perfect mix of the new and old hits- and great band backing her- Troy you are a wonder. On to the album. I Think this finds Barbara at the very top of her game.Once again we get a folky, celtic aesthetic and it really works. Took a few plays to appreciate, as I was not too familiar with Gerry Rafferty. But this is worth investing in and persevering with. Barbara's singing is, as ever, top notch and the lovely soft folk/rock/MOR settings really suit the material and Barbara's lovely pure voice.

Everyone is familiar with Baker Street, but this lovely stripped back setting and chamber string replacement for the famous sax break is beautiful and refreshing. Throughout, the approach taken is subtle and just about perfect for the material and, it lets Barbara's voice shine. Barbara explained in her show, and indeed in the liner notes for the cd, just how personal her connection to this material is. Well you can tell, because she has released, what for me, is the album of the year so far.

Barcelona [Special Edition]
Barcelona [Special Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Crown Jewel, 4 Sept. 2012
I have always loved this album. I was terribly excited when I found out about the nature of this project, having wondered for a while why no re master of the original was forth coming. When it turned up on my doorstep on the day of release (thankyou Amazon) I couldn't wait to hear the results. I had already listened to the preview on youtube, however that really didn't prepare me for the difference between the original album and this beautifully packaged jewel.

The difference the fully orchestrated music has made is tremendous. By this I don't mean that the changes are always dramatically different to the old, though on occasion they are,but its the quality of depth they add to the songs that elevate
this recording to a different level. Whilst much of the music was always very beautiful, the orchestration enriches the music and I think invites us to treat it more seriously. It is more "classical" in its nature now. It also emphasizes or reveals more the beauty of the music. Take for example the orchestrated Exercises in Free Love. Before this I hadn't realised just how lovely the music actually is. Or Guide me back.This has always been one of my personal favourites. The music is gorgeous, the lyrics heartbreaking. The new orchestrations add considerable depth and drama to this song and indeed throughout the album. I just love it.

The only quibble I have is that it would have been nice to have a re mastered version of the original album with the deluxe package.

If you have always loved this album then you will not be disappointed. If you are coming to it new, then you are in for a considerable delight. For me it really is the peak of Freddie's post 70's writing and recording.

The House at Sea's End: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 3
The House at Sea's End: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 3
by Elly Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars progress, 24 Jan. 2011
i was very impressed with this book. it is the best one in the series so far, and certainly the best written. with her previous two books i very much enjoyed the developing relationship between ruth and nelson, but i'm afaid the identity of the killers was a little too easy to spot. not so here. i really didn't have a clue or rather i was seduced by a red herring or two and found myself way off. however, the chief pleasures are to be found in the description of our heroine, her complicated relationship with nelson and a cast of very likeable supporting characters. the author really excels in this aspect of her writing and i can't wait for the next installment to see where we all end up, particularly after the implication of the book's closing paragraph.

Two For Sorrow
Two For Sorrow
by Nicola Upson

3.0 out of 5 stars diminishing returns, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Two For Sorrow (Paperback)
I have to say I was not quite as enamoured with this book as bookelephant. for very much the same reasons that he/she found the book interesting/enjoyable, I found it a little heavy going. I really wanted the author to get on with the story rather than use it quite so extensively as a vehical to explore the conditions of women prisoners in the early 20th century, attitudes towards women and careers, same sex relationships, class etc. sometimes the story of the murder seemed to be of secondary importance to the exploration of these issues. I also found the "modern" elements occasionally jarring with the golden age aesthetic, for example the swearing. I also feel that with each of the novels in this series the voice of Josephine Tey as a character is diminishing or becoming less distinct or interesting and has been replaced with the authors.

okay thats the negative stuff. I still enjoyed the book. I like the golden age stuff. I like the fact that Noel Coward can waft across the pages and that it can reference Brief Encounter to reflect one of the plot strands. I like the theatricality of the Motley Sisters and their social circle. I like the continuity of so many familiar characters and the odd running gag (poor Hephesbar). I want more of that. I thought there was an interesting twist that like the other reviewer I didn't see coming. I also wanted to know how the various plots would be resolved. so yeah, i enjoyed the book, but not as much as I would have done if the book had had a bit more rigorous editing. but hey, its my opinion and clearly other people love it as it is.

Sunshine After The Rain: The Collection
Sunshine After The Rain: The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star collection, 13 Mar. 2010
I agree largely with both of the reviews already published. There are one or two quibbles over what has been included and what has been ommitted. It's great to hear some of Elks 60's material, which I had not heard before and is very good, as well as some Vinegar Joe.

