Profile for Joseph Costello > Reviews

Joseph Costello

Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Studio Monitor Professional Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for money headphones on the market, 27 Mar. 2014
Let me just begin by saying these headphones are incredible for the price. When compared to headphones among the same price range these blow them all out of the water. When it comes to headphones one thing is more crucial than anything else and that is audio quality, and it appears audio-technica have concentrated their efforts mainly on that aspect.

Pro's:

Audio quality on these headphones is immense for the price, the highs are crisp and clear, the bass has lots of depth and isn't too overpowering and the mid's are perfect for any genre of music or any type of listening for that matter. You are going to hear lots of new added detail in songs that you never heard before with these. A lot of reviews I read before purchasing these headphones myself, stated that the bass wasn't as great as going for a pair of beats etc. I can confirm however that the bass on these is absolutely perfect. They have great depth and have no distortion what so ever which the beats are frequently renowned for.

They feel sturdy and durable and the ear cups and head band are extremely comfortable to wear. I have been wearing mine over 8 hours per day and I don't even feel as if I am wearing them they are that comfortable.

They isolate noise very well, even when the volume is cranked up I can confirm that there is no sound leak and background noise is kept to a minimum at all times.

They handle all types of listening very well. They make great headphones for gaming, watching film and of course their soul purpose, music. I have listened to a variety of different genres with them; rock, EDM, classical, country, jazz, blues and they fared brilliantly with them all. In my personal opinion however, to me, they really shine when listening to EDM of any kind. It's as though I am rediscovering all my favorite house, trance and dubstep tracks with all the new detail I am hearing which I was missing out on before.

Cons:

The big one here is build quality. For the price tag the build quality isn't as good as going for a pair of beats for example. They feel very durable and solid but the plastic feels a little bit cheap and they can make some ghastly creaking noises when you swivel the cups and especially when you fold them up to put them in the bag which comes with them. I think this was their business plan however, they have focused on audio quality and by doing so sacrificed on the build quality. I would personally recommend keeping these phones strictly in your study/studio/bedroom. These are not on the go headphones even though it seems some development has gone into making them look like they could be with the folding cups etc.

The response probably isn't flat enough for professional music producers. If you are an amateur music producer or you are just getting into producing they are brilliant and you can't go wrong. But if you really want to critically monitor the sound these are not the best on the market and in my opinion are more tailored towards commercial headphone users. They make music sound amazing but I think that is exactly what they are for, to give an enjoyable listening experience not an audiophile analytic experience.

The cables which come with these can only be used with these headphones and you can't use a different brand of cable if you damage the ones which come with it. So look after them!

Overall these are the best price to performance headphones on the market in my opinion. If you have the money go ahead and buy some pricier ones, but there comes a point of diminishing return in terms of bang for your buck. You would be a fool to go for a different brand of headphone in the same price bracket as these. You simply aren't going to get the same audio quality which these deliver.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 4:42 AM BST