Profile for Chris > Reviews

Content by Chris

Chris

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (PSP)
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (PSP)
Offered by BLUESHINE

4.0 out of 5 stars Easier than earlier titles but not sure about the overhead view, 18 Dec. 2009
So far I have found this to be a bit easier than earlier GTA games (specifically Vice City Stories, where I got frustrated at about %75 and never finished it). The graphics are very good, although the new overhead view takes some getting used to, and I don't think Stunt Jumps etc are quite as much fun as with the older 'over-the-shoulder' camera viewpoint. But still a great title for the PSP, and as with previous GTA games provides very good value for money due to all the different missions, side-stories, and adhoc exploring/destruction!

Yuraku Photo 1.5 inch Digital Photoframe Keyring
Yuraku Photo 1.5 inch Digital Photoframe Keyring

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 21 Oct. 2009
It doesn't have great resolution, but apart from that it worked fine, I was able to use their software to load and display my own photos. I would say this device is suitable for close-ups of people/pets but not for group shots, landscapes, etc as there is just not enough detail. But for less than £10 I don't think you can expect much more.

Panasonic KX-TG8422EB Colour DECT Twin Phone With Answer Machine - Black
Panasonic KX-TG8422EB Colour DECT Twin Phone With Answer Machine - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well although color screen is not the greatest, 9 Sept. 2009
No problems so far, answering machine functions correctly and handsets work well in both normal and hands-free modes. I get a bit of an echo when using the handset at the bottom of the garden (20+ meters, through 2 walls), but apart from that remote operation is very good.

The color screen is a bit of a gimmick really - very low resolution so doesn't look all that great (think 1990's mobile phone). Also as other reviewers have noted most of the ringtones are pretty horrific. At present both the base station and the handsets produce different rings for an incoming call, so it's quite a cacophony, but you certainly can't miss it! We need to read the manual more to see if this can be changed.

Apart from those minor issues all other functions are good. Using hands-free combined with mute button worked well for a large conference call taken at home - was able to make my lunch while listening to the blather!

Wilkinson Sword Medium Bypass      400235
Wilkinson Sword Medium Bypass 400235
Offered by Dealsdirect247

1.0 out of 5 stars Spring binds up, causing blades to stick closed, 24 May 2009
After only 15 minutes of use the blades started sticking closed - the spring was catching when compressed, meaning the handles would not automatically seperate after each cut. Liberal application of WD40 temporarily fixed the problem, but it soon re-occured.

It does cut well - but having to manually re-open the blades each time makes even small jobs time-consuming and annoying. Would not recommend this based on our experiences.

Fitness Mad Resistance Band Kit 3 Strengths of Band and handles (Red, Green, Blue)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sturdy enough, 24 May 2009
Not sturdy enough - may be OK for light rehabilitation/therapy exercises, but for a serious workout look at resistance tubes instead (e.g. Bodylastics)

Aone 10 Dual Layer Double Layer Silk Screen DVD+R DL 8.5GB 240 Mins Blanks in Cakebox

4.0 out of 5 stars Working OK so far, 25 Feb. 2009
I have only burnt a few of these so far (using a Dell Latitude D830), but they have all worked OK (no coasters). They are completely blank so I find it easy to get them mixed up with the single layer disks kicking around on my desk - but I guess that is so you can put your own images on them. DVD burning software correctly identifes them as dual-layer (8GB)

Thrustmaster T-Case Lite and Slim with Crystal case, Standee, Cloth and Hand Strap (PSP)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, and fits inside my travel case, 25 Feb. 2009
Works as advertised, protects the screen (the main priority for me), as well as the bulk of the shell. UMD disks can be changed without problem, and still has access to headphone/USB ports and wireless/power switches.

I haven't had to open the front panel yet as games display perfectly with it closed. The stand is not something I use, but does seem to support the unit OK (as long as you don't have headphones plugged into the bottom).

Best of all the case is form-fitting enough that I can still squeeze it into a RDS Industries PSP25 GameTraveller case (£10 at ASDA). This means I can get some extra protection when travelling without having to take it in/out of the crystal case each time.

I would recommend this case for anyone who wants some permanent extra protection with minimal hassle.

UPDATE 14/11/2009 - part of the tab on the top of UMD panel snapped off, meaning it doesn't latch closed very well now, and the back panel drops open when the case is flexed at all (which is quite often the way I play!). Possibly caused by me not lifting it up before opening the UMD, but it is quite annoying now. I am about to see if it can be fixed, or if the back panel can be removed entirely, otherwise I will need to purchase another case.

Lexmark X4580 Wireless WIFI All-In-One Printer
Lexmark X4580 Wireless WIFI All-In-One Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless functions poorly implemented, 29 Aug. 2008
We've been struggling to get this working over WiFi for 12 months now - it has problems maintaining a connection to the wireless network (even when positioned next to the access point!).

In addition the software is inconsistent and often poorly thought out:
- when scanning it checks your PC's installed software to determine which app to send the scanned image too, this takes 10-20 seconds - EVERY TIME YOU SCAN A DOCUMENT!!!
- remote printing works - but if your ink is low you'll still have to walk over to it to press buttons to clear the warnings.

Lexmark tech support is terrible, we have spent hours on the phone talking to unintelligble techs in an Indian support center, installing new printer firmware, PC drivers, reconfiguring wireless network, etc. They acknowledged it is not working properly, but will not give us a refund and instead sent us a replacement (bare-bones) unit. Just set this one up - and suprise, suprise this has all the same problems!

About the only thing I can say for it is if you do manage to get it on the network you can access the configuration through a web browser, and this is a lot more reliable than the software provided on the CD.

Both the original and replacement are going in a skip tomorrow ...