What I wanted to draw attention to is the difference the re-mastering makes. Whilst not perfect, the extra clarity given to her most familiar material is I think revelatory. For example, I have always loved her version of Nights in White Satin, but preferred to hear it live or the orchestral version from her Amazing album. Somehow the original with its swirling synths sounded a little dated. But wow. Just listen to it now. There is textural interest and depth in the music while Elk gives a performance of thrilling intensity. Fantastic. And the same can be said for so many of the recordings in all their new shiny fresh splendour. Add to this a remastered Superstar (possibly my favourite by Elk)and you have THE essential Elkie Brooks compilation. For a ridiculously low price.

New Scene
New Scene

5.0 out of 5 stars Something a bit different from the Divine Sarah, 11 Mar. 2010
This review is from: New Scene (Audio CD)
I have often wondered about this offering, and in particular whether it was worth splashing so much cash for. its from her later mercury period in the sixties and the song choice is nothing if not eclectic. of course sarah had recorded pop songs before, with varying degrees of artistic success. so what to make of a track list that includes shirley bassey's bolero style what now my love, the beatles michelle, anthony newley's who can i turn to to name but a few. well i have to say i've been pleasantly surprised. in fact i really like it.

the thing about sassy's style of singing is that generally people either love it or hate it. even for a vaughan lover such as myself her tendency to ornament lines or melody or deconstruct (like the very best jazz musicians) can, when dealing with words/meaning occassionally overwhelm a song. this is perhaps best illustrated by some of her live recordings of songs like over the rainbow. similarly her occassional semi operatic style of singing can also sound inappropriate to her material. all that said i would like to add that in my opinion when she does get it right, which is most of the time, there really is no one to touch her in the jazz genre.

so here we have an eclectic bunch of pop songs, a pleasing mix of big ballads and more uptempo numbers. the latter are treated in a bluesy/soul kind of way and are great fun. call me, one two three. theres a great 60's vibe going on that i really enjoyed. what now my love, who can i turn to and with these hands are given full and deliciously overblown arrangements/performances. theres a really interesting take on michelle and theres the lovely the shaddow of your smile. all in all i think this is a highly enjoyable recording on which any lover of sarah vaughan will find much to enjoy.

Vaughan Williams: Tallis Fantasia/Fantasia on Greensleeves/The Lark Ascending/Variants of "Dives and Lazarus"

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Tallis Fantasia?, 7 Nov. 2008
Whilst all the reviews are 5 star for this cd, I think it is worth noting a couple of points that may be helpful for anyone not particularly well aquainted with RVW. For my money the version of the Tallis Fantasia on this disc is the best I have heard from the many available. You really get the sense of awsome grandeur and spirituality that I think were intended. Many versions, by really great conductors/orchestras somehow fall short. For that reason alone this is an essential purchase. However, as an added bonus you also get one of my favourite RVW pieces, the very beautiful and moving Dives and Lazarus, which must be one of the most lovely melodies in English music.

The Mancini Songbook /Vrv
The Mancini Songbook /Vrv
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Sassy ... and don't you forget it..., 6 Aug. 2008
This is a bit of a mixed bag really. The first few tracks are actually from the Vaughan with Voices album/sessions, but are added, presumably, because this release would otherwise be ridiculously short. Therein lies the problem, as these tracks are very different in style and mood from the original sessions and to be honest I have never liked the Vaughan with Voices album. Of them, I kinda like Charade, but only because its such a great song and the choir are not too obtrusive. So why have I rated this 4 stars? Well it's because the remainder is so good. It contains some real Vaughan gems. I love her treatment of Peter Gunn which I have never heard anyone else sing and which the liner notes acknowledge was thought to be unsingable before this recording. She really swings on I love you and dont you forget it and even the over familiar Moon River gets a lovely light upbeat arrangement. So all in al an album well worth a listen.

In Land Hi
In Land Hi
Offered by samurai media

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the moon, 3 July 2008
This review is from: In Land Hi (Audio CD)
This is really one of Sarah's greatest recordings, containing some of her most iconic performances. She is backed by a great band which includes Canonball Aderley. For me, her performances of Cherokee and How High The Moon are amongst the greatest jazz vocal performances ever. Twenty years after I first heard them I still get a thrill when her voices jumps to the top of her range, particularly in the scat duet with Alderley on How High The Moon. Elsewhere there is her famous cover of Over The Rainbow, the joyous Sometimes I'm Happy, the list goes on. The title of the album is perhaps a bit ironic in retrospect, but it hardly matters when the material and performances are this good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3