Profile for Charlie > Reviews

Hutzler Banana Slicer Cutter Great for Cereal/Sandwitches/Splits/Hot Dogs NEW
Hutzler Banana Slicer Cutter Great for Cereal/Sandwitches/Splits/Hot Dogs NEW
Offered by Newin Home

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Hutzler, thank you so much...., 2 May 2014
The day I discovered this banana slicer, my life became complete and I was finally able to spend my time doing the things I enjoy instead of slogging away day after day struggling to slice those damn things. Banana after banana tossed into the bin in a desperate fit of despair, tears rolling down my face as I proclaimed "I just can't do it, I just can't slice this banana if ONLY there was some other way". That day it arrived, my face lit up with sheer joy and I skipped into the kitchen to slice my very first banana without all the trauma previously associated with it, only to suddenly decide en route to the kitchen that I didn't like bananas after all. Rather than see such a wonderful invention go to waste, I have tried to find other uses for it instead. At the moment, my partner uses it as a handy rack to hang his ties on. Other uses have included a plantain slicer, a perch for bees to rest on in the garden between all that marvellous pollenating they do (without bees we wouldn't have such a need for a banana slicer as there would be no banana's...SAVE THE BEES!) AND if you purchase 10 or so of these, you can make a banana themed mobile to decorate the fruit obsessed child's bedroom, fantastic bargain!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 11:55 AM GMT

The Happening [DVD] [2008]
The Happening [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, promising start but poor scripting and end, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Happening [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
After watching the first half of this film on tv and then deciding to miss "The Tudors" to watch the rest, I was slightly irritated to find that the end of the film wasn't anywhere as near as good as the beginning. It starts well, with all the random suicides it has a creepiness to it and I kept watching as I wanted to find out what this "thing" was all about. As the film went on, it seemed very disjointed and lacked any real direction. There seemed to be a rather long scene involving a slightly mad old lady which left me thinking she may have "something" to do with all this, but alas she didn't and her part in the film seemed rather pointless. The reason given for "the happening", was quite frankly a bit ridiculous, I thought there might be a little more to it then that. Think of day of the triffids but nowhere near as good (I was actually more impressed by the rubbery looking "heres one I made earlier" triffids then the acting and script in this film). The idea was actually a really good one but I don't think it was thought out well enough before it was scripted, it seemed very vague and unintelligent. The last third of the film particularly, seemed to have no direction at all and felt a bit hurried. The other thing I noticed is that some people seem to be immune to "the happening" which I felt should have been explored into more. Why show some people supposedly unaffected by the events but then not really use that as any sort of relevance to the story? This one was one of my main problems with the film, the fact that so many parts of the film seemed completely pointless to the overall outcome of the film (which wasn't anything astounding anyway). It's one of those films that you end up feeling as if the film has been cut short and also leaves you disappointed thinking "is that it?". An ok film when you just want something to watch, but don't expect to be massively impressed by it.

Unwitting Wisdom: An Anthology of Aesop's Fables
Unwitting Wisdom: An Anthology of Aesop's Fables
by Helen Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book to treasure, 15 Mar. 2011
I bought this book for myself with some Christmas money as I had seen it before in Waterstones but never got round to buying it. I love keepsake books that you can just pick up and look through any time you like, especially if they have such lovely illustrations as are in this book. The famous Aesop's fables are here recreated, along with Helen Ward's beautiful watercolour illustrations which capture their essence perfectly. Each fable still conveys the same moral message that the original does which I think is the intended idea. To me books like this are like works of art to be treasured! A definite recommendation.

