Profile for Itsonlyme > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Harvest
Harvest

2.0 out of 5 stars full of promise - delivered not quite, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Harvest (Kindle Edition)
I am a big fan of historical fiction and I was initially gripped by the beauty of the writing and the promise of a good story. This delight was short lived, however, as I realised about half way through that it was becoming tedious. I did not empathise with the main character, Walter Thirsk, whose character was not fleshed out. He was always a bystander in the action, an observer, a man who did not belong - I guess that was the point but it did not make good reading. I was dissatisfied with the way the story meandered, there was no satisfying conclusion, a lot of unanswered questions. I did finish the book but it was a struggle.

DISHONOUR
DISHONOUR

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable and disappointing -I can't finish it., 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: DISHONOUR (Kindle Edition)
I was immediately gripped by the first 20% of this book. The Pakistani story was very convincing and interesting but it rapidly went downhill. The characters are shallow drawn and almost childishly cliched. I particularly disliked the name Ray Ray which seems to have come out of the nursery. On the other side of the coin, the language was crude and the attempt at accents laughable. Sorry, I am 80% through it but I cant bring myself to finish it.

Beyond Black (The Perennial Collection)
Beyond Black (The Perennial Collection)

1.0 out of 5 stars oh dear!, 30 Sept. 2013
I am a big fan of Hilary Mantel's historical work and she is a brilliant writer. However, she has seriously let herself down with this book. Initially the tale hooks the reader but then it meanders off into vagueness, hints of child abuse, prostitution, disgusting acts of cruelty and tedious descriptions of suburban life. I could go on. The reader does not empathise with the characters, they are all disagreeable, unsympathetic. The book was a chore to read, and disappointing after it started so well. I feel cheated!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2014 10:48 PM GMT

Masters of War: Danny Black Thriller 1 (Danny Black Series)
Masters of War: Danny Black Thriller 1 (Danny Black Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put this down, 11 Sept. 2013
This is a new genre for me and one that I have mixed feelings about -a mixture of horror as events unfold in a gruesome way but at the same time fascination with the detail. . I couldn't put it down. The story is well told and hooks you right from the beginning. It is fast paced and the character of Danny is well developed. I did find the precise descriptions in metres of Danny's location a bit tiresome but that is nit picking. Perhaps it is a bit too long -and I was disappointed that Taff was not his real father - but that's the romantic in me.

And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed

4.0 out of 5 stars He's done it again!, 2 Sept. 2013
Great writing from this natural born story teller; great imagination and breadth of vision with one or two surprises on the way. I couldn't put it down. At the end, sad and perhaps a little contrived - still, a great read.

Elysium. Part One.
Elysium. Part One.

2.0 out of 5 stars good story, 22 Aug. 2013
A natural story teller. Plot intriguing but full of holes. Dismal grammar, choice of words and spelling in places. Just readable.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Really gripping, fantastic novel of a marriage. Didn't want it to end that way though. Will look out for more by Gillian Flynn.

Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)
Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Feb. 2013
Atmospheric and thought provoking journey into the life and times of Thomas Cromwell. The lack of orthodox punctuation is difficult but the book is well worth persevering with. Can't wait for the next one.

PESTILENCE
PESTILENCE

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: PESTILENCE (Kindle Edition)
I recommend this book. I enjoyed reading it and did so in about 3 days - I found myself anxious to know what happened next which is always a good sign. The main character, James Saracen, is well-drawn and believable and so are the other, minor characters. A cracking plot, well thought out and a good, unhurried ending. Well done Mr McLure, shall be looking out for more of your books.

Sugar & Spice (US edition)
Sugar & Spice (US edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars I did not like this book, 11 Jan. 2012
I found this book way too long. At first it is quite compelling and then it deteriorates into long and detailed explanations about social work, the nature of paedophilia etc which I did not think were necessary and did not add to the plot. There are too many characters, badly drawn, and I was not sure who the hero/heroine was supposed to be until the messy ending, which seemed quite hurried and slap dash. Definitely quite unbelievable, not well written and rather sordid. The murderer was not introduced to the reader except sketchily and his identity was not revealed until the very end and so the reader does not really know anything about him, except he is a paedophile. It would have been better to make him one of the main characters and hint at his identity. A good start to the book but it tails off in the middle and ends up being rather tedious. I did finish it though even though I did not care what happened to the characters. In addition, I did not think that the Anglo/American aspect of the writing was a success - it should be either one or the other.

Page: 1 | 2