Profile for David Burke > Reviews

Content by David Burke

David Burke (Dublin, Ireland)

Brigadista: An Irishman's Fight Against Fascism
Brigadista: An Irishman's Fight Against Fascism
by Bob Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, 11 Feb. 2011
Bob died in 2009. Had Bob lived another year he would have seen Ireland destroyed by the bureaucrats of the IMF and the EU. The same fascists that Bob fought now in the form of Irish corrupt politicians have now destroyed his country. The book was inspiring and enjoyable, I would highly recommend it. Nobody can ever forget the image of a ninety year old Bob clenching his aging fist and shouting "NO PASARAN". Bob we need you today in Ireland, to shout "No Pasaran" to our corrupt, sick and threadbare political establishment.

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
by Timothy Egan

5.0 out of 5 stars Dust Bowl, 18 Dec. 2009
I loved this book. All the contents are factual but the book is enjoyable like a riveting novel. I loved every word. The characters were human, big, brave and never whining. In Ireland today we have a "property" dust bowl (!). Same type of unthinking greed has driven a (small) country to the brink. Same players though, Bankers, speculators and the working man just trying to do better.

Journey to the End of the Night
Journey to the End of the Night
by Louis-Ferdinand Celine

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 19 Oct. 2005
I live in Ireland in 2005, it's funny how our own corrupt, drunken, unsympathetic and acquisitive little country bears no fundamental difference from the world as described by Celine. Far from being depressed by this knowledge I find it liberating, I am confirmed in my view that human nature remains constant, change is slow and the semblance of civilisation is but a illusion manufactured and promulgated by a weak and spineless media.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2016 11:23 AM GMT

All 14 Eight-Thousanders
All 14 Eight-Thousanders
by Reinhold Messner

5.0 out of 5 stars All 14 Eight-Thousanders, 22 Dec. 2003
5 Stars ???? , more like 1 million and 5 stars. No words, I'm afraid to attempt a description as it may break the spell of this magnificent book, just buy and enjoy.

The White Spider: Story of the North Face of the Eiger (Paladin Books)
The White Spider: Story of the North Face of the Eiger (Paladin Books)
by Heinrich Harrer

5.0 out of 5 stars The White Spider, 22 Dec. 2003
This book is truly inspirational. I enjoyed every second of it. These are men who don’t know what CAN’T means, true heroes, in the vein of Joe Simpson and Reinhold Messner. Only now can I hope to understand 1% the type of men mountaineers are.