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual read, 15 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Room (Paperback)
This book was described as being similar to The "Lovely Bones" which I didn't actually enjoy, but the plot looked an interesting one so I gave it a chance anyway. In my personal opinion, it's not really like "The Lovely Bones" and has a definitive character of it's own.
Jack is a little boy who lives with his mother in "Room", where he has always lived since he was born and never ventured from. As "Room" is all he has ever known, Jack has no knowledge of the world outside and believes what he sees on tv isn't real.
I really enjoyed this book and felt that it stayed with me for a long while after reading, which is always a sign of a thoroughly absorbing book in my opinion. It also only took me 3 days to read it as I kept picking it up to read a little bit more whenever I had the chance.
The book creates in the reader a sense of uncomfortable claustrophobia, as each day in a tiny 11x11ft room plays out. I kept looking around my own room imagining how awful it would be to be trapped in one room with no chance of going outside! As they always say, you can't miss what you don't know, so for Jack, his life in "Room" is a happy one. This in some ways is what makes the story quite disturbing, especially as you really pick up on the sense of frustration and hopelessness of Jack's mother. There is a really nice relationship between the two of them and I think that is one of the main reasons the book is so enjoyable. The first part of the story shows the bond they have particularly well.
The story is narrated entirely by Jack which I feel has both a positive and a negative impact. I think it is in someways unrealistic the way Jack speaks in a very childlike manner at one point, yet uses advanced words for someone his age in the next sentence. It is very inconsistent in that respect but didn't really detract from the story much for me. Some people have suggested that the book could have been narrated by both Jack and his mother but I'm not really sure this would have worked as well. I don't think this would have enabled much charachter development or allowed you to get into the mindset of Jack and how he sees the world. Having chosen to tell the story entirely with one narrative voice, Donoghue hasn't given herself much choice but to make Jack's use of language inconsistent, as certain events needed to be conveyed with an adult mind to make sense. Anyhow, Jack is as I gather supposed to be an intellectually advanced child, yet in some ways disturbed and socially/developmentally disadvantaged, so I think the way he talks is possibly supposed to reflect that. This is more apparent in the second part of the book as Jack has to adapt to and learn about the "outside".
The fact that Jack is able to watch tv, is also likely to have been written into the story deliberately I think. It is a way to get round narrative problems later on in the book, where if Jack knew nothing at all about the world (regardless if he thought it was "just tv") the story wouldn't have been able to flow and would have become tedious, Donoghue then having to use other charachters to explain to Jack EVERY single detail of the world outside. In this respect I think Donoghue has got the balance right.
The story slightly trails off a bit towards the end and doesn't have the same impact as the first half. The middle section is quite gripping (I was quickly turning the pages to see how "Plan B" was going to work out!) but maybe a little far fetched.
A very emotive book, slightly disturbing but also shows the special bond between a mother and her child. I highly recommend it.

Crystal Stone set of 12 Healing Crystals.
Crystal Stone set of 12 Healing Crystals.
Offered by GeoFossils®

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely gift or starter set if you are interested in crystals, 14 Sept. 2010
I looked at a few other sellers on here but some of them didn't have any reviews and I'm wary of buying things with no reveiws at all. I can tell you that this set is not at all disappointing and would make a lovely gift for somebody who has a new interest in crystals and crystal healing. I only really collect tumblestones at the moment as opposed to larger specimens so this set was great for me, and every single stone in the set is beautiful.

Whitethorn Woods
Whitethorn Woods
by Maeve Binchy

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of little stories rolled into one!, 9 July 2008
This review is from: Whitethorn Woods (Hardcover)
I first started reading this about a year ago and got over half way through but gave up because I couldn't get into it. Having nothing to read recently, I thought I would pick it up and have another go as I really do like to finish a book if I can. The story revolves around a sacred well in the middle of the Whitethorn woods in a place called Rossmore. What may appear on the outside to be a quaint and sleepy little Irish town, is revealed to be anything but through the stories of the people that live in and are connected to Rossmore.
I agree with other reviewers that have said is a more a collection of short stories then one long story, but the stories are connected in subtle ways and not just through the involvement of the holy well. I was able to get stuck into each individual story which played out chapter by chapter, and within each chapter, you would see things from the perspective of two different charachters which I liked. In parts it was a bit disjointed, and maybe a bit confusing to remember who some of the charachters were when they were mentioned again later in the book but I still really enjoyed reading it. The narrative voice for each charachter wasn't always spot on as some tended to sound the same, and one part, told from the view of a 10year old boy, sounded as if a middle aged person was telling it. However, I'm glad I chose to persist until the end this time as I found the book got much more enjoyable as the story went on.

