Profile for Mark Timms > Reviews

Content by Mark Timms

Mark Timms (Salisbury, Wilts, UK)

Garmin NuLink 2340 4.3 inch Satellite Navigation with UK and Western Europe Maps, Live Services and Traffic, and Bluetooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the photo's from the traffic cameras!, 9 Dec. 2011
I actually brought the 2320 from Halfords, as I only needed maps for England. Traffic alerts are good and have twice taken me off the motorway before a road closure, which has saved me loads of time. Map is clear and easy to read, although a little too colourful IMO. Until last week, I hadn't used the photolive camera service as it was extra but I bite the bullet and what a revolution. I now can double check the traffic alert by actually looking at the motorway ahead and see if the traffic! I had no idea this was possible and cant believe Garmin don't advertise this more!?!

River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
by Nikki Duffy

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped us cut down on cooking two separate meals, 22 Jun. 2011
Like another reviewer, we were definitely in a Anabel Karmel vicous circle and looking for inspiration! This and our preference for tasty, interesting and varied food throughout the week, meant we were spending our weekends cooking up baby food and then would cook our own meals on-the-fly in the evenings.

This book has given us a load more ideas for dishes that both baby and us can enjoy together. Since getting the book, we are definitely cooking less meals specifically for baby and have added a couple of new favourite to our regular repertoire - the frittata is ace.

We do often found ourselves adding more salt or spice at the last minute, once we've portioned out for baby but I guess that's personal preference. A number of the recipes are ideal for serving up the next day for nursery.

I was disappointed to learn that it wasn't actually penned by HFW, but that was probably me not reading the email from River Cottage properly

Summary - if you are looking to progress beyond pulp and stews and cook some meals that all the family can enjoy, this is a good start.

Garmin NuLink! 2390 4.3" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (44 Countries) and Live Services

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Traffic Cameras actually make sense!, 21 Jun. 2011
Just got my nulink 2390 and I'm really impressed! Took me all of 1 minute to have it out of the box and ready to navigate - some local language set up and users agreements to tick. Setting up a Garmin account and registering the device is essential if you want to purchase some of the extra content, like you do for an iPod.

I was really keen to see what the Traffic Cameras were like, as I read a review in Stuff magazine that raved about them. Paid out £3.95 which seems a lot, (hopefully Garmin can work on getting the price down) but the service is actually rather helpful and not just a gimmick. The nulink 2320,2340 and 2390 all come with Garmin 3D Traffic Live service, which updates every 3 minutes but IMO, the extra traffic cameras will give me peace-of-mind to check the actual 'ground truth'.

Like other live devices it has Google search, crowdsourced safety cameras and weather forecast. On top of that it has Garmin's tracker app (not used this yet), fuel pricing, flight status updates and a live currency converter.

The menu layouts seems significantly improved from previous Garmin's I've had and there now seems to be more options to customise displays, like other manufacturers have been doing for a while. I use the ecoRoute software for monitor my fuel costs but that's probably me being tight!

It's early days but so far, so satisfied.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2011 5:38 PM BST

DJ Hero - Turntable Kit (PS3)
DJ Hero - Turntable Kit (PS3)
Offered by Hauseinkauf

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than anticipated, 7 Jan. 2010
Like many I was worried that this might not live up to my expectations. I like my dance music and have enjoyed GH, Rock Band et al and was nervous this might disappoint. Well the good news is that it didn't. Me and the missus spent a fair few hours playing this over Christmas and after a couple of hours, really got into the swing of things.

I've played around on a mates decks and this is nothing like it, plus there is no tricky beat matching. This is a pure and simple, press the buttons in the right order type affair but still enjoyable. I'm never going to find the time to actually DJ well but this game allowed me to pretend I was a pro, after a couple of hours.

You can play through all the artists and their bonus tracks in an hour or so but the fun is trying to better you best score or up the difficulty level. I was a bit annoyed that there is no two-player game (unless you pay out for another deck) and I haven't yet gone online.

Overall this is a fun game and excellent to play in larger groups. I hope they make more tracks available to download.

Electronic Commerce 2004: A Managerial Perspective
Electronic Commerce 2004: A Managerial Perspective
by Efraim Turban

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for a Marketing Degree, 2 Jun. 2005
This book was a suggested core text book for my final year (BA in Marketing), to say I was disappointed was an understatement but I believe this may not be the fault of the authors. This book deals very specifically with operations, processes and simple explanations of electronic commerce in broad terms. If you after a book which deals with the strategic management of e-commerce this isn't for you.

The Getaway (PS2)
The Getaway (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont let it Getaway, 16 Feb. 2003
This review is from: The Getaway (PS2) (Video Game)
Having read the hype about this game, I expected the usual disappointment. What I got however was a fast-flowing game with great driving sequences and a cast of characters straight from the set of'lock, stock & 2 smokin barrels'!! The game controls are easily learn't and it has taken me about 6 hours to get half way through so far. One annoying aspect is that you have to sit through each chapters opening scene every time you load your game up. The background graphics are spot on, if you know london at all, its fantastically liberating driving a red double decker down Putney Bridge at 70mph !!!