Profile for Cindle Kustomer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Amazon Fire HD 8 Case (8" Tablet, 7th Generation - 2017 release), Purple
Amazon Fire HD 8 Case (8" Tablet, 7th Generation - 2017 release), Purple

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to keep it clean., 18 July 2017
Sturdy but it's got a material finish and it's impossible to keep clean. Had it about six weeks and it's covered in unidentifiable dirty marks. I'm a neat/clean freak and I only use this on the train, otherwise keeping it in my (new) bag - where does all the filth come from? The material is just not easy to clean and I'm kind of hesitant to handle the device any more because the cover is so gross.

How to Write a Novel and Get It Published: A Small Steps Guide
How to Write a Novel and Get It Published: A Small Steps Guide

4.0 out of 5 stars A stellar crash-course for aspiring novelists., 16 July 2017
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair review. I've been writing fiction for nearly a decade, and I read this book on the understanding that it was targeted at beginners. With that out of the way, I'm pleased to say that new writers will find this book invaluable.

How to Write a Novel and Get It Published is a stellar crash-course for aspiring novelists unsure how to begin the momentous task of planning and writing a novel. The book predominantly explores ways to plot and structure a novel, as well as how to break the story down into manageable chunks. Tondeur writes in an accessible and down-to-earth style and uses many familiar points of reference, from Cloud Atlas and Douglas Adams to Will Ferrell's movie Elf. There's little in the way of grammatical or tonal advice; don't misunderstand what this book is for...

The real meat of the book comes from its copious writing exercises and prompts. If you fully commit to completing all of the exercises offered within this relatively short release - I read it in two sittings - you will have a generous body of work from which to begin piecing together your future masterpiece. We're talking hours and hours of work here. I admit, hands up, I didn't do any of them. But if I had, they would have been really useful. If you undertake every task supplied in this book you'll more than get your money's worth.

The author goes into great detail about the intricacies of beginnings, middles and ends, and relates how to break these down as well. As a regular writer I found much of the material familiar, but I always appreciate a refresher, and there was plenty within this book for me to think about, and a few new ideas besides.

If I had to think of something I didn't enjoy about the book, I'd say there was a fair bit of filler. The first chapter of the book is "What is this book about", and then details what each of the individual chapters is about. Blah. Each chapter opens with "What is this chapter about? In this chapter I am going to tell you..." and so on. I didn't really see the point of this repetition, but it didn't stop me from persevering with the material.

I lost count of the number of links the author provided to her own blog, as well as other worksheets and downloadable resources made available for free. Depending on your outlook this could be an annoyance or value for money. I probably won't be revisiting these materials but, again, a new writer might lap these up, so fill your boots. I found the URLs intrusive to the reading experience, but hey, this isn't strictly the sort of thing you would "polish off" in one sitting. You work through it.

Depending on your experience and familiarity with novel-writing, this book could be an irrelevant or an invaluable purchase, but I maintain that a new writer couldn't find a better place to start. Download the worksheets, do the exercises, and watch your confidence (and your body of work!) grow.

Doctor Who - The Complete Ninth Series [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who - The Complete Ninth Series [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

1.0 out of 5 stars Box doesn't match the other seasons., 13 July 2017
Older seasons were in standard plastic blue cases. Which infuriating creature made the decision to package this series in a cardboard sleeve? Rubbish. Might as well stop collecting them now. Ugly packaging arrived already bent and worn.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2017 2:13 AM BST

Haha and Then What ;)
Haha and Then What ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not love this album any more than I do., 18 Jun. 2017
Could not love this album any more than I do. Every track is a thing of beauty. Catchy and heartfelt. They kind of remind me of 4 Non Blondes, Alvvays, HAIM, even a bit of Florence + the Machine and First Aid Kit. Found them by chance on Bandcamp and I am so glad I did. Buy it!

Casual Season 3
Casual Season 3
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Girls, Master of None, Transparent, Lady Dynamite and such you will probably enjoy this., 6 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Casual Season 3 (Amazon Video)
Quality show. It's a dramedy focussing on an oddball family with the recurring themes of dating, relationships and psychology. The main characters are Valerie, a therapist, Laura, her teenage daughter, and Alex, her brother. If you liked Girls, Master of None, Transparent, Lady Dynamite and such you will probably enjoy this. Script is witty, soundtrack clever, direction sharp and the three main characters are endearing and realistic. Make sure to start at Season 1 though!

The Great Passage
The Great Passage

4.0 out of 5 stars Crisp, clean, perfunctory but charming., 7 May 2017
This review is from: The Great Passage (Kindle Edition)
The Great Passage follows a team of dictionary editors as they toil away on their latest release. The book is warm and engaging and I found myself immediately gripped. That's not to say it's an action-packed novel but the characters, their passion for their work, and their intertwining friendships and relationships formed a captivating, if eccentric, tale.

There are six sections to the book, each from a slightly different perspective but in chronological order. As the narrative unfolds we discover more about each character and I even grew to appreciate the one I originally disliked.

The theme here is communication. Emails, texts, letters and the dictionary entries themselves are frequently employed, and I enjoyed seeing the characters debate the neutrality and the accuracy of the definitions they wrote. I could totally connect with the characters, and their fascination with the intricacies of their work - typesetting, research, even paper quality - never failed to amuse me.

That said, my one complaint about the book is the quality of language and narration. I'm unsure whether this is due to the translation or is the original intent of the author, but I found the style to be sparse and perfunctory, with huge developments and scenes glossed over/summarised rather than shown with any particular effort. I also got annoyed with a couple of American turns of phrase that drew me out of the book - this surely must be attributed to the translator.

Overall, the book was short and enjoyable, and I felt a connection to all of the characters. The crisp, clean narration made it an easy read even if I felt the book was lacking in detail.

I was lucky enough to snag a free copy of this via Kindle First scheme but if I had bought the book I would have been more than happy with my purchase. (Bonus: it looks like there's an anime adaptation on Amazon Video as well, must check it out soon!)

I Can Spin a Rainbow
I Can Spin a Rainbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Hypnotic, 6 May 2017
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this album, knowing nothing about Edward Ka-Spel, the Legendary Pink Dots or any of the singles already released. Imagine a lullaby performed at a carnival, by a skeleton and a ghost. I would most accurately describe this album as baroque, gothic electronica. I can hear tracks that wouldn't feel out of place on an acoustic Florence + the Machine album, but it reminds me of the groups Of Montreal and Pet Shop Boys too.

Best enjoyed via headphones, with your eyes shut and your mind open.

Victory Laps [Explicit]
Victory Laps [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Instantly loveable., 6 May 2017
I was beaming within thirty seconds of the album starting. It's a bit more trippy and futuristic, and I believe I can hear some electronica elements. As the title suggests, the album is utterly victorious and any fans of their previous releases La La Land and The Astronaut will be more than pleased with this album.

No Shape
No Shape

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumphant., 6 May 2017
This review is from: No Shape (MP3 Download)
It's more heavily produced and optimistic than his previous releases. If you're looking for sparse and delicate you might be surprised, because this is a gloriously celebratory album. Love it.

La La Land
La La Land

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album you've never heard., 17 April 2017
This review is from: La La Land (MP3 Download)
Amazing album. I think like everyone else I only heard one of their tracks in an episode of American Dad and HAD to find out who the performers were. Impulse-bought this album and it's probably one of my favourite albums of all time. I went on to buy several more of their releases too. I think if you like Pink Floyd, Bowie, Springsteen, Weezer or PWR BTTM there's plenty here to enjoy. Can't recommend more highly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6