Profile for T. Braddick > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking

3.0 out of 5 stars The Pro's and Con's of Floyd Solo's, 9 Sept. 2009
The more I hear Floyd solo's, the more I feel Floyd were more than the sum of their parts. This album has an interesting concept and some good lyrics. Clapton's guitar work is to his usual standard. Some of the musical elements sound a bit like 'Wall' left overs and there is a certain familiarity to them. The big down side for me is a whole album of Water's singing and too much of it is in his 'anguished shriek' style (you'll know what I mean if you have 'The Wall') which works occasionally but I feel is over used on this set. Pity, because in his normal style and sharing singing with Gilmour, this may have been a better album.

Collins/Nicholson Waterways Guides (3) - Birmingham and the Heart of England
Collins/Nicholson Waterways Guides (3) - Birmingham and the Heart of England
by Jonathan Mosse
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 7 Sept. 2009
These guides have improved vastly from the Nicholson guides I originally bought in the late 70's/ early 80's. Colour OS maps help information to stand out clearly and the spiral binding means the pages you want stay open on the barge roof (wind permitting) when you are navigating (very helpful on junctions or other places where decisions are required - and not just how much ketchup you want on your bacon butty). There are a couple of things they could be more helpful on though. Firstly, pub/ restaurant/ shops are mentioned, but a note as to which bridge is most convenient or safest to moor would be good. Similarly, notes on general safe/ secure/ legal overnight moorings, particularly in built up areas would be useful.

Collins/Nicholson Waterways Guides (1) - Grand Union, Oxford and The South East
Collins/Nicholson Waterways Guides (1) - Grand Union, Oxford and The South East
by Jonathan Mosse
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 7 Sept. 2009
These guides have improved vastly from the Nicholson guides I originally bought in the late 70's/ early 80's. Colour OS maps help information to stand out clearly and the spiral binding means the pages you want stay open on the barge roof (wind permitting) when you are navigating (very helpfull on junctions or other places where decisions are required - and not just how much ketchup you want on your bacon butty). There are a couple of things they could be more helpful on though. Firstly, pub/ restaurant/ shops are mentioned, but a note as to which bridge is most convenient or safest to moor would be good. Similarly, notes on general safe/ secure/ legal overnight moorings, particularly in built up areas would be useful. Is all of Oxford safe or are there places to avoid ?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2012 11:45 AM GMT

La Vie Electronique 3
La Vie Electronique 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and good contents, 28 Aug. 2009
This review is from: La Vie Electronique 3 (Audio CD)
I gave a 5 star review to LVE 1 and my critique was questioned by another reviewer - yes, none of the contents were starkly new to anything we have available already, but it still added insight in to how KS made steps between albums and the music is good in it's own right.

I believe LVE 3 is worth 5 stars because, if you like KS around 1975, then his live work was usually interesting (based on a few fan tapes I've been fortunate to hear). So in this set we have three full discs of excellent sound quality live recordings, not every piece is a masterpiece, but there is sufficient creativity, sequencing and entertainment for me to feel 3.5 hours for under £12 is a bargain and worth 5 star appreciation. Some tracks still appear to be faded out (a big criticism of the live bonus tracks on the re-releases of the past few years) but this is the only negative I'd record in music terms. Disc 2 is particularly good and I can see that it will get listened to a lot.

The usual booklet prepared by kdm has a selection of period photos, some notes on the tracks where known and a dodgy/ cringe inducing article by an American EM fan (repeated in LVE4, which is annoying and a bit lazy IMO).

And finally, credit to Amazon, a good price and delivered in two days at the 'no cost' service level.

VFR Photo Scenery 2 : Version 2 (C Eng and Mid Wales) (PC CD)
VFR Photo Scenery 2 : Version 2 (C Eng and Mid Wales) (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement on standard scenery, 9 May 2009
Having got 'photo scenery for FS9, I was holding off buying scenery for FSX as I was never completely happy with the FS9 views. Having made the decision to go for it, I opted to add the greatest detail possible as this (and it's sister products) offers the choice of 2.4m detail or 1.2m detail. I've got a dual core processor and a reasonable graphics card, but certainly not latest gaming spec and I get a pretty good view from my Cessna and it's even tempted me to use a microlight to really enjoy the views over my house, my in-laws place and other places of particular interest or beauty.

