Profile for Scott Bolton > Reviews

Content by Scott Bolton

Scott Bolton (No longer in Hawick, Roxburghshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Brisbane to Cairns (Regional Maps)
Brisbane to Cairns (Regional Maps)
by Hema
Edition: Map

3.0 out of 5 stars A road map, but not for the road, 26 Mar. 2012
Got this map just a few days ago to plan an east coast road trip. It's only been opened a few times and already it's split at the creases; I can't see it surviving being opened in the confines of a car more than once. I'll probably scan it and print it out at A4.

Jericho - Season 1 [DVD]
Jericho - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Skeet Ulrich
Offered by claires_media_store

1.0 out of 5 stars I've another season to get through!, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Jericho - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought Season 1 and Season 2 together and I'm about four episodes in to the first one. It's very Saturday tea-time TV. Scooby-Doo kind of stuff. Very weak and uninteresting. I can't see myself getting to the end of Season 1, let alone starting Season 2. All I want now is a nuclear bomb to go off in Jericho itself. Still, I've got twelve great coasters!

Secret Diary of a Call Girl - Series 1-4 Complete [DVD] [2011]
Secret Diary of a Call Girl - Series 1-4 Complete [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Billie Piper

4.0 out of 5 stars Annoying final series, 18 Jun. 2011
The first couple of seasons are good enough but during the third we saw "Sex & The City" creeping in. By the fourth season Billie's wearing hideous clothes and carrying her handbag at 90 degrees from her body. She's obsessed with clothes and shoes (where she hadn't been up to now) and even tip-toes around her closet - very Carrie Bradshaw.

In the final season we skipped episodes 4.3 and 4.4. John Hopkins - the movie producer - was trying ever so hard to be Matthew McConaughey (and he certainly isn't) and the scenes in America were just unbearable.

In summary, this is a good series that goes downhill towards the end, but lifts slightly in the final couple of episodes. By all means, buy this box-set but keep your finger on the FF button.

Ashes Of Time Redux [2008] [DVD]
Ashes Of Time Redux [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brigitte Lin

1.0 out of 5 stars Better to watch a basket of eggs go off, 17 Jun. 2011
WKW excels himself in this five hour (it felt like it) film about nothing. It's as good as a bad French film noir from the 80's. Lots of blurry lens shots, slo-mo, longing looks. A waste of two evenings. It goes to the bottom of the pile, never to be watched again. Anyone want a second-hand copy?

Lie to Me: Season 2 [DVD]
Lie to Me: Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Roth

1.0 out of 5 stars One is enough, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Lie to Me: Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Before I got half way through Season 1 I bought Season 2. And then Season 1 started going down hill. By the time I started on Season 2 I was just fed up of hearing Tim say "Now that's the truth" or "Now that's a lie". I think even he was fed up and starting taking the mickey. He spent most of this season in character... as Thade from Planet of the Apes - shuffling around sideways and sneering. I'm sure he was pished in one of the episodes early on.

Can't wait for Season 3 - I'll be the first to buy it. "Now that's a lie"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2012 1:05 PM GMT

Cyrano De Bergerac
Cyrano De Bergerac

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT an italian version!, 1 April 2011
This review is from: Cyrano De Bergerac (Audio CD)
The title says it all - despite the track listing on amazon showing the Italian version it is, in fact, sung in French. I know Cyrano was French but I really wanted the Italian version.

There's also no libretto with this CD so unless you're fluent it's quite difficult to follow, even if you've read the play and seen the films as many times as I have.

Regarding the CD itself, the quality of the sound recording (1975 and live) isn't brilliant.

Cecilia Bartoli: Gluck Italian Arias
Cecilia Bartoli: Gluck Italian Arias
Offered by rockstrapuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful... but the packaging!, 13 Jan. 2011
Cecilia Bartoli can do no wrong - and indeed she hasn't. This is a wonderful CD and a must-have. The CD itself is beautiful and has a very 'period' feel to it - if a CD can! But could I get the disk out of the sleeve? Could I heckers! It was in there - snug as a bug. I'm sure there was actually some glue in it. I had to use my finger nails, pinching the disk in an attempt to get some purchase. Fortunately I rip my music to MP3 immediately and listen to it in that form, otherwise either the disk or the package would be ruined in a very short time with the frequency I listen to Cecilia.

24 - Season 8 [DVD]
24 - Season 8 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kiefer Sutherland
Offered by Gaming_Universe

4.0 out of 5 stars A poor finale, 3 Dec. 2010
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
After seven nail-biting seasons (and a poor movie) I was looking forward to the final season. On the whole, I was disappointed. The first few hours - perhaps eight or so - were so slow and the large airtime of the first family of the Islamic Republic of Krumblestan made me think I was watching those terrible sitcoms from the Emirates. Very bad acting: "Faaaather?" And that man's hair! He should've been wearing a white jump suit and rhinestones.

Ok, a couple of spoilers:

When we found out Dana's secret she suddenly went from a wee wifey scared of her mean ex-boyfriend to a psycho. Complete character change. She'd have got him to go to her flat and then got the baddies to go and top him; she wouldn't have let him interfere with the work she had to so.

And the guy with the vest? When he locks himself in the oxygen tank why not a) kill the power to it so he can't read the instructions on how to re-arm the vest, or b) pump gas into the tank instead of oxygen?

I'm all for a little unrealism - I love the first seven seasons - but the combination of bad acting and poor script made an unbelievable plot unbelievable. Hastings was a very unlikely head of CTU. He just didn't have the Bill-factor.

Rene was a disappointment - perhaps more for my wife who'd already planned 24: The Wedding. But at least the nasty Rusky got his just desserts - and we saw them all over the floor.

And what's with the two missing scenes? Novakovich's murder and the hit on the ambulance? Very poor show.

But the ending? I know Jack is Jack - but how could he know where the drone was for his monologue? Corny. It would have been much better with wandering off with his little manbag (hopefully full of bandages for that nasty (second) knife hole in his stomach) just like David Banner. It was certainly left open for another 24 - hopefully a series (with new writers please) and not a film - it just doesn't translate.

The person who quoted this as the best series-ending of all time hasn't watched Six Feet Under (#1) or The Sopranos (#2).

All of this said, I've still given it four stars, mainly because series 1-7 warranted 8 stars but partly because Jack is still out there and I'm scared of him!

I would recommend this season, but be warned, it's the weakest of a very strong series.

Iomega 2.0TB Prestige Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Charcoal Gray
Iomega 2.0TB Prestige Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Charcoal Gray

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost all my files, 27 Aug. 2010
I have been happy with my iomega eSATA EHD so I opted for the same brand when I wanted something bigger to store backups of my DVDs. After moving about 1TB over I got "the click". Every time I tried to access the drive I was told to reformat it. After trying it unsuccessfully on all my comuters I decided to format it but it was well and truly jiggered and wouldn't even format. Took it back to the shop and got a WD 2TB for 40Euros less.

Lessons to be learned:

1. Always COPY files and wait a week before deleting the originals!
2. Don't buy an iomega.
3. Backup the info on the iomega eSATA EHD on the off chance that it also goes tots up.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2011 1:30 PM BST

Birth [DVD]
Birth [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Only because "0 stars" wasn't an option, 9 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Birth [DVD] (DVD)
The slowest heap of rubbish it's been my misfortune to rent.
I won't even go into the implausibility of the film - just don't buy it. Don't rent. Don't even talk about it - you'd be wasting your time.

Page: 1 | 2