Profile for MKB > Reviews

Content by MKB

MKB "MKB" (London)

Connect Zone® PU Leather Flip Wallet Case Cover Pouch for Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) with Screen Protector, Polishing Cloth and Stylus - Purple + Mini Stylus
Offered by Connect Zone®

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 27 July 2016
This arrived quite quickly and I was very pleased. I chose purple. The leather was good quality; the phone fitted firmly and well. Something went wrong with the clear screen cover in one corner - it may have been my fault - but apart from that it was perfect.

War And Peace (Penguin Popular Classics)
War And Peace (Penguin Popular Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 25 Aug. 2015
I have been very happy to note that many of the reviews for War & Peace have been written by young people. At a time when it seems that children have sold their souls to computer games, I wonder whether the next generation will have the patience & concentration to read this long & wonderful book.
It is so engrossing that at times I felt that no other book was necessary, even that one's own life was hardly necessary. One is in the hands of a Master of characterisation, and with a man one can admire and love. I felt that he put himself into aspects of both Andrei & Pierre. How terrible that Andrei despised his wife! But what a true portrail! And I kept feeling that I know these people, such as Andrei's father.
Well, life moves on & I must make some apricot & honey ice cream.

The Seven Storey Mountain (SPCK Classics)
The Seven Storey Mountain (SPCK Classics)
by Thomas Merton

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever, 27 July 2011
I have to say that, at this stage of my life, aged 65, this is the best book I have ever read, in the sense that it is entertaining, literary, breathtakingly impressive. It is the story of a man's life from babyhood to early manhood; a man with a huge cultural background who turned, not without a fight, to God and settled with him finally as a Trappist Monk. J D Salinger meets Augustine of Hippo.

Before reading this book, I would have said 'Portrait of a Lady' was my favorite, as the characters stay with you forever. But now I am buying copies of 'Seven Storey Mountain' for anyone who will accept it. I also would like to recommend to anyone who cares about the effect of the Reformation in England, 'Characters of the Reformation' by Hilaire Belloc. It is a series of short chapters on some 27 major players at the time of the Reformation in England and Europe. (Doesn't sound very good - but he writes with a rousing voice, confident, cultured and Catholic!)

God bless you all!

Shadowplay: The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare
Shadowplay: The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare
by Clare Asquith

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so grateful for this book, 10 Oct. 2008
I am astonished that, having read and watched Shakespeare's plays most of my life (I am 62) and having attended Catholic schools, there has never before been a hint that his plays included a counter-reformation political sub-plot. Having read Clare Asquith's book I feel strongly that the teaching of Shakespeare will now need to include some understanding of his plea that members of the Catholic Church be allowed to practice their faith.

The Reformation was an extraordinary period of English history. I am immensely grateful to Clare Asquith for her fascinating book which adds a powerful dimension to my understanding of it. I have heard before of Shakespeare's lack of love for Ann Hathaway, the likelihood of his homosexuality, neither of which were convincing to me. And I have heard that his father was a catholic but that it seemed unlikely that he was.

I know that the job of an academic is to reappraise works of art and find new meanings within them. But I feel that Clare Asquith is not typical. Her inspection of Shakespeare is not flippant but rather it is passionate, deeply interesting and cannot be ignored.

Shakespeare is known and revered throughout the world. What a gift he has given to us today, now that Reformation history is being retold with honesty, that living within a police state he too played his part among the intellectuals of his time, in pleading for understanding from Elizabeth I and James I.