Profile for Laura > Reviews

Content by Laura

Laura

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
foolsGold Pro Easy Carry Dual Slot Knitting Bag for Wool and Yarn with 2 Organiser Sections and Zip Pocket - Teal
Offered by HotShuffle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag!, 19 Dec. 2016
The excellent reviews for this bag prompted me to get it and I haven't been disappointed. Made of tough yet lightweight canvas material, with a polka dot lining, it is perfect for carrying around with you. There is a small handle on the top and it comes with a strap, so it can be worn across the body as well. It's great to work from, keeping the wool clean and preventing tangles.

Pagan Ways Tarot
Pagan Ways Tarot
by Anna Franklin

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning cards and a detailed book on symbolism, 27 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Pagan Ways Tarot (Paperback)
This is a beautiful deck, with colourful and stunning cards featuring people of all ages. The imagery is easy to read for a beginner or anyone familiar with the Rider-Waite system. All the Minor Arcana cards are pictorial and each card in the deck has a keyword at the bottom. The cards are just the right size - big enough to admire the artwork, but not so big as to make shuffling difficult for those with smaller hands.

It comes with a detailed book (instead of a Little White Book) which explains about the journey of the Fool from a Pagan perspective, before looking at each card and its Pagan symbolism, in turn. The cards are shown in full-colour in the book. The box it comes in is pretty sturdy, with a magnetic close lid, and the book fits in there too.

Overall, if you're a Tarot reader and/or collector looking for a deck with Pagan themes, this set would be an excellent choice.

Le tarot noir, imagerie médiévale populaire : Avec 1 jeu de 78 cartes
Le tarot noir, imagerie médiévale populaire : Avec 1 jeu de 78 cartes
by Matthieu Hackière
Edition: 3.5" and 5.25" disks

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful set, 27 Nov. 2016
A large and beautiful deck in the Tarot de Marseilles tradition, with muted colours and stunning gilded edges. The cards look both old-fashioned and modern at the same time, and are made of strong card stock. The backs are black and non-reversible, with a single flower design. As others have pointed out, the deck comes in its own box, which also contains a large book in French with full colour pictures of the cards. Whether you're purchasing this deck as a collector and/or as a reader, you won't be disappointed.

Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards
Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards
by Kim Huggens

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh perspective, 27 Nov. 2016
A great reference for beginners and more experienced Tarotists alike. The book draws together different perspectives on all the key topics (the Major and Minor Arcana, tips and tricks for reading, spreads - creating and learning them, how to learn more) and includes a series of thought-provoking exercises. The combination of all of these encourages the reader to develop their own associations and conclusions about the cards. This is invaluable to someone looking to develop a fresh view on the cards, or perhaps delve into Tarot for the first time. The approach is friendly and accessible, and the way the book is divided up makes it easy to dip in and out of the sections. I come back to this book time and time again.

Practical Ethnography: A Guide to Doing Ethnography in the Private Sector
Practical Ethnography: A Guide to Doing Ethnography in the Private Sector
by Sam Ladner

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 7 Aug. 2016
If you work in design, or any other field where understanding customer perspectives and values is key, you'll want to get a copy of this book. While you're at it, you might also want to get a set of page markers and a notebook. There is so much packed in to this concise volume, and none of the words are wasted. All essential reading and advice for using ethnographic techniques in a non-academic setting. What's more, it's written in an accessible and easy to use way, with tables of information laid out clearly throughout. I wish I'd bought a copy much sooner. If you're interested in design research and/or applied social science in business, bump this to the top of your "to read" list. I can't recommend it enough.

4" Portable Retro USB Fan - BLACK - Light-Weight Portable Desk Fan (4 inch)
4" Portable Retro USB Fan - BLACK - Light-Weight Portable Desk Fan (4 inch)
Offered by Orzly

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 8 July 2016
Great little fan! Really quiet, yet powerful enough to keep a nice breeze going. Brilliant that it is so portable too. Really impressed (as are my colleagues!)

Davina - High Energy Five [DVD]
Davina - High Energy Five [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall
Offered by figswigs

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic DVD!, 13 Feb. 2009
I love a bit of aerobics, but find it hard to fit in gym classes around running my own business, so having DVDs on hand is very helpful - I can take a class whenever I have the time!

I bought this DVD off the strength of its reputation, as Davina's DVDs are amongst the most highly rated by fitness magazines and online reviewers. It's easy to see why, as the instructors Jackie and Mark offer you different options for the moves, based on your fitness. They frequently remind you about the importance of warm up and cool down, and let you know to take a lower option if you're feeling tired by the later stages of the routine.

While Davina's silliness can really grate on occasion, it is nice to see that the instructors have a sense of humour too - all whilst continuing the moves and encouraging you to do the same.

The thing that I love most about this DVD is its mix-and-match sections - you can choose which ones you want to do and in what order, so you can decide what suits you on the day.

Whenever I use this DVD, I feel as if I'm brimming with energy afterwards and can definitely see the improvements. Highly recommended!

Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga)
Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Characters unrecognisable in a frustrating third installment, 4 Jan. 2009
Eclipse is the third instalment of the Twilight Saga, and as you make your way through the book, that point is hammered home. The story begins to "lose its bite", with the characters virtually unrecognisable in parts, and the plot appearing to lurch all over the place.

