Profile for David P. > Reviews

Content by David P.

David P. (Wales - UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
DROK® Mini USB Current Voltage Charger Detector Multimeter Power Capacity 0-99999mAh; 0-30.00W; DC 0.00-3.00A; DC 3.70-13.0V Ampmeter Voltmeter Multi-in-1; OLED Mobile Testing Power Monitor with Screen Rotation Function; Power-off Storage Function; Over- and Under-voltage Alarm Function
Offered by DEOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little tool, 24 Jun. 2016
I bought this out of curiosity to see how good certain USB chargers were at charging my various devices. This enabled me to discover that my shorter USB cables could charge my phone 10% quicker than the longer cables, and that the iPad fast charge port on my multi socket charger actually charged my android devices 10-20% slower than the other ports.

The device has a really nice, clear and bright OLED screen, which is easy to read despite the text being small. It was also nicely packed in a foam padded plastic box, meaning that it arrived in perfect condition.

It won't be of use to everyone, but the extra information that it has given me will cut down my tablet charging times significantly, so for me it is worth every penny.

Aromo Premium ESE Coffee Pods - Mixed Selection Pack x 100 ESE Pods - Free Delivery
Offered by PureGusto

3.0 out of 5 stars The pros and cons of pod systems, 15 Jun. 2016
I usually grind my own coffee from beans, but as I needed some decaf coffee for visitors, I thought I'd give this mix pack a go. As they are individually wrapped they should stay fresh for quite some time. They are far more fast/convenient than grinding your own beans and tamping, as well as in terms of the clean up after you've made a cup.

I've tried all of the varieties in the pack and the 'buzz' blend is easily the best taste wise. The Bounce and Boost pads are stronger caffeine wise, but what they gain in strength, they loose in taste complexity.

Compared to beans, ESE coffee pads tend to produce a more watery consistency of coffee, I assume because the coffee oils aren't able to as readily escape - or that is at least my experience in the two De'Longhi machined I've tried them in. I've not tried a competing pod system like Nespresso, so I can't say whether this is a weakness in all pod system or just the ESE coffee pads. It could also be a weakness in the De'Longhi machines themselves, which don't have the strongest pumps.

Standard Replacement Toothbrush Heads 20 pack replaces Philips Sonicare HX6014 HX6013 ProResults, fits DiamondClean, EasyClean, FlexCare series, HealthyWhite, Plaque Control and Gum Health Handles
Offered by Oliver James London

4.0 out of 5 stars The brush heads don't have the bristles that indicate when it should be replaced like official ones, 30 May 2016
I'm only on my first brush head, but I waited until I had it on for about two months before posting this review. Thus far no bristles have fallen out and they compare reasonably well to the much more expensive official ones.

The brush heads don't have the bristles that indicate when it should be replaced like official ones, and they push on a bit more firmly rather click on like the official ones, but these are both things that can be overlooked give the price differential.

The bristles aren't as advanced as the diamond white ones from Phillips, but you can easily afford to replace them every two months, rather than every three to maintain peak brushing performance.

It's going to take me a while to get through my 20-pack, but (so far) I'd have no problem in buying them again.

T&G Mill Rest in Hevea to Hold 2 Mills
T&G Mill Rest in Hevea to Hold 2 Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like!, 30 May 2016
Reasonably priced, well made mill rest, that stops ground salt and pepper spreading over your worktop or table. What's not to like!

De'Longhi EC.680.M Premium Pump Coffee Machine - Metal
De'Longhi EC.680.M Premium Pump Coffee Machine - Metal

3.0 out of 5 stars Usefully compact, but not the best coffee., 30 May 2016
I bought this machine to replace an old Kenwood model with something a bit more compact. It looks smart and looks to be built well.

I'd looked at the pod machines, but I didn't much like the inability to grind your own beans, nor the less than eco-friendlyness of pod systems. This machine has the flexibility to use 'ESE' coffee pads which can be easily recycled, which is good, though I find that ESE coffee pads seem to prevent all of the oils in the coffee coming through, leading to a more watery, rather than creamy, texture to espressos. I don't think that this is the machines fault, just a flaw in the ESE coffee pods themselves.

As for the machine itself, it seems to have a bit of weak pump and I've had to increase the coarseness setting on my burr grinder up 2-3 notches compared to the Kenwood, else the De'Longhi will fail to dispense coffee (and leave a pressurised grind holder ready to explode coffee everywhere when it is unscrewed). My company also has a De'Longhi machine in the office, albeit a different model, and it also has a similarly weak pump (a brand trait perhaps?). The result of this is of course that less oil is extracted from the ground coffee beans, resulting in a less tasty, more watery, espresso. I'd rate the coffee produced by this machine as average.

Mio Link Continous Heart Rate Wrist Band Works with Fitness App for iPhone 4S/5/5S/5C - Slate, Large
Offered by OutPal

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but accuracy isn't quite as good as chest strap based monitors., 30 May 2016
I bought this to replace the chest strap heart rate monitor that came with my Garmin Forerunner 410, which worked fine, but somewhat restricted breathing. I liked the fact that this monitor had a rechargable battery and that it worked with both the competing Bluetooth and ANT+ formats (meaning that I wouldn't be restricted in phone/GPS watch choice in the future).

