Profile for soprani > Reviews

soprani (United Kingdom)

Once Were Angels: The Tradition Of Boy Trebles
Once Were Angels: The Tradition Of Boy Trebles

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Voices Here On Earth, 5 Nov. 2004
I have loved the sound of a pure treble voice since I was myself a child and the soloist in my school choir (all girls in my case). There is a special quality to a boy soprano's voice that is only occasionaly evident in young girls voices. Here we have a wonderful selection of solo performances from some young male sopranos from my generation, recorded mainly in the 1970's and early 80's. En Prie're by Faure is beautifully sung by Peter Davey and my favourite track on this CD, closely followed by Paul Dutton's excellent rendition of an old classic 'I Will Give My Love An Apple'.
Once Were Angels is a worthy addition indeed to my growing boy sopranos record collection.
Anyone who like me who loves a soaring pure choirboy's effortless (seemingly) vocals, WILL be pleased they purchased this CD.

Declan Galbraith
Declan Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Imp, 1 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Declan Galbraith (Audio CD)
I'd never actually heard Declan Galbraith sing before I had purchased his CD. I took a chance on it as I liked and was familiar already with most of the tracks listed on it.
What a joy this young vocalist is to hear. You also know for sure that it is a boy singing, which is not always the case with a young male singer.
He's got an unusual slightly sharp and raspy even sounding voice which is very original, as is his interpretaions of some well known songs like Imagine and Angels.
I hope he will record another CD before the inevitable voice break and hopefully will go on to become an adult performer.
My personal favourites from Declan's album are Carrickfergus and Tell Me Why.
Defintely a CD worth buying for anyone who enjoys a natural boy's voice sung with sincerity.

Higher
Higher
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Serenity, 1 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Higher (Audio CD)
I thought a few years ago when I bought Aled's first album as an adult vocalist 'From The Heart', it would be great if he recorded some tracks with a boy's choir, and Lo and behold he must have heard me, as here we are an enjoyable peaceful reflective album with Aled and the wonderful Libera accompanying him on a few of Higher's melodies.
Unlike most of the reviewers of his adult albums I don't share the opinon that Aled as a mature vocalist possess the range he did as a treble. I personally find if he stays within his new range as he has done with the songs on this Higher album but doesn't so always through other meduims, he has got a gentle and still very melodic pleasant voice.
'Count Your Blessings' is always a favourite of mine and Aled has done a pleasing version of it on here and I also like 'You Raise Me Up', having first heard this lovely record recorded by Josh Groban.
Higher is an ideal album to listen to relaxing in a bubble bath or when I'm sitting at my PC typing some letters.
It would be welcome if Aled were to record an album with perhaps some female sopranos next time round. Charlotte Church maybe or the sweet pure voice of Hayley Westerna?

Bryn
Bryn
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The Welsh Hills Are Alive, 31 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Bryn (Audio CD)
Bryn Terfel, what a fantastic pair of lungs this grand Welshman has and I'm a relatively new fan, as I only discovered Bryn's booming timbre a couple of years ago. He sings with great passion, very "POWERFUL" delivery but also can be extremely gentle.
This is how a baritone should sound and I'm not all surpised to see Wales has again produced a singing son to be proud of.
I enjoyed all the tracks on this particular CD and feel Bryn Terfel is comfortable singing in many different meduims from Verdi to Show stoppers. A classic voice and a welcome addition to my collection of CD's.

From the Beginning
From the Beginning
Offered by usnap

4.0 out of 5 stars A young Tom Jones, 31 Oct. 2004
This review is from: From the Beginning (Audio CD)
I bought this second CD of Jamie Shaw on the strength of his first album as a child singer. A few tracks from the first record are also included here on the new album, 'When You Believe' which I really like and was puzzled to read that the single of this was apparently a flop.
'Shine On' is a catchy pop tune sung with Jamie's slightly more mature but no less pleasing vocals.
I'm surprised he hasn't gone on to produce another solo effort, and was less than impressed with the pop band he joined after making two good solo albums.
A wasted talent with potential for a recording career as an adult singer (but er no NOT in a boyband!).

The Best of Anthony Way
The Best of Anthony Way
Offered by thegreatergoods

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Choirboy of the 90's, 31 Oct. 2004
This review is from: The Best of Anthony Way (Audio CD)
What a wonderfully sweet and rather husky treble voice Anthony Way possessed, which he used to full advantage in all the excellent recordings he made. I have needless to say got all of his CD's including this great complilation, albeit one track is missing that I feel should be included here from his first solo CD The Choirboy called 'In Flanders'. It is a very poignant poem written by a homesick soldier during World War 1, and its omission from this CD rather a shame as some people will not have heard it. That aside I love all the songs on this Best of Anthony Way record and Suo Gan and Bailero also from the afore mentioned first solo CD ARE on this album, (two of my favourites).
What a beautiful musical journey for this young man to reflect on in years to come.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2012 8:47 AM BST