Profile for J. Hull > Reviews

Content by J. Hull

J. Hull (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Vanwalk Travel Umbrella - "Dupont Teflon" 10 Resin-Reinforced Fiberglass Ribs - Auto Open Close Button,Sturdy, Portable and Lightweight for Easy Carrying, Windproof
Offered by Vanwalk

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent umbrella for both windy and wet conditions, 14 Aug. 2016
This is a really great umbrella. Living in both a windy and wet city such as Edinburgh, it's really important to have something that can shield you from both while holding itself together – and this umbrella absolutely fits the bill. The frame is solid, and the build quality is clearly very high. There is a nice springiness near the top which gives the top a little leeway in windy conditions. It's because of this that it doesn't simply break when a strong wind hits it.

It has a really nice look, too - simple, but classy – which means it goes pretty nicely with any kind of outfit. It's also really easy to use, with the umbrella springing open with the press of a button. Pressing this again returns it to its flattened state with a pop which also knocks off all the loose water gathered on the top. It's a nice touch to a very well-made umbrella.

The only downside is that the outer slip cover is a little too tight making it quite hard to return the umbrella to the case. To be honest, this hasn't really been an issue for me since I don't use the case itself, but if you were to use it I imagine this would be a bit of a nuisance. That said, it's a very small niggle to an otherwise excellent and well-priced umbrella that can withstand the myriad of conditions that we're inevitably victims of here in Britain.

Luxebell® Apple Watch Stand, 2 in 1 Bamboo Charging Stand Charger Dock Station Cradle Holder for 38mm 42mm Apple Watch and iPhone 6s Plus / 6s / 6 Plus / 6 / 5s / 5c / 5 / 4s /4 and Other Smartphones
Offered by Simple Tek

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive but fiddly to use, 7 Feb. 2016
I received this item in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. However, I should warn readers that following the publication of this review with 3 stars, the manufacturer contacted me and asked me to either raise the score or delete it. I refuse to change my score, so it will stay the same, but I suggest caution in reading some of the other reviews.

This stand a pretty simple and attractive-looking item. It works as a stand for your phone and smartwatch at the same time, and there's plenty of room for almost any kind of smartphone currently available. The phone sits nicel​y on the stand and feels pretty sturdy. The gap is wide enough for the phone to fit with a case on too. All you get with your purchase is the stand itself, so there are no cables provided. However, there are gaps and ridges which have been designed for wires to fit through.

The problem I have with this item is that the lightning cable for my iPhone comes in through the rear of the stand and then curves upwards to go into the bottom of the phone. What this means is that you have to bend the cable through, and it's really fiddly to handle. Honestly, I gave up using this stand after a couple of charges because it was a bit of a nuisance to set up my phone. I also thought it would be nice if the stand had a hole for the audio port on the iPhone 6, too, but alas this is not the case, which means I can't use the stand for my phone when I plug my speakers in, which is a shame.

All in all, it's a pretty decent stand, but it's a bit awkward to use. It is an attractive and compact item, though, and feels pretty sturdy in construction.

Star Wars Battlefront (PS4)
Star Wars Battlefront (PS4)
Offered by SelectGames

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Star Wars experience, but a little thin on content, 24 Dec. 2015
Star Wars Battlefront is something which Star Wars fans have longed after for the longest time, and playing it now is like welcoming back an old friend with the warmest embrace. In recent years it's been easy to forget just how wonderful Star Wars is, what with the divisive prequel trilogy of films leaving a sour taste in the mouths of those who fell in love with the original films. Star Wars Battlefront, however, reminds me of why I love Star Wars. It drives me through iconic locations from the original films, taking me back to childhood and watching the trilogy with my dad in a single sitting, and living the life of someone in a galaxy far, far, away. It utilises those classic sound effects that are so iconic of the Star Wars franchise and a sweeping John Williams score which just happens to appear at precisely the right time, every time. It feels like I am playing the original Star Wars films, and that is something which demands praise.

