Profile for C. Bowles > Reviews

Content by C. Bowles

C. Bowles "Breathing Space Personal Growth" (Bristol, UK)

Mindfulness for Creativity: Adapt, create and thrive in a frantic world
Mindfulness for Creativity: Adapt, create and thrive in a frantic world
by Dr Danny Penman

2.0 out of 5 stars Less useful than I'd hoped, 4 Jan. 2016
As a Mindfulness teacher myself, with an interest in creativity, I was looking forward to reading this book. However, as others have said, it is fairly derivative apart from some additional research data. I'm getting a bit concerned about the squashing-down of the basic meditation practices into shorter and shorter time frames as it feeds into the idea that we are all "too busy", which is a perception that Mindfulness is supposed to address! As a consequence the audio tracks sound rushed and don't allow time for the listener to focus on their experience. All in all I don't think this book adds a lot, but might be useful for people who want an intro to Mindfulness that isn't focused on stress, depression or illness.

Life with Full Attention: A Practical Course in Mindfulness
Life with Full Attention: A Practical Course in Mindfulness
by Maitreyabandhu

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mindfulness "Must Read"!, 12 Oct. 2009
This book is a real gem! As a Mindfulness teacher, I'm constantly on the look-out for good quality resources that I can pass on to my students and that will help me to deepen and strengthen my own practice; Maitreyabandhu's book combines substantial insight and experience with humorous common sense and a firm grounding in the real world.

Written in an easily accessible style by the leader of the London Buddhist Centre's "Breathing Space"(no relation!) programme and following the now well-established 8 week format, the book takes us step by step through a process of becoming more conscious and appreciative of the world around us and of our own inner processes and experience. What I particularly like is the emphasis on integrating Mindfulness into all aspects of our daily lives, from organising ourselves and completing unfinished business, to appreciating art and nature and exploring relationships with others. The spiritual dimension is there throughout, and the book has a solid foundation in Buddhist teachings, but you definitely don't have to be a Buddhist to benefit, and it's very much left to the reader to decide how far they want to engage with the spiritual aspects of the practice.

A great addition to the rapidly-expanding Mindfulness library, and a "must" for anyone interested in living a fuller, richer life.