Profile for Jem Truth > Reviews

Content by Jem Truth

Jem Truth "hideoustruth" (England)

New York in The '70s
New York in The '70s

3.0 out of 5 stars Like most of Haines output these days, 29 Dec. 2014
Like most of Haines output these days, it's okay, has perhaps a few slightly memorable songs and the rest unmemorable. Keep thinking 'maybe I won't bother with his next' but keep giving him another chance, as he used to be my number one. Keep being left thinking he's churning out stuff not very good though. I'm getting closer each time...

Reeves The Sheffield Easel
Reeves The Sheffield Easel

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good product, really, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Reeves The Sheffield Easel (Toy)
A really good product, really. Very reasonably priced for something that is just practical; well designed and does what it needs to. You can spend another two hundred quid and get something less good. So don't bother; buy this. I have 3, and I will say that each one could do with being bent somewhat by hand in one way or other. This would be to get them entirely symettrical in some way or other. In other words there are slight imperfections in build, but these are easily accomodated simply by making one leg half an inch longer than the other, etc. Or you could actually bend the thing, but I don't dare in case I actually snap something. If I had the facility to weld metal at home I would not be worried. A very good product for the price. And regardless of the price actually since you will hardly find a better one by spending loads more. Compact, quite light, simple, practical, handles a good range of board size/height/angles. Most other easels fail in at least one of these, and can cost a heck of a lot more. It's the way it should be; after all, it is just a thing to hold a board with paper on it.

Fone-Case Motorola Moto G CE Approved UK 3 PIN Micro USB Mains Wall Charger
Fone-Case Motorola Moto G CE Approved UK 3 PIN Micro USB Mains Wall Charger
Offered by Fone-Case

3.0 out of 5 stars Works for me. V cheap, and yet it ..., 29 Dec. 2014
Works for me. V cheap, and yet it seems to do the job well. Maybe it will burn my house down tomorrow. I can only hope not.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good luck., 29 Dec. 2014
So far it works. This is not to be taken for granted in my experience of electrical products of any type these days. I've only had it a few months, so plenty of time to pack up tomorrow, which would obviously be far too soon considering the price. This product has very thin wire/cable. Thinner than what it was replacing, and yet I think it was at least as expensive. I would have thought at this price a thicker wire would be used. I've never seen thinner wire on earphones. Good luck.

CATEYE Volt 300 Cycle Light
CATEYE Volt 300 Cycle Light
Offered by GsportsUK

4.0 out of 5 stars So far seems good., 29 Dec. 2014
So far so good. Had it a month or so, and it hasn't broken. Tempting fate there, as they say. It is v bright, and that is on the lowest level. Also lasts a v long time on this setting. Have charged it only once so far, using it 4 days a week, 6 mile bike ride each day. I angle it so i can see it hitting the ground about 3 metres in front of me. I haven't yet tested properly how this looks to oncomers, but I hope this is 'angled down' sufficiently not to blind other road/cyclepath users. Some of these decent bike headlights these days are indeed blinding (seeming brighter in intensity even than car lights on main beam) and I expect if used on full power setting this would be one of them, and I don't want to be one of those causing this annoyance/blindness to others! Seems well made. I am v careful to take on/off the bike 'gently' in the hope that I won't break the (irreplacable - as mentioned in other reviews) plastic fitting. I do feel definitely that people can see me coming up from behind, when they see the flash of the lowest 'pulse' setting (or whatever it is called) on the ground near them. I only hope they don't think I'm an ambulance or something. I think you won't see much from the side, which seems a daft aspect of the design, but there is a small cut out in the casing which will show something, if not a lot.

Sony CFDS50 Classic CD and Tape Boombox with Radio - Black
Sony CFDS50 Classic CD and Tape Boombox with Radio - Black
Offered by Books and Media UK

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought it might be better, as it is a Sony, 29 Dec. 2014
Tape player does not work. Nope. No sound. The tape goes round, but no sound. No hiss, nothing. Evidently not connected to the speakers. I bought this as a replacement for this: Duronic RCD008/BK.
I thought it might be better, as it is a Sony, and it was twice the price. The former played CDs a total of 4 times before it broke. This one the tape player doesn't work, straight out the box. What faith do I have in my next attempt at buying a portable stereo that actually will work?? None. How are these things made? Are people involved? I mean, does anyone test them? How are things made so badly these days? I despair. Now got to arrange having this piece of rubbish sent back. Why are we not allowed to give a zero rating? Some experiences are worthy of a zero. My advice: God knows. Maybe if you spend a fortune you might actually have something that will actually perform its basic duties.

