Profile for H. M. Barton > Reviews

Content by H. M. Barton

H. M. Barton "hels_cambridge" (UK)

No Sound Without Silence
No Sound Without Silence
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect album from an outstanding band, 23 Sept. 2014
The Script have really done themselves proud with this album and it's the closest they've come to their epic 'Science and Faith'. What is special about this one is that it's obvious how much thought has gone into each song - every lyric, every melody, every part of the musical structure has been carefully crafted into a work of art. Many of the songs deal with quite powerful themes - 'The Energy Never Dies' deals with the death of a loved one and the hope that we'll go on and meet again; 'Man on a wire' carries a clever analogy about vulnerability and the fear of someone seeing you fall; 'Flares' - inspired by someone pulling through a serious illness - is about finding hope in the most desperate of times. The more lighthearted songs on the album (e.g. 'Superheroes', 'Paint the Town Green' and 'Hail Rain or Sunshine') are ridiculously uplifting, feel-good songs, and even they have a deeper underlying meaning, paying homage the band's Irish roots and to the idea of overcoming adversity and being true to yourself. I was lucky enough to see The Script performing at three of their album launch gigs this past fortnight, and not only do these new songs stand out when played live, they also fit in perfectly with the band's earlier music. Ignore what the critics have said about this album, as it's a work of genius and the music journalists have totally missed the point.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2014 10:30 AM BST

#3
#3
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Diverts from their previous albums but still very good, 23 July 2013
This review is from: #3 (Audio CD)
I agree with all those who have said they don't like it as much as their first two albums. For me there are four standout songs on here - 'Good Ol' Days', 'Six Degrees of Separation', 'Hall of Fame' and 'Millionaires', which I have fallen in love with instantly. I also quite like 'Glowing', 'If you could see me now' and 'Give the love around'. Other than that I think there's too much rap on the album which isn't to my taste (even though the lyrics are very thoughtful/clever) - and I preferred the previous two albums which was more pop/rock music and that's the style I'd have preferred them to stick to (as they have done with 'Six Degrees..' and 'Millionaires' on this new cd).
That said, with The Script it's in their live concerts where the music really comes alive. I've been to see them twice and am going again soon. They are one of the best live bands I've ever seen, and the tunes from #3 that they're playing on their current tour all sound amazing live, and fit really well with the songs from their previous two albums in the set list. So I would say go and see them live and then you'll appreciate #3 a whole lot more :)

CushCase Corduroy Sleeve / Case for Apple MacBook Air 11 inch (Colour: Purple)
CushCase Corduroy Sleeve / Case for Apple MacBook Air 11 inch (Colour: Purple)

5.0 out of 5 stars great product!, 27 April 2011
i'm really pleased with this product. It's light, compact, perfect for carrying my macbook around in and protecting it, and great value for money. highly recommended.

Bare Bones [Digipak]
Bare Bones [Digipak]

5.0 out of 5 stars Acoustic fun, 6 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Bare Bones [Digipak] (Audio CD)
I've been going to Bryan Adams' acoustic gigs (now known as 'bare bones') since he first started doing them in early 2008 as part of a promotion for his previous album ('11'), and this album depicts how the show has developed from a 45-minute set to a full-length two-hour show with stripped down versions of his most well-known music, and new and rare songs. The live recordings with the audience reactions show how much fun the acoustic shows are :-) Some fans prefer the full band shows, but the acoustic gigs rock in a different way....so if you're a fan, go and see the show, and go and buy this CD. My only criticism is that some of my favourite songs which feature in the show, don't appear on this album...but overall it's a balanced choice of music representing the whole span of his career from the early days through to his newest songs.

Things I Wish I'd Known: The #1 Bestselling Author
Things I Wish I'd Known: The #1 Bestselling Author
by Linda Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Things I wish I'd known, 28 July 2010
I really enjoyed this book. I was born in the late 70s, and grew up in the 80s, and now being in my 30s, I could really relate to it. I think many of us have got something in our past that we need to come to terms with and achieve closure on, before we can move on in our present lives, and she describes that situation and the feelings associated with it, perfectly. The only part of the book that I couldn't get my head around, was the relationship she had with Andy in her teens - it seemed really outlandish and unrealistic compared to the rest of the story, which seemed very real. But I guess that is artistic license, and what makes a story interesting, and still taps into our tendency to look back on past loves and 'what ifs', even if for most of us, the person involved wasn't someone famous! I was hooked, especially towards the end, and read the second half of the book in one evening. I would definitely buy this author's other books now, having read this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best!, 15 Mar. 2008
This review is from: 11 (Audio CD)
This in my opinion is one of the best albums Bryan Adams has ever made. As a life-long fan my opinion may be biased, but every song on this album is catchy and instantly memorable, and I think his voice gets better and better with the years.
Overall it has a rockier feel than his previous two albums ('Spirit' and 'Room Service'), with uptempo tracks such as 'Oxygen', 'Flower grown wild' and 'Way of the world'. He also still proves that he's the king of sing-a-long stadium ballads with 'Something to believe in' and 'We found what we were looking for'. I'm looking forward to getting out my cigarette lighter and swaying to those this summer.
Any Bryan Adams fan will adore this album, and maybe this is the one that will also convert the sceptics...let's hope so as Bryan is a true legend!! :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2008 12:32 AM GMT

