Profile for E. J. Hothersall > Reviews

Content by E. J. Hothersall

E. J. Hothersall "numpty features" (Stoke on Trent, England)

Clest F&H Mushroom LED Light Sensing lamps Night light for kids room Valentine's gift free shipping L-003

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!, 1 Jan. 2016
This is a lovely item but within moments of plugging it in my3 year old had managed to take it apart, exposing the soldered electrical joints while it was plugged in. Please don't leave this in the same room as a child!

I have reported it to the seller.

Energy Saving Creative Design LED Night Light Bed Lamp
Energy Saving Creative Design LED Night Light Bed Lamp
Offered by AzureView

5.0 out of 5 stars Written in error - wrong product, 1 Jan. 2016
Oops.

Plan Toys Cooking Utensils
Plan Toys Cooking Utensils

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and Fair trade!, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Plan Toys Cooking Utensils (Toy)
I got this and a plastic set at the same time for my daughter. Not a single plastic pan remains, whereas these pans still look brand new, and they've all been played with just as much. I love their solidity and their nice wooden handles. And my children seem to like the way they sound like real pans. Certainly worth the investment.

Wonderworld Wooden Rainbow Sound Blocks
Wonderworld Wooden Rainbow Sound Blocks
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and long-lasting, 30 Oct. 2011
I was bought these for my daughter when she was about 1. She is now 4, with a 20 month old brother, and they both play with these lovely blocks frequently. Mostly, they are used as percussion. But they also build towers, and play at shining lights through the windows. The lid to the box was lost a long time ago, but the main storage box is still going strong. I think these blocks will eventually be put away as special toys for visiting children, but I reckon they'll still be fine for the grandchildren! So nice to know you get all this from an ethical company, too.

Where Does it Hurt?: What the Junior Doctor did next
Where Does it Hurt?: What the Junior Doctor did next
by Max Pemberton

5.0 out of 5 stars The further adventures of..., 21 Mar. 2010
I enjoyed the first book, but found this one more engaging and in many ways more interesting, mostly because I think lots of other people have written well-observed books about being a junior doctor, but "Where does it hurt?" looks at an area of life and medical practice that very few people (even other doctors) ever think about.

My only quibble would be the title - it suggests that the book will be much more medical than it really is. For me this is a book about the people first and their problems (especially the medical ones) second.

Where will he go next though? That's the real question...

Lamaze My First Fish Bowl
Lamaze My First Fish Bowl
Offered by Care-by-Mail

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and not too expensive, 30 July 2008
I got this for my 7 month old daughter to teach her about "putting things in and taking things out". It took her a while to get it, but she always loved the individual toys, and chewing on the "bowl". These days one or other of the little fishies is always in her hands - small and very portable, with lots of different experiences in one reasonably priced toy. Would buy as a present for every baby I encounter!

Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
Feast: Food that Celebrates Life
by Nigella Lawson

4.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous, a great Nigella introduction, 7 Mar. 2005
Nigella Lawson's "How to cook" was the most inspiring book I've ever had in my kitchen, and believe me, I read a lot of cookbooks! "Feast" continues in a similar vein of gluttony and wonderful food, but as has been noted by other reviewers, contains many repeated recipes. I feel that this will be most enjoyed by people who don't own her other books. The introductions are wonderfully written, the section on funerals moving and poignant. I got this for Christmas, and I'm glad I didn't fork out for it myself, but I have used it several times since.

Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica
Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica
by Sara Wheeler

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into a mystery most of us will never see, 7 Mar. 2005
I really enjoyed Sara Wheeler's insights into a strange and unforgiving world that very few of us will ever have a privilege to see. Perhaps the book doesn't cover the controversies of Antarcitca enough - the constant battle to turn the continent into a giant oil field is one of the last great eco-battles. But in essence, no-one could read this book and be unmoved by the beauty of the place, and feel a little jealous.