Duronic RCD008/RD Portable Compact Boombox CD Player with FM Radio -Red
Duronic RCD008/RD Portable Compact Boombox CD Player with FM Radio -Red
Offered by DURONIC

1.0 out of 5 stars the sound quality is very poor indeed. And MORE IMPORTANTLY it has stopped playing ..., 16 Nov. 2014
Don't buy this. I read the reviews, which made it seem a real bargain. However, the sound quality is very poor indeed. And MORE IMPORTANTLY it has stopped playing CDs altogether after about 6 plays!! Rubbish. Now just makes a stupid clicky noise for a few seconds before doing nothing when in CD mode. How do they make stuff so badly these days? I mean, what is it that was constructed so badly that it broke after 6 plays?? Junk. Would rather not give it a single star, but this does apparently mean 'I hate it'.

21st Century Man "Limited 2CD"
21st Century Man "Limited 2CD"

3.0 out of 5 stars Still growing, 20 Nov. 2009
Buy Haines always on day of release. Was at first underwhelmed. We expect a lot from him, and he used to deliver innovation where perhaps now there is more of the same. But then on further listening it gets better and better. Wot a rotter I now love - it makes me smile. There are other very good songs here, but they don't jump out. Achtung Mutha is patchy. I can't be bothered with the spoken word thing, which I think I read somewhere online about a year or more ago anyway. Haines should know this of his real fans. The tracks here are less good too, which explains why they didn't make the album proper.
His book was great. Concentration perhaps recently diluted.
Saw Mr Haines live and it was great. Electric guitar, good band. Like the old days.

the evangelist
the evangelist

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, so apt and very, very.... very good., 30 April 2008
This review is from: the evangelist (Audio CD)
I guess every Robert Forster fan is also a Go-betweens fan.
As is well documented Forster and the late Grant Mclennan had very differing styles of writing, perhaps unusually so to be accommodated for so long within a successful and friendly partnership, and band.

While Mclennan wrote many songs that I love, and even possibly more of the moving, heart-rending ones at that, Forster for me always had the edge.
The main reason, I think, was and still is his extaordinary uniqueness as an artist. Like so few others by this time in the game (at pushing 50) he remains vital and inspiring; never yet to repeat himself.

This album came with very high expectations, and exceeded them.
On first hearing it through every track delighted, and following tens of listens it has also stood up better than the other Forster solo albums, to be one of the very best albums I've heard in years.

It is perhaps partly due to the amount of Forster's (unusually) earnest and direct sentiments within. Obviously the passing of his closest friend factors highly through the subject matter - though not exclusively - and those songs are indeed beautiful, sensitive tributes.

Knowing Forster as we do, it is not surprising that honesty prevails here, and a palpable willingness to allow the influence of his late songwriting partner to come through as never before in his solo work.
Whilst Mclennan's actual contributions here bear the hallmark of the man melodically, he did not write many of the words in the final lyrics - and Forster has built respectfully and sympathetically around what there was (3 of these songs were started by McLennan, but barely in terms of lyrics).
One feels assured that Grant would have approved of the final results.

Production-wise it couldn't be better. A sublime treatment of arrangement, recording clarity, instrumentation and mix. It is not "acoustic" overall (as one or 2 media reviews have suggested) but is definately not over-adorned; featuring as it does beautiful string arrangements, Dylanesque use of piano and Hammond organ, and some gorgeous backing harmonies. There is also a good measure of Forster's recognisable guitar work, without which we'd be disappointed!

There is a theme of "perspective" on this album, with Forster more sombre and reflective than usual.
However, It is his take on this as ever which creates a massive and permanent grin at times, such as in "Don't Touch Anything" (a true Forster classic) with lines such as "Life is art. Art is life. But have you met my wife?..."

The final track "From Ghost Town" is mesmerising, and brings the tears. It also features the best harmonica refrain ever, by Forster or anyone else.

I'll confidently and proudly push this album at everyone I know - even if I've bored them stiff already with my obsession with Forster/Go-b's - and I'd tell them to read the lyrics along with it.