Profile for Lolo > Reviews

Different Natures and the Spaces in Between
by Graham Field

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 27 April 2015
Different natures:

The author has taken those innermost thoughts that many a traveller has (and writes in a person diary never to see the light of day again) and shares them with the reader in a very honest format.
He describes the journeys in such detail that he not only sucks you in and takes you along on his adventures but he reminds you of feelings, emotions and events encountered by your own journeys. He makes you feel better about all the things you have thought or done on such a two wheeled adventure but never felt appropriate to say out loud.
Very brave to allow the world into your inner world. Thanks for sharing and making us feel vaguely normal!
I want to go to Wyoming!

Ureka: Finding the Line Between Desire and Contentment. Then Riding it
Ureka: Finding the Line Between Desire and Contentment. Then Riding it
by Graham Field

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great read, 15 May 2014
A peek into the soul of a solo motorbike rider attempting to scratch that itch of finding what makes you happy but not necessarily really reaching it. Many of the thoughts and emotions described with such honestly will ring true for any one that has been on the road for more than a couple of weeks. I loved the indulgence of reading the book and it taking me away from whatever environment I was in and making me feel I was along for the ride too. Great read. Roger Waters rules ! Thank you for sharing.

Over the Moon
Over the Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Over the Moon (Kindle Edition)
Not a book I would have chosen normally. Once started everything else had to wait until I had finished it. Every page had something new fantastic book.

Venture Into Russia: Three Motorcycle Journeys
Venture Into Russia: Three Motorcycle Journeys

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fab read, 18 Jan. 2013
Having had a kindle bought for me for Christmas I have had my first venture into the world of electronic reading. Every bone in my body is fighting against this idea of not having a tactile book in my hands when reading. Although I think it will be a sad day if we ever loose the printed (on paper) book, my first read ,Venture into Russia,' was a great find. Its short with only about 200 pages but it kept me reading at such a pace that I had finished it by the dinnertime of the morning I had purchased it. It is three stories in one. The first story Lawerence talks about the continued failure of his 1970's BMW to get him to his destination and with this failure it draws you into the second story. The third story is much longer, and the author has been lucky enough to have his son ride the journey with him, it is the best part, and a fab read . The journey brings him into contact with good and bad sides of human nature that many a bike rider comes across when meeting travellers. I'm not sure if it has spurred me on to visit Russia, or frightened me to death! But it's definitely worth a read if your heading for a ride in that direction.

Touching The World: A Blind Woman Two Wheels 25,000 Miles
Touching The World: A Blind Woman Two Wheels 25,000 Miles
by Cathy Birchall

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching the World, 27 Aug. 2012
After Ted Simon sets a seed in Bernard's head for motorbike travel, as he has for many, years later and after two years of planning, Bernard Smith takes his partner Cathy Birchall, who happens to be blind, on a 25000 mile adventure to circle the world.

At first glance of the cover, I have to ashamedly admit, I was not expecting this book to take a place on my bookshelf as the second favourite book that I have read in the last ten years. Not knowing anyone who is blind I did not see how I would connect with the writer but as it was about travel and motorbikes I thought I would give it a go. How wrong could I be? Cathy's vivid descriptions of her experiences interspersed with Bernard's observations make this book, inspirational, entertaining and pleasurable read.

Such an apt title for this book as even though I have never met Cathy or Bernard the honesty and detail of their story certainly touched my world. I am an avid reader of motorcycle travel books reading at least one a month but this is one of those rare publications where you are drawn into their private world and are taken along with them in their adventure. I don't think a paragraph was read where I did not both laugh and cry.

Thank you Cathy and Bernard for writing this book and allowing us a window into your life while completing your journey / adventure.