When out running I found that I had to wear the band on the underside of the wrist as the top of my wrist is flat and the curve of the band meant it wasn't getting firm contact when it was worn on top. I don't think that it is quite as accurate as the chest strap, which tended to read about 10-20 bpm higher at the top end, but it is accurate enough for my purposes.

Updating the firmware on the band through MIO's app was a bit less straight forward that I would've liked, and there was one point where I feared that I'd bricked on the first update, but I was able to re-flash the firmware, so all was good.

BlueSnail Coffee Tamper Stainless Steel 51mm
BlueSnail Coffee Tamper Stainless Steel 51mm
Offered by Sunraise

5.0 out of 5 stars Well machined with a nice weight to it, 30 May 2016
Well machined with a nice weight to it. The weight is enough that you don't really need to apply much if any preasure when using it to pack the grinds. Perfect fit for my De'Longhi EC 680 grinds holder.

Autoleads PC2-17-4 Car Audio Harness Adaptor Lead - Daihatsu Toyota
Autoleads PC2-17-4 Car Audio Harness Adaptor Lead - Daihatsu Toyota
Offered by MotorGuard

4.0 out of 5 stars like me, you have a steering wheel control in ..., 30 May 2016
Not much to say about this other than it works and is reasonably priced.

However, if, like me, you have a steering wheel control in your Toyota and you want the controls to work with a replacement radio, then you will need a separate adaptor for this. I worked out this after buying the adapter and found that the steering wheel control adapter includes a Toyota to ISO adapter, making this purchase a redundant. Just thought I'd share to stop others making the same mistake!

Pioneer DEH-X8700BT Car Stereo with Bluetooth, CD, USB and Aux-In
Pioneer DEH-X8700BT Car Stereo with Bluetooth, CD, USB and Aux-In

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks random album mode and Replay Gain support, 14 May 2016
I'd been looking for a mechless car stereo with a SD card slot and a USB slot (with support for FLAC, MP3 and AAC music formats), however, for reasons know to only them, the ubiquitous SD/Micro SD card used by all manner of devices seems to be out of vogue with car stereo manufactures.

Still I found this Pioneer unit that ticked all the boxes apart from SD card support, and the USB port was around the back of the unit, allowing me to route the USB lead into the glovebox (out of sight) and attach a capacious 128 GB USB thumb drive (SanDisk Ultra Fit), enough to fit around 480 albums in FLAC (identical to CD quality).

Fitting it was a bit of a faff, as apart from the usual fascia, Toyota to ISO adaptor, and stalk adapter woes, the unit didn't come with the screws needed to fit it (and it uses an uncommon screw size and shape) and I ended up having to trawl hardware stores to locate some 5mm x 8mm (M5) flat head self-tapping screws. For wasting my lunch hour for something that should be included and which would cost Pioneer a fraction of a penny to include, it loses one star. Some adhesive cable clips to help you in routing the USB cable/microphone cable would also have been welcome.

After it was all fitted and installed, I started it up and after initial setup it defaulted to a demo mode, cycling through colours and flashing, so much so that it wouldn't look out of place at a fairground. After that ghastly mode was turned off, I inserted an MP3 CD and I had to reach for the EQ settings, as out of the box the MP3 restorer feature and EQ preset was causing my woofers to clip!

I also had to alter the front/back balance for a more even sound. After those adjustments were made the sound quality was good and detailed, though perhaps a bit less 'warm' compared to the stock Toyota radio.

I was pleasantly surprised that it managed to handle a 128 GB USB thumb drive, which was something of a gamble, as Pioneer's website doesn't list the maximum capacity it supports, but it does mention that you need to format it as FAT32, rather than the more recent NTFS or ExFAT drive formats. Building the database of such a large thumb drive does take a while (about a minute per dozen albums), so I ended up sitting on my driveway waiting for it complete, as I wasn't sure that it would need to start from the beginning if I turned the radio off mid-scan.

That done, I tried to play an album and realised that having that many albums makes it a pain to navigate! I then thought, never mind I'll just use the random mode, but then I found that there isn't a random album. This is a massive oversight (for which I dock another star), as for those with eclectic collections, the random mode can lead to some rather odd transitions between things like Chilean rap, Japanese piano jazz and folk rock. Another fault with the random mode is that if you have two tracks with the same track name then the random mode will play them one after another, which is stupid and losses it another star. Another thing that leads to awkward transitions is the lack of support for Replay Gain, which can lead to some sizable volume jumps as some albums are 10 bB louder than others.

One final thing to note is the 'waveform' spectrum analyser display shown on Pioneer's website isn't available as far as I can tell, only a regular spectrum analyser style, which is a bit misleading. (Update: I've heard back from Pioneer, the waveform display is only available in the mix track mode).

Overall, not a bad stereo, but room for improvement.

100pcs Tea Filter Pocket Leaf Herb Pouch Disposable Bag 3.7" X 2.8"
100pcs Tea Filter Pocket Leaf Herb Pouch Disposable Bag 3.7" X 2.8"
Offered by Petitokyo

3.0 out of 5 stars Black tea doesn't brew quite right in these., 14 April 2016
I wanted to like these, but the truth is that I have to put 2-3x the quantity of black tea in the filter pocket to get the same strength tea as if I were to just use an infuser, which isn't that economic.

It probably works fine for green tea and herbs, but if you were looking for filters for taking some English breakfast tea with you to use at a hotel, then look elsewhere.

They are also made of a polyester/polythene cloth, which mightn't be biodegradable, which is something to think about too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11