Profile for Matt > Reviews

Gone Girl [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2014]
Gone Girl [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2014]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Thriller, 22 May 2015
This will be a no spoiler review.
This was an enjoyable thriller, well acted, well written and well directed. There is a good build up in tension throughout the first half of the film, and I felt properly drawn into the story. The change in pace in the second half of the film is well judged and gives a great scope for the leads to add to the characters. Ben Affleck does well in the main as a regular guy under the kind of pressures that are easy to imagine, but the star of the show is undoubtedly Rosamund Pike, she burns bright in every scene and was rightly nominated for the performance.
Overall I would recommend this film to all people who like taut thrillers with psychological undertones.

Into the Woods [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Into the Woods [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Musical Adaptation, 20 May 2015
There was a lot to like about this adaptation of the stage musical to film. The cast was great and I cannot think of one person who was not at least good in their role. Emily Blunt and Anna Kendrick were indeed very good, even James Corden (whom I normally cannot stand) was entertaining in his 'everyman' role as the Baker.
The singing was generally very good too, and the songs and lyrics were exceptional as you would expect from a Stephen Sondheim Musical. The sly tongue in cheek air of the show was kept throughout the film which I thought was the right decision.
However there were one or two faults with it in my view. Nothing that was a killer to me enjoying the movie but they were a bit distracting. A lot of the characters had interesting starts but then kind of tailed off into nothing (Rapunzal and her prince, the baker having a sibling, etc) Whilst these were obviously not integral to the main plot it seemed a bit weird to have them at all and then just not do anything with them. Also at times the performances dipped ever so slightly beyond camp and knowing and into hammy.
Overall I would say that this is an entertaining film for an evening, and I am sure I will watch it again.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things: A Kingkiller Chronicle Novella (Kingkiller Chronicle 3)
by Patrick Rothfuss

4.0 out of 5 stars Not more story, but strangely beautiful, 13 May 2015
This is an elegant and nicely written vignette on Auri, a favourite character from the world of the King Killer chronicles. What it is NOT is a novel, or in any way a continuation of the story from those books.
I found it whimsical and enchanting, it was a pleasure to read and almost like freeform prose or poetry at points, delighting in the use of language and the strangeness of solitude.
This is definitely not going to be for everyone (as the author says in his foreword) but if like me you love drifting stories full of evocative descriptions and pretty language then this might appeal to you.

Midnight Memories
Midnight Memories

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Present for happy little nephew, 12 May 2015
This review is from: Midnight Memories (Audio CD)
This was a present for my 6 year old nephew, and he was totally delighted with it.
I am not a huge fans of boy band music, but I found this to be fine when on in the background.

The Best Of Joan C. Baez
The Best Of Joan C. Baez

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice, 5 May 2015
This is a fine collection of Songs, and the sound quality is very good. My only complaint is that some of the more obvious choices for a best of album seem to have not made the cut. Definitely worth owning for casual fans of Joan Baez or American folk music, but there are more complete collections out there

Birdman [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Birdman [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Michael Keaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece of cinematography, 5 May 2015
I love this film. Visually it is stunning using the digital editing process to look like one seamless shot the whole way through. This really taps into the theatre setting and for me brought across the claustrophobia of the backstage environment and how it added pressure to the characters inside it.
Michael Keaton gives an amazing performance, subtle, manic, brave, and spellbinding, having watched the film I cannot see any other actor taking the lead and filling it with so much pathos and emotion. In fact every member of the cast is really very good in this film, without one weak link that I can remember.
This is intentionally an arty film about art, and that may put some people off, but I would recommend that you watch this even if you normally avoid this type of film. There is definitely something for everyone in it.

Interstellar [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Interstellar [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but incredible, 27 April 2015
I enjoyed Intersteller a lot. It is definitely not a film that everyone will love, but the visuals are incredible, the story makes sense within its own parameters, and the acting is excellent.
The visual effects team are worth whatever money they cost because the shots in space are truly breath-taking, you never once feel that this is not what it is like out there in deep space and I was captivated.
The film is long, and the first 30 mins are a slow build towards the 2nd act, however I appreciate a film that takes its time to set itself up and doesn’t feel the need to be all out from the beginning. I can appreciate that some people will not like this style, but for me it worked.
The really divisive thing I think will be the last 30 mins, I will not go into spoilers here, but for me it did work as an extension of what had previously been looked at. It is not perfect, and I am sure that [plenty of people will hate it, but I found the film had built up enough credit for me to get through this section and not have my enjoyment reduced.
I would recommend this film to anyone, but I know that some people will have a very different reaction than I did.

In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder Mysteries Series Book 3)
In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder Mysteries Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars New York Noir, 27 April 2015
This is the 3rd Matthew Scudder Novel, so by now the formula is firmly in place. I really enjoyed this book as a quick and riveting read. The central mystery is efficiently outlined, run through, and dealt with realistically. For the first time I felt that we got some really interesting character development on Scudder and his relationships with people.
The only slightly off thing I found was that again he just falls in bed with a woman on their first meeting in what can only be described as unlikely circumstances. I put this down as a product of the book being from the 70’s and it does not impact on the story negatively so it is ok.
Overall I found this well written, tense and compelling and definitely recommend this series of books.

Harley Quinn Volume 2 HC (The New 52)
Harley Quinn Volume 2 HC (The New 52)
by Jimmy Palmiotti

5.0 out of 5 stars Great use of comics No. 1 lady, 22 April 2015
Another dose of silly, fun, and interesting action with the Mistress of Mayhem. This time with added Powergirl.
These ladies are my Two favourite female characters in comic books, and the stories and art do them both justice in this collection. I really feel that Harley is beginning to come into her own in the New 52 and having her own title again gives a chance for her to grow and become even more popular.
I enjoyed this from beginning to end, and cannot wait for more!

Z-Burbia 5: The Bleeding Heartland
Z-Burbia 5: The Bleeding Heartland

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 21 April 2015
Another slice of apocalypse mayhem with the Stanfords.
Whilst this was not my favourite of the series I found it to be an improvement overall on the last instalment 'Cannibal Road' The story is well paced with lots of incidents and everything you would expect from a zombie book. I like the framing of the story with the column moving across the states so that things get changed up and new characters can be met.
The few weaknesses are similar to things that have shown up before, narrative threads that lead nowhere when a good mystery seems to be starting out, and the decision to spend time building up certain characters before wasting them. There is an argument that this fits with the apocalypse theme, but by now there are so many established people in this world that it seems a bit cheap to build up new ones to despatch.
Overall I found this really entertaining again and can't wait for the next!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20