'Battlefront leads me through iconic locations such as the snowy planet of Hoth, with its long-distance snow fields, rocky banks, and caves. It also takes me to the Ewok inhabited forests of Endor, complete with cheeky, scared, fleeing Ewok's as the battle between the Empire and the Resistance takes place below and around them. The rugged, volcanic rocks of Sullust and sands of Tatooine are also included, with all four of the locales standing out perfectly from each other. It all looks so good as well; this is a truly beautiful looking game. Not only are the maps remade with incredible detail, but each bit of foliage seemingly moving independently of each other, and it's all useful too, providing good little hiding places from the enemy. It's these little details which make the game so wonderful. Travelling across the wooden bridges that connect the trees of Endor it's hard not to be in awe as specific scenes are replayed from the film, except that I am playing them – I am living Star Wars, I am interacting with Star Wars, I am a part of the world. This is a feeling which consistently resounds throughout my playtime with the game, and honestly, it never gets old. And it's thanks to this, I suppose, that the limited content is less of an issue than it could have been.

Content wise, Star Wars Battlefront 'is a little thin on the ground. Out of the box there are 13 maps across 4 locations: Endor, Hoth, Sullust, and Tatooine; with an additional two maps from Jakku, a new location from the upcoming seventh Star Wars film, coming free to players in early December. Granted, the included maps are large and detailed, and genuinely good fun, but for a game lacking in a single player campaign, these maps are everything, and this is all you get for your full-priced outlay. Thankfully, and, honestly this is the least they could do given the short supply of maps, but there are plenty of modes to try out, although these can be a little hit or miss. After getting fed up of constantly dying on the ground in a poor session of online play, it's a nice change to switch to an air-based only mode instead, shooting down TIE Fighter's or X-Wing's alike, depending on which side you end up on.

'Unfortunately some of the modes are just generally dull, and even the most basic modes have been seen plenty of times before, such as Blast which is essentially a renamed version of Team Deathmatch. There are some brief single-player elements to the game in the shape of missions, which can also be completed co-operatively, but they feel more like very simple tutorials on how to play the game than a full-on section of the game. No, this game is all about the multiplayer, and all about the feeling of being in Star Wars. Although there are a fair share of different modes, most of them are not really all that interesting, and some of the more basic ones – the ones probably most likely to be played, in all honesty – are commonly seen in other shooters, which means that Star Wars Battlefront, after the initial awe, is basically a Battlefield game in a Star Wars skin. But oh my is this a good skin. It's beautiful, and wonderful, and brings all manner of joyful feelings to the fore, and is this not what a game such as this is all about?

Whilst I spend most of my time playing as either a generic member of the Rebel Alliance or as a stormtrooper, I don't seem to tire of either becoming Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, or any of the other heroes that can be controlled in small sections of the game, or simply playing alongside them. The feeling I get when I'm flying in my X-Wing defending the Millennium Falcon from enemies, or running through the snow fields of Hoth alongside Princess Leia or Luke Skywalker is an incredible feeling, especially when it's presented this well, with an authentic soundtrack and original Star Wars sound effects to boot.

Now I am by no means saying that charging full price for a game with limited content is okay, because I'm not. But it's hard to stay angry at a game that is so polished, so clean, and so perfectly realised in what it does 'offer. This is a game which achieves precisely what it set out to do: to recreate the world of Star Wars for players to live in. I suppose the issue, then, is just how long this limited world can keep the player entertained, and for me, after about 30+ hours of play, I am starting to feel like I want more. But would I have been happy paying full price for a 30 hour single player game? Yes, I would. So why shouldn't I be happy with 30+ good hours of multiplayer fun for the same price? Honestly, I would also have liked more content, since I have been, after all, playing over the same limited maps for those 30+hours, without any form of narrative development which I would have received in a single player game. '

