Profile for Ikemen > Reviews

Inside
Inside
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars stupid - lazy writing, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Inside (DVD)
Ridiculous - got a gun, think I'll bite her tongue off instead. Lights are out, let's fix the electrics instead of rescuing this woman. Woman with a gun in this tiny house - let's get some bandages and do some first aid, etc, etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 8:13 PM GMT

Shigurui: Death Frenzy Complete Series [DVD]
Shigurui: Death Frenzy Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hiroshi Hamasaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmorising, 1 July 2010
Shigurui might be a Marmite "love it or hate it" movie, but it would be a double tragedy for those who appreciate this type of production to miss out.

This anime reminds me of why I love film, and of why film is an art form. I feel like I'm watching an Akira Kurosawa movie but have to remind myself that this is a recent production (2007) and one of a quality so rare these days. You can forget Hollywood heroes and feel good underlining themes, and revel in a taste of real life at its most dramatic. It is all too often that a genuine production like this is belittled because it does not meet the preconceived views of some people. I could point out that this anime only touches on the cruel social norms reportedly suffered in this era according to historical texts, such as the historical novel this anime is ultimately based upon (Suruga Jo Gozen-Jiai).

I do NOT "enjoy meaningless violence and sex", but I must say that if people cannot see the meaning, and thereby appreciate a realistic immersion in the feudal culture of the characters with which we are expected to emphasise, then that is their mistake. I can tell you that I hate the Saw movies which my wife makes me watch and most other horrors with their gratuitous violence.

Samurai Champloo is great fun to watch but if you can appreciate something more involving, more mature, a lot more mature, then Shigurui may be for you.

P.S. I have spent a lot of time and money developing my audio system over the years, and this single soundtrack made the investment all worthwhile. Again, if you cannot appreciate the sounds of nature, and traditional music in simple small but high quality arrangements, then that is a matter of taste and not grounds for criticism.