Profile for Westcountry reviews by > Reviews

Content by Westcountry re...

Westcountry reviews by "The Ruraliser" (Devon (aka Heaven))

Samsung YP-U1Q 2GB MP3 Player - Black
Samsung YP-U1Q 2GB MP3 Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit, 24 July 2006
Nothing new to add really, all the pros and cons have been taken care of below but I will say that on Samsung's web page this MP3 player is only supposed to be compatible with Pc but I've used it on several Macs. The fact the thing is in essence a versatile USB pen with the ability to store most files makes it stand out for me.

Joie de Vivre - Works for Trumpet and Piano
Joie de Vivre - Works for Trumpet and Piano

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance of unfamiliar works, 17 May 2006
As a trumpet player I have been waiting for a CD like this. It's great to hear music that I am not familiar with as I have heard such works as the Hummel & Haydn concertos a million times.

The repertoire is in places difficult and the Salterelle by Tomasi is particularly tricky, but the performance remains consistently musical throughout. The music is conveyed in a vibrant and expressive way and Paul creates a huge range of colour and dynamics through his playing. Both players effectively change between musical styles where necessary and that reflects for me what performing is all about. Technique is nothing without musical sensitivity, I'm sure a few names spring to mind!

This is a very enjoyable CD and the repertoire is more engaging than the usual trumpet standards and Baroque classics. Highlights for me are the Honegger Intrada and Hubeau Sonate and for any trumpeters, most of the music is easy to get hold of.

Offered by Music-Finder

4.0 out of 5 stars The 50/50 job, 17 May 2006
This review is from: Mess (Audio CD)
This album is certainly a mixed bag. There r classic down tempo Fila tracks here that will slide nicely into the background and the idea of starting with a drum and bass track and ending with the same track in downtempo mode is nice.

If u listen carefully u will probably skip a few & like someone said about a good album waiting to get out, maybe some of the weaker tracks could have been axed.

However, brace yourself for Howard Dan Ryan. This is a great track and I can't think of any other track by another artist that really sounds like it, tis brilliant. In fact it is now one of my favourite tracks, I love the driving beat and sounds that somehow fit together even tho they shouldn't. It'll make you want to jump around and do weird head movements to the beat.

Chosen Lords
Chosen Lords

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy collection, 17 May 2006
This review is from: Chosen Lords (Audio CD)
I don't own any of the Analord series so this seems a worthy buy to me. Although it is I suppose a compilation I think other electronic musicians take note. I've been waiting for ages to own a CD that truly contains a certain sound throughout. There's too many albums that are put together from seemingly unrelated tracks, which isn't always what you want especially when in a certain mood.

There's some good work on this as well and represents some of the best of the familiar RDJ sound. He has a knack of maintaining a certain energy and musicality in the tracks that you can appreciate while dancing away. Its not another case of careful programming that at the end of the day says nothing to the listener other than that the artist has a lot of technical prowess.

I would say tho I only fully appreciated this album when listening on my hi-fi. A half decent bit of kit makes the most of the efforts put into producing this album & ze bass innit!

Offered by Manchester Stock Xchange

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comic style action, 13 May 2006
This review is from: XIII (PC) (Video Game)
Bit late in the day but I just got this cheap recently.

This game is fantastic and for me very original. Some FPS games can be lonely experiences, it's just kill, kill, kill, why am I doing this again? In XIII you receive regular contact from your comrades and when you are given an objective it feels like more than just a means of completing a level. I felt completely immersed in the story like I was playing out my own little movie.

Not much else to add to what has been written already apart from to say that first, the weapons can be annoying but once you get back your steady aim skill it makes sense and yes it is strange that the 9mm is so weak but fire quickly twice at the head and they'll go down.

Also for everyone who commented negatively on graphics and the story have you forgotten it's meant to be like a comic book?! Speech bubbles, little clips of long range kills etc. That's why you get the video sequences with the blurry tint, it's artistic, this isn't a standard FPS, I loved that it had it's own sense of style.

Minor quibbles are that I found some really simple and to be honest silly ways of defeating the bosses which meant i completed the game rather quickly. Will defeat them properly sometime. Also, need more space for level saves.

I was so gripped by this game that I don't want to play another for a while. I tried starting Chrome after I'd finished XIII but I gave up after 5 minutes because just as I said to start, it made me feel completely uninvolved, its gotta grab you from the start.

Saw 2 [DVD]
Saw 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Donnie Wahlberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the ratings down, 8 May 2006
This review is from: Saw 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I only write reviews when I feel strongly about something & simply if you've seen Saw u don't need to see this.

The 2 stars are for the thought given to new traps & casting Donnie Wahlberg (legend for Band of brothers) who tries his best to make something of a sparse, unimaginative script & a stereotypical moody cop character.

I've only seen this film once but it was enough to notice it has no depth & little thought put into the characters and script. Like other reviewers have said it was difficult to relate to the characters, I can barely remember any names and there were about 10 main characters!

It all feels rushed, there was no scene where the characters wake up in the house to draw the audience into their emotional state & fear. Instead they all annoyed the hell out of me, I didn't really care if they survived.

A final note is the whole reasoning behind the thing gets very confused as well. Sorry to ruin the end, but Johnboy Jigsaw's little follower is supposed to be carrying on his work, yet her first trap is motivated by revenge, I thought the point was to make people appreciate life and encourage them to survive? Also, at one point Jiggy says he never killed anybody and u think here we go he's gonna give some explanation that's gona mess with my head and make me think. He doesn't. Basically he does kill people. The film makers could have really done something with that bit, done a psychology number. Nevermind.

The One [DVD] [2002]
The One [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Jet Li

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre martial arts, 17 Sept. 2003
This review is from: The One [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
While I accept this film is more Hollywood fodder than movie masterpiece and Jet Li is great at what he does best, i can't help but feel disappointed and frustrated. This film could be so much better, it doesn't need to be another no-brainer action film. It's too short for a start and the storyline is bland. Apart from Li who does a reasonable job the casting isn't great, with a lot of cheesy actors. Jason Statham should leave roles as Americans well alone as well, his accent had me cringing constantly and you got the feeling that was the only type of American accent he could get close to.
The whole thing feels like one big rush to the end for the expected martial arts conclusion. There are some points in the story where you think it might finally draw u in and involve the viewer on a higher mental and emotional level, but it never goes deep enough to do this. I couldn't believe I felt nothing when Carla Gugino dies.
People liken this film to the Matrix and Highlander, but it doesn't even come close to either. The One could certainly learn from both. I hope someone remakes this film realising that it needs to be darker and more evil like Highlander with much more complexity and development like The Matrix.
If you want to see another Jet Li film then this film is fine, but if like me you hate to see a film that doesn't reach it's full potential prepare to be let down and frustrated.