If I want more, then I need the season pass, and the game constantly reminds me that it is available; that it costs almost as much as the base game, and that more content is indeed out there waiting to be played, if only I part with some more money. An advert for the season pass is included in the box of the game, and shows up on the homepage every time the game is started up, and tells me that new maps are available whenever I play the game as though my initial outlay is now outdated, and if I want to keep up with the other gamers I need to shell out a little more. And I think this is where the problem begins, because the base game feels like it should have more, and that more was planned all along, but that it's locked behind a paywall. Granted, this content was not available at launch, but because the base game is so limited, it feels like the game was released too early rather than being complete without the DLC. Instead of those extra maps appearing as a nice addition to a complete game, they instead feel like they have been taken away from the player only for us to be charged for the privilege of having them back. This is only exemplified by the lack of a single player campaign, meaning that multiplayer maps are everything to Star Wars Battlefront. '

So what we have, then, is a really adept shooter, set in a wonderful, detailed world, rich in uniquely Star Wars details. What we also have is a very limited base game that feel somewhat incomplete without the extra DLC maps. I got about 30 hours of good play time out of it, but the surprises ended at half of that time, and we need more than this in a full-priced game in 2015. What's included is wonderfully accomplished, however, with little to no obvious problems with the game that have plagued previous DICE shooters. Simply living in the world of Star Wars that this game provides is an exhilarating experience, and essentially the game achieves with aplomb what it set out to do. It's really hard to stay angry at such a wonderfully polished Star Wars game such as this, because it makes me feel so happy to play, and it's really hard to put a price on feelings such as this.

Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4)
Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4)
Offered by Bargain Games UK

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2015 11:53 AM GMT

Viva Labs #1 High Potency Vitamin D3 5000 IU in Non-GMO Olive Oil for Enhanced Absorption, 360 Softgels

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for Vegetarians!, 24 Dec. 2015
I was sent a complimentary bottle of these vitamin tablets by the manufacturer in exchange for an honest review, which I was happy to do since I was interested in getting some Vitamin D tablets anyway considering how blue I feel in the cold, dark, Scottish winters. Unfortunately these tablets are not vegetarian, however, since they contain gelatine. Yes, the gelatine is Halal, so they do cater to some people, but they are not suitable for vegetarians. Honestly, I find it a pretty poor move to include gelatine into a health supplement, and I believe (and usually this is the case) that health supplements should be suitable vegetarians and vegans alike. I think this is a really poor move on the part of the manufacturer, and is a clear sign that they were more interested in making bigger profits than putting together a good tablet. After all, gelatine is not the only option (or the best), it's simply the cheapest.

Since I am a vegetarian I have not been able to try these tablets, but my girlfriend has been taking them. It's very hard to review something like a vitamin supplement and its effects, but she says that they do seem to be helping her. I do like that the tablets are a good size and shape for easy swallowing, and I also like the main ingredient is olive oil so they do not smell bad. It's unfortunate that they are no suitable for vegetarians, though, and I think other people really ought to know this before purchasing since it is not clearly advertised as so on Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2016 4:57 PM GMT

USB 3.1 Type C Hub Data Sync Charging Adapter USB 3.1 Type C to 2 Ports USB3.0 Hub with type C Charging Port the USB-C Charging Port ONLY Works for 2015 Apple 12" New MacBook
Offered by PushingBest Direct Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - doesn't work as it should, 23 Oct. 2015
Disclaimer: I received this item free from the manufacturer in return for an honest review. As I'm sure is plainly apparent the manufacturer has had no say in my score whatsoever and this is purely my own personal experience with the item.