The dialogue is stilted, annoying and, yes, downright cheesy, in parts. The pithy exchanges from Twilight are a long-forgotten memory.

The behaviour of the characters in this book was, by far, the most irritating part, with the main characters of Edward, Bella and Jacob all acting out in selfish, ridiculous and frankly stupid moments to get their own way.

Edward's possessiveness becomes OTT, Jacob's arrogance reaches new levels and both treat Bella as if she hasn't got two brain cells to rub together (which, granted, you do begin to wonder yourself as her own behaviour cranks the dial on "silly" and "irritating").

In favour of the book, it does serve some purpose in giving us some background on some of the minor characters and this history is a welcome and worthwhile addition to the Saga story. The interaction between Jacob and Edward is an interesting one, but as a result of the clumsy handling of the plot-line, my interest quickly turned to irritation.

The idea was there for Eclipse, but sadly, the execution was not. This book seems like filler in an otherwise entertaining Saga. I remain hopeful for the fourth book, and even after this disappointment, I'll still be completing the full set, if only for the memories of Twilight and New Moon.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1: 1/4 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1: 1/4 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 11 Dec. 2008
I picked up a copy of Twilight out of sheer curiousity, having heard about the film release. Being a twenty-something fan of the vampire themes in Joss Whedon's Buffy and Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, I was instantly intrigued...

It seems to have been marketed as more of an adult book over here in the UK, which I was somewhat relieved about. Its appeal can easily be likened to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, which covered both teen and adult issues, and managed to attract fans in just about every age bracket. I think Meyer could have possibly made the themes in Twilight a bit darker if the market for this book had been entirely adult, but having heard snippets of what happens in some of the sequels, perhaps I had better withhold my judgement!

In a similar way to the Da Vinci Code or the Harry Potter series, the writing will not mark this book as a literary classic, but the story - and the character of Edward - have already made it a much more powerful beast: a cult classic.

The story of Bella and Edward is captivating, and enthralling. Admittedly, there are some clumsy turns of phrase, the odd cheesy line, and some all-too-easily resolved plot quandries, but if you happen to notice these along the way, you quickly forgive and forget as the story gathers pace.

The flirtation between Bella and Edward is electric, and it's easy to see why the character of Edward has so many fans. I was quite happily entrenched in this one aspect of the story... and then the pace suddenly picked up dramatically, speeding the story towards its film-tastic conclusion.

Accessible, thrilling, sexy and difficult to forget... As soon as I finished Twilight, I already had the sequel New Moon ready and waiting.

My Health Coach: Manage Your Weight (Includes An Exclusive Pedometer) (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Clearance Game Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, portable encouragement in a healthier lifestyle, 6 Aug. 2008
I'm reasonably fit and have an active job, but I know I could be fitter... Like most people, I have a busy schedule and don't always make time to exercise as much as I could, outside of work. This "game" has been a great inspiration to me and I am already feeling the benefits!

Like most fitness plans or routines, you get out of this what you put in - if you lie and say you did one of the challenges when you didn't... you're only cheating yourself! So obviously, you need a bit of will power - or at the very least a vow to yourself that you will follow your Coach's advice.

If you're up for the challenge, then My Health Coach is for you! Like the description says, you don't need to spend long at all with it each day. I like to spend 5 minutes in the morning, choosing my challenge or challenges for the day - then I come back for 5 minutes at the end of the day to note the food I ate and the activity I did. Be sure to "Wrap the day" when you've done both, as you can't go back and check it off after that day has finished. I did try to alter the DS date setting so I could go back and "Wrap" the previous day (i.e. get a little tick on the calendar) but annoyingly, the game knew what I was trying to do! It would be nice to have the option to "tick" the day once its finished.

The Health Coach covers your eating habits (including your cooking, visits to restaurants, willingness to try new foods) and your activity (including your pedometer count, any exercise or activity for the day). You will be set targets for the day - usually a specific number of steps on the pedometer, a number of minutes of activity (e.g. 30 - could be as simple as a walk during your lunch break), 1 or more challenges and finally, you get an extra tick if you balance your food and activity.

The challenges are quite fun and range from minute challenges (those to be done straight away) to 24-hour challenges (which you can complete any time during the day). You are offered a mixture of food and fitness challenges (you can do up to 6 in any one day) to choose from and you can change the types of challenges you want by answering in your Coaching sessions.

As some people have mentioned, the pedometer is slightly larger than most, to accomodate the DS connection point. I haven't had a problem with it and wear it throughout my day. If it bothers you, you are able to enter the step count manually, so you could always use a smaller one. It's been a very interesting way to monitor how much walking I do every day and you get activity points for the amount of steps.

I haven't had a problem with entering my food - it does take a couple of days to get used to which category the food has been entered under and as its not an exhaustive list, you may have to substitute some things. Some of it is a little Americanised, but it shouldn't cause much of a translation issue for most Brits.

Overall, I have really enjoyed using my Health Coach - I have been using it every day for nearly a fortnight now and not only am I eating much more healthily but I am also getting closer to achieving my fitness goals. For me, it has definitely been worth the money and I would recommend it to others who would like a portable bit of encouragement in a healthier lifestyle. I have given the game 4 stars as I think it could be improved but it is easy-to-use and it changes its goals as you improve or as you alter your weight in the Passport section. I like it especially because it emphasises that the more you exercise, the more you will need to eat appropriate food to fuel the body.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2008 11:43 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3