Profile for Mithras > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Recessional Op.96 No.4
Recessional Op.96 No.4

5.0 out of 5 stars Mathias hits asll the right notes., 3 Feb. 2015
Excellent piece, superbly performed.

Jubilate Op.67 No.2
Jubilate Op.67 No.2

5.0 out of 5 stars Mathias hits all the right notes., 3 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Jubilate Op.67 No.2 (MP3 Download)
Excellent piece, superbly performed.

A Mathias Organ Album
A Mathias Organ Album
by William Mathias

4.0 out of 5 stars A good collection - if you need some pieces you haven't already got., 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Mathias Organ Album (Paperback)
My only gripe with this book is that I had to buy it to get two pieces unobtainable elsewhere. Four of the pieces I have already. But Mathias' music has always delighted me, and for the price this was an OK purchase. The music itself would of course get 5 stars - one got knocked off because of the duplication.

Judith Weir: The Wild Reeds
Judith Weir: The Wild Reeds
by Music Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Eastern Promise..., 14 Jan. 2015
Judith Weir's best known organ pieces, Ettrick Banks and Wild Mossy Mountains, take their inspiration from Scottish landscape. With this relatively new work she departs from this geographic arena and finds the music of eastern European folk music a satisfying departure point for this set of variations. About grade 7 standard.

Tarik O'Regan: Colimacon
Tarik O'Regan: Colimacon
by Tarik O'Regan

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth learning., 14 Jan. 2015
Excellent music from an emerging contemporary composer, well worth learning. About grade 6 standard.

Criminal Minds - Season 9 [DVD]
Criminal Minds - Season 9 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shemar Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminal Minds does it again!, 2 Jan. 2015
Once again a five star set of episodes to go with the other five star box sets of Criminal Minds I've bought. One reviewer has characterised this season as "dark"; as far as I can tell it is no darker than previous seasons.(This was a Christmas present but if was got from Amazon.) The stories as ever are great, as are the scripts and actors. Ok it's formulaic like most shows that air week by week, but it's a fine formula. Can't wait for the 10th series!

At the Organ With Keith Chapman
At the Organ With Keith Chapman
by Keith Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable addition to the organist's library, 24 Dec. 2014
This actually arrived a day later than the estimated time but that is pretty good for Christmas post! The book is excellent. Like others I bought it for Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella but there are some other goodies here too. The Morning has Broken ;piece looks very useful for both weddings and funerals (it is a favourite with both) and the Hark the Herald is easy enough for me to get it ready beforer the Christmas season finishers. Highly recommended book.

Peter Maxwell Davies: Capstone
Peter Maxwell Davies: Capstone
by Chester Music
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Maxwell Davies - "Capstone" for Organ. An initial evaluation., 29 Nov. 2014
This is a substantial work which will be a challenge to both listener and player alike. Recognisable Maxwell Davies musical devices such as cross rhythms, frequent changes of time signature and a plethora of accidentals abound A secure technique will be required of the performer as well as an organ with substantial forces. I calculate that for me to get up a performance which I would be comfortable offering to the public will take me about 2-4 months but it is certainly going to be worth the effort.

Philip Glass: Facades (Score)
Philip Glass: Facades (Score)
by Dunvagen Music Publishers

5.0 out of 5 stars Facades by Philip Glass, 17 Aug. 2014
I have been a devotee of Philip Glass's music for many years, and play some of his music for organ - Mad Rush, Contrary Motion, Dance 4 (all available on Donald Joyce's excellent recording Glass - Organ Works) but have never seem an organ version of what might be one of is most well-known pieces. I therefore purchased this score with the intention of making an organ arrangement t of it. The score itself may be thought by some as a bit pricey, but it is a "print to order" item in the composer's own hand, and I confess that like having scores which fare in the composer's own hand as something of the character of both the music and composer can be communicated. (Glass's Music in Contrary Motion is also in the composer's handwriting, as are my copies of John Tavener's Mandelion, Gastyne's Cantique de Joie and Judith Bingham's St Bride assisted by angels.)

Piping Blues
Piping Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful disc, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Piping Blues (Audio CD)
I was given this for Christmas (having dropped probably over 50 hints and remarking that it is available from Amazon) and I was not disappointed. There are some wonderful moments on this CD. I have to disagree with the previous reviewer however, as I believe that there is a genuine blues/jazz feel evoked in much of the playing. As a practising organist myself, I have ordered the sheet music for two of the pieces (Die Ganze Welt Hast Du Uns Überlassen and Aria On a Chaconne) and I suspect I shall fgind myself ordering more! PS: I have also now got the sheet music for Be Thou My Vision (tune Slabe arr Gardonyi).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4