This product simply doesn't work as it should. The device simply does not allow you to use more than one of the ports at the same time. You can plug it into your USB-C port just fine and use it as a USB hub, but only if you have a single item plugged. If you try and use both USB ports at the same time the device just disconnects itself. As for the charging port that just doesn't charge your laptop at all. You plug in your USB charger into the end of the device and your laptop beeps and comes up with the charging symbol, but it doesn't actually charge it - the laptop stays on the exact same charge and never increases. Once again if you plug in even one USB device in whilst you have your USB-C charging cable simultaneously it disconnects itself again. I have tried two of these now and unfortunately they simply are not fit for purpose.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2015 2:17 PM GMT

Bali Nutra Coconut Syrup 300 g
Bali Nutra Coconut Syrup 300 g
Offered by Bali Nutra Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy, tasty syrup. Great in black coffee!, 18 Sept. 2015
This is a fantastic product. I usually have it in my coffee in the morning as a healthier alternative to sugar, and it gives my coffee a lovely creamy sweetness, which is especially pleasant in black coffee. I also use it on porridge and it is absolutely delicious, and my girlfriend has her's with yoghurt every morning so I'm going to assume she is a fan as well. The product came very nicely packaged in a really bizarre custom made bubble "jacket" of sorts. It was such an amusing bit of packaging we decided to paint it and turn it into a little toy monster for my little nephew, and he loves it. Strange, I know, but this product seems to have given on a whole range of levels.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fast Rubik's Cube, 10 Sept. 2015
Really can't complain about this item at all. It's essentially a Rubik's cube, but it's one that is clearly designed for speed use. It is buttery smooth to use and never locks up, and it comes beautifully packaged in a sturdy box. The colours are vibrant, and it looks cooler than normal Rubik's cubes since it has no black borders around the colours. It makes it easier on the eye when you use it quickly, and with no squeaking of stuttering whatsoever it is a pleasure to use. Other reviewers have also stated this, and I completely agree, it would make a great stocking filler for those who enjoy this sort of thing, since the attractive packaging makes it seem like a particularly premium example of this kind of item.

Inateck 12-Inch New MacBook Sleeve Case Cover Bag for Apple Macbook 12" with Retina Display, Grey
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for multiple items, 10 Sept. 2015
I really love this case. It looks classy but not flashy, and has enough support and cushioning to protect my devices without adding too much bulk. The inside is soft and delicate so as to not scratch the expensive devices within, and it comes with enough pockets to store almost everything you would need to take with your laptop out and about. I chose this particular case because it had a slot for both my MacBook and my iPad at the same time, and I am pleased to say that they both fit in like a charm. They are neither too tight nor too loose; the devices are perfectly easy to slide in and out without the worry of them accidentally slipping out, and they both fit in together at the same time too, which is just what I wanted. My iPad even fits in with the Apple Smart Cover attached, and still fits perfectly. The case also has two smaller pockets on the back which are big enough to keep your smartphone in as well as adapters, external hard drives, or power supplies. An smaller additional case also comes supplied which is also big enough to store more accessories should you need it, and it all comes packaged in an easy to open zip lock bag upon delivery. All in all I couldn't be happier, and I highly recommend this case to others.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot charge and use USB at the same time, 10 Sept. 2015
First of all, Amazon seem to have lumped a whole group of items by the same manufacturer into a single category for reviews, so you might see reviews for items that aren't actually for the item you are viewing. Just to clarify, this review is for the adapter with two USB 3 ports as well as the USB-C charging port.

I naively thought (or at least hoped) this would work as well as the Apple equivalent, and that I could plug in my USB-C charging cable as well as utilise the USB ports at the same time on my new MacBook, but alas this seems to be asking too much. The USB ports work perfectly well by themselves, at a perfectly good USB 3.0 speed as well, so no complaints there. However, if you try to plug the USB-C charger into the device at the same time then the device simply disconnects from the computer. It seems you can either use the USB ports OR the charging port, but not both at the same time. Since the whole point of this device is to allow you to do both of these things at the same time I would say this is a pretty pointless item to purchase. If you need just the USB ports then there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well, and if you need to charge at the same time with your new MacBook then it seems you will have to shell out for the extortionately priced official Apple one instead.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10