Profile for M. A. Dunnington > Reviews

Content by M. A. Dunnington

M. A. Dunnington (Stourbridge, West Midlands United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Unnatural Causes (Audiogo)
Unnatural Causes (Audiogo)
by P. D. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure nostalgia, 25 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 6 Cd set was first published by the BBC on cassette some years ago so it so good to have a more quality sound version. Read expertly by Michael Jayston this is a 1967 novel from P D James - for me this is superb - the era certainly comes alive both by expert description and the quality of reading from Mr. Jayston. Running over 7 hours this is great for car journeys or as a nightly serial in the comfort of your own home. It's summer release is timely as the story takes us on Adam Daigliesh's holiday in Suffolk - interrupted by a crime writers death - a really good thriller - highly recommended.

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: The Complete Series 1
John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme: The Complete Series 1
by John Finnemore

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I so like "Cabin Pressure" and think that it is certainly John Finnemore's best. I missed this show when it was broadcast in 2011 - but I didn't miss much. The BBC did record a second series broadcast in 2012 - hopefully soon on Cd - and they recently finished recording a third series. Although the press reviews have been favourable I found the humour mostly off target. There were certainly some joyous moments but on the whole it was either unfunny, mildly funny or elitist funny......disappointing all round.

What Now My Love
What Now My Love

5.0 out of 5 stars At last some of his English recordings, 22 July 2013
This review is from: What Now My Love (MP3 Download)
At long last some of Gilbert Becaud's English language recordings. Some time ago the 1975 album plus late 70's singles was released on the Decca label but pressed only to order and therefore not really commercially available. This download has some of the long, long lost 60's recordings - plus 4 from 1975 and the 1999 superb "When We Dance" .... officially Gilbert's last English (with a bit of French) recording. The sound quality is superb.....also just under 90 minutes so great value....thank you who ever you are for putting these tracks out.....these are superb recordings from a French master....thank you.

Together Again for the First Time
Together Again for the First Time

3.0 out of 5 stars An old LP not clean up, 2 July 2013
When I bought this I thought "terrific a long lost 1968 LP at last on digital". sorry to report that this is just an old LP transferred without any improvement - the surface noise from the LP is present throughout. I put it through my clean-up software to improve it - now why didn't the company who gave it to amazon do that - because like the Hallmark label they simply want to cheat the public.
The album is superb - two great artists at their best - but why oh why can't the companies do justice to the artist - if the cost was half the price it would be worth your money!!! But be aware you will have to clean it up if you want to hear it as it should be.

Carol Burnett Featuring If I Could Write a Song
Carol Burnett Featuring If I Could Write a Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 2 July 2013
What have I have been missing these 40 years?.......a truly superb album. Her voice is a real treat and such a pity that she recorded so little. As other reviewers say this is from 1971/2 and features some of the best songs of the late 60's and early 70's. Beautifully sung and terrific arrangements......thank you Amazon for stocking this....released in the USA in 2002 so a rare find indeed!!!!

I Put The Bomp - Great R'n'R Answer Discs
I Put The Bomp - Great R'n'R Answer Discs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 12 Jun. 2013
This is a really great collection. Titles that have been missing for collectors for many, many years. The sound reproduction is excellent and even stereo copies where available. Praise to the compiler, too many collections are compiled by those ignorant of the material. Not here, a really superb effort and many thanks from collectors everywhere.

Feeling Good: The Nina Simone Story
Feeling Good: The Nina Simone Story
by Sue Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars A complex human being, 28 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a two part BBC radio documentary broadcast a couple of years ago. It does not seek to analyze the performer it concentrates on the complex human being that was the performer. Her musical contributions are sparse in this recording - most likely due to copyright problems - but also because this is her daughter's view of her mother. Lots of other contributions from friends and acquaintances are also included.Nina Simone's recording legacy will last forever - she made significant achievements in her recording career. It is sad that not too many of her live shows exist - she was a legend - now that word is used far too freely nowadays but with Dr Simone it is a word that definitely fits. I enjoyed this 75 minute CD and feel I now know a lot more about this complex woman who was a musical genius - if not a human being with many failings. She made her own the Anthony Newley / Leslie Bricusse song "Feeling Good" and it is appropriate that the radio show used this title.

Perlasca: The Courage Of A Just Man:English Sub-titled [DVD]
Perlasca: The Courage Of A Just Man:English Sub-titled [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luca Zingaretti

5.0 out of 5 stars True courage, 28 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this DVD without really understanding what it was about. Yes the blurb tells you it is the Italian "Schindler's List" but there is much more to this film. It was made in 2002 for Italian TV - a two part mini-series lasting over three hours. The star of the film is now famous for the BBC purchased series "Montalbono" - the sub-titling is good but very fast so you have to keep your eyes on the screen. The whole cast are superb and the atmosphere is electric throughout. This is much more than "Schindler" - the Italians tell it like it was - cruel at times, and quite graphic. I started to watch thinking I will not view the DVD in one sitting - three hours later I had completed the programme. Apparently Perlasca was not known for his courage until 1990 and he died in 1992. A truly inspiring film and I am so pleased I "experimented" - I have recommended this to everyone I have spoken to since seeing this DVD - a real treasure.

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue: Volume 15
I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue: Volume 15
by BBC

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better with "old age", 22 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't believe that I have been listening to this series since 1972!!! As many have said before the death of Humphrey Lyttelton nearly brought the show to an end - and for a while the show dipped dreadfully - and then along came Jack Dee. What a tremendous find - we all knew he was a good comedian but as host of this show he really excels. This set is a compilation of shows recorded in 2011 and 2012 - they are extended to make each CD 72 minutes. The same old games are there but be careful they are moments when I laughed so loud in the car other drivers were looking at me!!! Rob Brydon had me in stitches too many times - and another special guest is Victoria Wood (oh how she is missed on TV). I think this show is a little like marmite - and this listener is definitely a fan - if you're feeling depressed then put this on and I assure you it is better than any doctor prescription!!!!

Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 4
Cabin Pressure: The Complete Series 4
by John Finnemore

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer joy, 22 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When they say that "they don't write radio comedies like they used to" - then please listen to this series. Very few shows let you laugh every minute, but this one does. The casting is superb and the writing by John Finnamore is just sheer brilliance. Benedict Cumberbatch shows yet another side of his incredible talent - but by no means is he the star of the show - each of the four characters are equal in their brilliance. This set is the six shows broadcast earlier this year and form the "last" series. Each episode has a destination in alphabetical order - and the last show is Yverdon - please BBC persuaded the writer and cast to continue - a really great show that thank goodness has a very loyal listening audience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20