Profile for D. J. Wilson > Reviews

Content by D. J. Wilson

D. J. Wilson "david2587" (UK)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy and added bonus, 25 Aug. 2006
I am very happy with my iPod Radio I bought to go with my Nano. I have had great quality radio and like the fact it has a built in remote. One added bonus I have found which didn't seem to be mentioned on the reviews I read is the fact that as this connects through the long data port on you iPod you can plug in the original earphones into the earphone socket and use two headphones at the same time. As I was considering buying a seperate earphone splitter to be able to listen to music with friends etc this is a fantastic bonus.

The Times Su Doku
The Times Su Doku
by Wayne Gould

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative Addictive Puzzler, 30 Mar. 2005
This review is from: The Times Su Doku (Paperback)
I first found Su Doku while browsing through the Times one day and thought that it looked a bit different from the usual crosswords and chess puzzles that I am not really interested in. Simply put, you must place the digits 1 through 9 into a 9 by 9 grid that is split into 9 3 by 3 boxes. However, each digit must only appear once in every column, row and seperate box and you are only given a handful to start with. Using logic you must deduce where each digit goes.
This book starts with a short introduction by the author about the rules of su doku and a couple of simple methods however his main advice is to develop your own techniques to solve the harder Su Dokus.
To begin with there are 4 'Easy' grids to lead you gently into the puzzle before 26 'Mild' where you start using more complicated techniques. 45 'Difficult' follow which are personally my favourites as they are tricky enough to keep your brain on its toes but are not taxing enough to mean you are stumped. Finally there is 25 'Fiendish' grids which are exactly that, fiendish. All are solvable using the numbers provided it just isn't that obvious how! I am really pleased to solve a 'Fiendish' and have maybe done about 10 so far. This is such a broad spectrum of difficulty that however long you have you can choose a puzzle to suit you. Finally an answer section is provided as a quick means of checking the whole grid without going over each row, column and box to check for repeated numbers.
Personally I do my grids by copying them out onto paper as the beauty of Su Doku is you can come back to a puzzle and start as if you have never seen it before because you don't remember the positions of the 81 digits so grids can be done again and again. I must recommend pencil especially for the harder ones and I have found myself many a time rubbing out a whole grid realising I have two 5's in a box.
Overall I have found Su Doku to be very stress relieving and quite a lot of fun. A great way to wind down at a night and a puzzle you can do anywhere.

Music from the O.C. - Mix 2
Music from the O.C. - Mix 2
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Chilling Out CD!, 20 Jan. 2005
This is a brilliant album! After listening to The OC Mix 1 I thought the music could get no better, yet this is as good as, if not better than the first mix. Firstly, it is longer with 16 tracks compared to the paltry 12 on the first cd.
Personally I have found the tracks have got a lot more emotional depth now although the two cds complement each other perfectly (the third mix is also great but unfortunately only playable around christmas!).
A few of my personal highlights include 'Something Pretty' by Patrick Park which has poignant lyrics and brilliant vocals, 'Maybe I'm Amazed' by Jem which always reminds me of the series wedding, and finally 'Little House of Savages' by The Walkmen which has to be my stand out track of the cd. It is loud yet curiously relaxing, especially for all the stresses that the TV characters and normal late-teens experience!
All in All a brilliant CD with tracks to suit everyone

From Here To Infinity
From Here To Infinity
by Ian Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Introduction to Modern Mathematics, 10 May 2004
This review is from: From Here To Infinity (Paperback)
A Brilliant introduction to everything that is modern about mathematics and includes all the latest developments including proofs of the famous Fermat's Last Theorem and the Four-Colour problem. Readers familiar with Ian Stewart will be unsurprised to find his clear, concise and humourous approach to Maths and his great enthusiasm for the subject is portrayed through this book. A great read and brilliant for those who want a readable, accurate yet not too technical account of the latest developmnents in Mathematics.

O
O

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing, 10 May 2004
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
A brilliant album from an up and coming star. I first bought this from a recommendation from a relative and on first playing it I thought it was ok but nothing special. However, this CD really does mature with time, and I soon realised the beauty, depth and perfection of these songs. The fact Damien Rice composed, recorded and played on all these tracks before being signed up simply adds to the quality and it is a perfect CD to chill-out to, work to or just have on in the background. I must admit that I thought that it was a bit skimpy to only have the 10 songs on the album, however they neglect to mention there are another 2 bonus hidden tracks on the end of Eskimo, which makes it just perfect!

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as Always, 11 Feb. 2004
The pretence when buying any Zelda game is to get a lengthy, involved and thoroughly enjoyable game that is challenging yet not overly difficult, and Oracle of Seasons does nothin to dissappoint.
With the help of the aged Maku Tree you control Link throughout Horon and also the Subrosia lava world to help rescue the Oracle of Seasons. A variety of weapons and objects are available for use including the rod of seasons allowing you to change the season throughout the game helping solve puzzles and helping you further your adventure. The graphics and sound are as usual if not better than past Zeldas, and the link up idea with Oracle of Ages is genius, and even if you do not have a link cable or two GBC or GBAs then you can receive a secret to use in the alternative game. Overall a brilliant game!