VFR Photo Scenery 3 : Version 2 (N Eng and N Wales) (PC CD)
VFR Photo Scenery 3 : Version 2 (N Eng and N Wales) (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement on standard scenery, 9 May 2009

If you like to fly slowly at 2000 feet, then I recommend this addition as you do get a good view of what was down there at around the turn of the century - and perhaps that's one criticism as I know from new building around my area, this hasn't been updated for about 8 years. Also, there is a problem with tying in with the airfields as they suddenly seem to be on plateau's above the scenery and there is nothing that I can find to adjust this. This really only affects your final approach though, so disappointing but no great defect for 95% of your flight. Mountain areas are great and old industrial locations are interesting.

VFR Photo Scenery 1 : Version 2 (SE and S Wales) (PC CD)
VFR Photo Scenery 1 : Version 2 (SE and S Wales) (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement on default scenery, 9 May 2009

Smallcreeps Day
Smallcreeps Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, poor presentation, 6 May 2009
This review is from: Smallcreeps Day (Audio CD)
Spuddy Spud's review is pretty much spot on. If you like the quality of musicianship, clever lyrics, uplifting prog workouts (think Los Endos here) that early/ mid Genesis stood for, then there's much to enjoy here and this remains my favourite Genesis solo album so far (not heard all of Tony Banks' yet though, to be fair). But, for all the music quality, this is one of Charisma/ Virgin's budget range (see Brand X as well) and the CD insert is basic to say the least, no lyrics or even musicians listed.

Summary : very enjoyable music but Virgin owe it a decent quality remaster and re-release. But, a bargain at some of the prices on Amazon at May 2009.

La Vie Electronique I
La Vie Electronique I

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection for the money, 19 Mar. 2009
This review is from: La Vie Electronique I (Audio CD)
My concerns before buying this were : 1. If the music was good, why hadn't it been given a normal release in the 70's ? 2. If it was just KS working through ideas, would it be very cut back basic tracks ? 3. Would the sound quality be decent given the tapes were left in boxes for around 25 years before kdm even looked at them for their first boxed releases in the mid to late 90's ?

Answers are, if you like early Schulze then much of the music on these CD's compares favourably with his releases of the time. kdm reveals in his booklet notes just how prolific KS was - apparently recording reams of music as he developed his ideas. The first (newly released bonus) piece on disc 1 sounds like a Cyborg outtake and in my opinion it gets better from then on through the set. Instrumentation in most parts seems to have full depth, even guitar and vocal sounds in places - it isn't just KS messing about with an organ as I feared. Sound quality for the most part is astonishingly good given the age of the source tapes - you would have no idea that this is a collection of archive tapes (I use Marantz Gold CD and amp through MS-10 speakers - a bit old now but excellent quality - higher spec hardware may identify flaws I've missed). The booklet and historical photos supplied by kdm is up to the expected standard if you have any of the SPV re-releases from the past few years.

In all, for the price you can get these at through Amazon, this one certainly is a bargain and should delight fans of early Schulze music. Thanks must go to KS and kdm for making these recordings available to those who couldn't afford the original box sets when they were first released - I'm looking forward to listening to LVE2 and subsequent issues.

Live in Sydney: February 22nd 1982/Limited Edition
Live in Sydney: February 22nd 1982/Limited Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 1 Aug. 2008
The music performed here is generally very good, with Mojave Plan being one of my favourite live pieces, however, this release should have been so much better. If the company who copied it from the Tangerine Tree fan release had taken half an hour to edit out the tape cut at the beginning of disc 2, I'd have awarded it 4 stars, but the lazyness of their transfer without appearing to check the finished result properly is awful. If you have software like Adobe Audio, then you could possibly edit the break yourself and burn a replacement disc 2 for your own personal benefit - otherwise, you may find the cut very annoying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2009 10:31 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12