Bryan Adams: Live In Lisbon [DVD]
Bryan Adams: Live In Lisbon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dick Carruthers

4.0 out of 5 stars Grainy pic is for artistic effect, 16 Mar. 2006
I've just been reading some of the other reviews on here, particularly the complaints about the picture quality. The 'grainy' picture was in fact Bryan's idea and he worked closely on this with the director, as he wanted to create an artistic effect, and some of the footage he took himself while using a camera on stage. It isn't to everybody's taste but I think it makes it a bit different and to be fair, Bryan is a very creative person so I'm not at all surprised that he tried something a bit different, something that breaks away from the format of all the standard concert videos that are out there.
The grainy picture in my opinion does not take away the fact that this DVD is awesome. It fully captures the excitement, pace and energy of a BA concert (I was lucky enough to go to 6 gigs on this particular tour although sadly not the one at which this DVD was filmed) and this amazing atmosphere is fully reflected on the DVD. The sound is great too I think...it's been mixed perfectly and shows just how strong and powerful his voice is.
No complaints from me!

Reckless
Reckless
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of all time, 16 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Reckless (Audio CD)
This is an all time classic and a CD that everyone should have in their collection. If all artists have one 'seminal' work, this is Bryan's. It has 10 tracks, 8 of which still feature regularly in his live set lists, and these include the Bryan Adams songs that everybody knows and loves - like 'Run to You', 'Heaven', 'Summer of 69' and 'Kids Wanna Rock'.
Despite being released in 1984 I think it is timeless and doesn't sound that dated even today, unlike some of his later stuff like Waking up the Neighbours (still a good CD but not a classic like Reckless).
For me the highlights of this album are the first two tracks, 'One night love affair' and 'She's only happy when she's dancing'. These are lesser-known to non-Bryan Adams fans but to me they are the two of the most catchy, unforgettable and brilliantly-written songs not only on this album but of his whole 25-year career.
There's nothing 'clever' about this album - it is just ten very simple, very melodic, feel-good pop/rock songs which I've never tired of listening to over the years.

Waking Up The Neighbours
Waking Up The Neighbours
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Waking up the neighbours, 14 Mar. 2006
This was the first Bryan Adams album I ever bought. It was released around the same time as the single Everything I Do, which smashed all the record books in the UK, so there was a lot of interest in him at the time. I was about 13 and had never heard of him before but when I first saw him performing on TV I thought he had something very very special - this thought was to stick with me for the rest of my life!
I bought his second single from the album, 'Can't stop this thing we started', thought hey, forget the boybands, I've discovered rock! (as I said, I was only 13!), and then the whole album soon followed. Within a few weeks I was absolutely hooked, and played it over and over until the tape snapped.
That was a 13 year old's perspective, and now, approaching 30 and taking a more mature view, it still remains one of my favourite CDs of all time. Having bought Bryan's entire collection since then, I can see that it isn't a classic like Reckless, that it's massively 'over produced' and Def-Leppard-like in places, and that it sounds very dated compared to his contemporary work like 'On a day like today' and 'Room Service', but despite all this, you just can't argue that Waking up the Neighbours is full of absolutely great songs!
Some people criticise Bryan for being cliched, for "using a rhyming dictionary" bla bla bla so if this isn't your cuppa, fair enough, and I consider myself one of the biggest Bryan Adams fans of all time so maybe I'm biased. I think it's actually the simplicity of the songs that makes them so good - for example 'Depend on me' and 'Do I have to say the words' are simple, heartfelt, instantly memorable love songs. That's what Bryan's critics hate about his songs, but that's what his fans love about them.
The rockers on this album are so catchy that even the most adamant 'anti-bryan' would find themselves singing along. 'Can't stop this thing we started', 'There will never be another tonight', 'Hey honey I'm packin you in', 'Touch the hand' and 'House arrest' in particular are like this. In my opinion they are great for any occasion: parties, driving, just sitting listening at home, even doing the housework to....but whatever the context they always need to be played LOUD!
I think to appreciate this album even more, you should go and hear the songs live. 'Can't stop..', 'House Arrest', 'There will never be another tonight' and of course the legendary 'Everything I do' are still regulars on Bryan's live set list and he gives the songs a more contemporary feel while still retaining that driving, powerchord rock that he does best.