Elsewhere
Elsewhere
by Gabrielle Zevin

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful look at the afterlife, 4 July 2008
This review is from: Elsewhere (Paperback)
I'm gathering this is a book aimed at teenagers which I didn't know when I read it, so being 25 I found the writing a little bit simplistic. However, I can't really complain as the premise is so very unique and unusual. Its such a lovely thought provoking story with some philosphical parts that don't come across as too preachy or forceful. It made me think about the afterlife differently, as if there can be some truth plucked from Zevin's idea of re-incarnation, if not exactly like that. I guess nobdy knows and thats why this book is so appealing.

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 July 2008
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
I wanted to enjoy this book much more then I did. To start with, I found the first chapter off putting. The description of Susie's murder made me feel sick and in my opinion it was not necessary to actually dedicate a chapter to it. I understand that things like this unfortunately do happen, so reading about it is incomparable to going through it, but I personally didn't think it needed to be described as it was. I can also see that the idea is maybe to bring home the horror of losing someone in this way, so we can esentially, almost feel what the family are going through as the chapters go on. However, I think it doesn't need to be described as it was to imagine the horror of rape and murder.
Other then that, I actually felt quite disappointed at Sebold's idea of heaven. The subject matter is depressing enough, so to have a heaven that is almost the same as earth just makes you want to give up altogether on reading any further. If Susie were able to watch and help her family, without heaven being described to us, and maybe being only suggested at, I would have enjoyed it more. The approach in the book took away the element of "wondering" what is beyond. There was also a personal counsellor in Susie's heaven, who played almost no part in the story and is only mentioned at the beginning.
I was frustrated because it should have been much more then it was. I don't really know why but I just wasn't absorbed enough in the book and charachters to really "feel" the emotions. You would think that given the subject, it would be a very emotional story, but something about the way it was written and handled just took away any potential it had for that.
The last line of the book I just felt was patronising and I also think the murderer was about as stereotyped as you can get.
I did think there was something right in the book, and that was the fathers reaction to his daughters death. Obviously everybody would react differently to such an awful thing, and I can only guess, but in my opinion the fathers reaction was well handled. That was the only thing I did feel emotional over, especially in one part of the book when he reminices over the times he spent with his daughter.
Overall, the book left me feeling depressed. Sebold should have been able to use the story to create a sense of hope or comfort out of such a horrific thing but to me she evidently failed. I don't want to be left feeling depressed by the end of a book and having read the synopsis of her other books, I think they will have the same effect, so I am going to steer clear. One reveiwer of her latest book said they felt "disturbed for a long time" after reading the book. I don't see how that can be a good thing. Make up your own minds but I defintely wouldn't reccommend "The Lovely Bones".

Echoes Of The Dance
Echoes Of The Dance
by Marcia Willett

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets better as the story moves on., 26 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Echoes Of The Dance (Paperback)
I couldn't really get into this book at first. I felt as if the introduction to the charachters was neverending and I was always waiting for something to happen. Towards the last third of the book, I realised nothing really was going to happen but that is when I started to enjoy it more. This story isn't about events exactly, its about people and relationships and how they deal with the various hurdles in their lives. There are snippets of the charachters looking back over the past and reflecting on how things then can influence their decisions now. The descriptions of the natural surroundings evoked my imagination as did the dance and the music talked about. I really liked the charachters of Roly and Daisy especially and found I became more interested in their lives as the book went on.

Thanks for the Memories
Thanks for the Memories
by Cecelia Ahern

4.0 out of 5 stars Better then "P.S I Love You" but not as good as "If you could see me now"!, 19 Jun. 2008
The 4th Cecilia Ahern book I have read, "Thanks for the memories" is not one of my favourite but I did enjoy it. I think the father was a really likeable, funny and warm charachter but I felt some of the other charachters didn't stand out as well as they could have. The theme was an unusual one but it seemed a bit more predictable then some of the other books in its plot. I suppose it wasn't quite so "fairytaleish" as "If you could see me now" and "A place called here" which I have come to like about Cecilia's books. Still an enjoyable story which touches upon the important subject of blood donation. That can only be a good thing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3