Profile for Mick Agar > Reviews

Content by Mick Agar

Mick Agar (Leeds England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Schoffel Mowbray Fleece
Schoffel Mowbray Fleece
Price: £239.95 - £249.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Schoffel Mowbray Fleece, 11 Oct. 2017
This review is from: Schoffel Mowbray Fleece (Apparel)
My overriding feeling is that this looks even smarter in reality than it looks in the picture. I've only just bought mine (and not from Amazon) but I wanted a garment that was both smart and warm and this is it. It oozes quality although it's priced to match. I picked the olive green and it's a classy colour. I'm always very cautious about buying clothes online but this was a pleasant surprise: better than expected.

Collins Wire A5 Weekly Notebook 2018 Diary
Collins Wire A5 Weekly Notebook 2018 Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins Wiro A5 Weekly Notebook Diary 2018., 8 Oct. 2017
I buy one of these every year and give it a 5 star review but the system means the review doesn't carry forward to the following year's edition. I find the A5 version with the binding down the left of the page ideal but there are other versions. We mark a line down the middle of each page to provide a "his and hers" appointments diary and keep it by the phone. If more space is needed, the blank back of the diary pages can be used to write detailed notes. I'm so pleased with this I'd have a standing order for each year's new edition if that was possible.

£1 Coin Holder ,Coin Tube ,One Pound
£1 Coin Holder ,Coin Tube ,One Pound
Offered by Highland Discount's

5.0 out of 5 stars £1 coin holder, 9 Jun. 2017
Mine arrived today, very prompt delivery. Above all, it fits the new £1 coin and will also take the old ones, even if they are a tad loose. That's pretty much all I wanted. Hardly heirloom quality, but good value at under three quid. I wanted this to replace something similar by a different maker which had given good service over many years, but was too small for the new coins. The previous one eventually needed repairs with duck tape but all I need is something that does the job rather than a fashion accessory. I'm pleased I bought this replacement.

Disklok Black Steering Wheel Protection Cover
Disklok Black Steering Wheel Protection Cover
Offered by Festive Lights Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Disklok steering wheel cover, 14 Dec. 2016
I've had a Disklok for a number of years but I stopped using it when I bought an Audi with a leather-covered steering wheel because pressure marks were being caused in the leather. I rather naively assumed that such a sophisticated car would have sophisticated protection against theft. Unfortunately, it seems that although the car can defeat emissions tests, it's not so good against car thieves. So I've bought this.

I'm a bit surprised by others suggesting that this is expensive for what it is because it seems well-made: it's certainly not some bit of cheapo tat that's unravelling before it comes out of the wrapping, so time will tell how long it lasts. I'm confident it will prevent the leather being scratched by the Disklok and I'll look out for pressure damage which this obviously can't prevent. The Disklok's instructions say that that's only a temporary effect and that the leather recovers. I hope so. I've also got my fingers crossed that the Disklok will deter anybody who comes equipped with a computer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2017 7:23 PM GMT

Bosch AXT 25 TC Quiet Shredder, Cutting Capacity 45 mm
Bosch AXT 25 TC Quiet Shredder, Cutting Capacity 45 mm

3.0 out of 5 stars Bosch AXT 25TC shredder, 7 Dec. 2016
I have a smallish garden surrounded by thorny hedges (pyracantha and berberis) of some 40 yards in length and There's about 15 yards of "my side" of a neighbour's leylandii. I generally chop these back once or occasionally twice a year and I find a decent shredder useful to reduce the bulk of the waste. For a number of years I had one of the now obsolete Bosch helix cutter shredders which gradually self-destructed through biting off more than it could chew, despite all my best efforts and TLC. Repair was not cost-effective. I bought this replacement three years ago

My views on the Bosch AXT 25TC turbo cut are based on my experience with the earlier model.

The turbo cut system, which is rather like a traditional lawn mower cyclinder, but tapering and shorter, is excellent for this sort of occasional use, but probably too slow for a frequent user. It simply chomps its way through and with less pull than the helix blade, never seems to get stuck. It needs more help with the prodder but I see this as an advantage. The cutting system is easily worth 5 stars, so what's to grumble about? Practically everything else.

Instead of a simple long outlet chute to prevent injury, this shredder has a guard, which masquerades as a collectiong box. The equipment will not work without it in place, but opening (and so stopping the machine) is the only way to that the shredded material is not backing up into the cutters. Although the box looks big, the shredded material tends to pile up under the cutters, reducing its effective capacity.

Although this machine is advertised for its compactness, its footprint is much larger than taller machines like its predecessor with an outlet chute. In use, the space needed is even greater because clearance is needed to slide out the collection box and to have access to the control panel which is at the other end. Incidentally, I don't find the controls particularly easy to use when wearing heavy gloves and it would probably be easier to do an emergency stop by pulling out the collection box than going round the other end to press the stop button.

The height is low enough to allow storage under a worktop, but that's achieved by having to fit the upper part before use and removing it afterwards. It's stored in the collection box. This makes it a faff if work has to be stopped suddenly and the machine taken under cover eg unexpected rain. It's not particularly easy to move about. The wheels are set too closely together, which dosn't help stability. It doesn't say in the instructions whether it's ok to wheel it about assembled, but the top part does not seem strong enough. Without that fitted, it's necessary to bend right down to wheel it about. The cable is stored wrapped round the nose of the machine but the retaining lugs are too short and there's nothing to retain the cable so that must either be held in place with one hand or it's soon trailing behind.

The instructions could be better.

So for me, an excellent shredding system rendered a disappointment and annoyance by everything else.
The three stars are for cutting system 5, remainder 0 = rounded up average a generous 3.

Viper MAGLITE Webbing D-Cell Flashlight / Torch Holder for police, military
Viper MAGLITE Webbing D-Cell Flashlight / Torch Holder for police, military
Offered by The Golden Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars Viper Maglite Webbing torch holder, 29 Oct. 2016
I'm pleased with this. I suppose the obvious comparison is with the Maglite branded original. This version has a sewn webbing strap rather than the original's leather with a press stud. This means it has to be treaded onto the belt, rather than being clipped over it. That's not a problem for me but it could make regular fitting and removal a bit more complicated for anybody who didn't want to leave it on their belt. I wanted this for another brand of D cell torch and I would have liked to have known the internal diameter to be sure it would fit my torch. It's approx 4.5 cm

Very fast delivery.

Harkila Pro Hunter X Trousers
Harkila Pro Hunter X Trousers
Price: £269.99 - £359.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Karkila Pro Hunter X trousers, 1 Jun. 2016
I imagine that most people buying Harkila clothing have been impressed by seeing it being worn for country sports.

I just wanted some top-quality weatherproof trousers and found these on the internet. This review is aimed at anybody like me who hasn't had the chance to see them being worn.

I'm cautious about buying clothes online as I don't like returning stuff which doesn't fit so I bought these over-the-counter where I could try them on and I'm glad I did because they do fit in spite of not being "my size" ie what I would have ordered online.

These trousers are not cheap but they have been worth every penny, even though the nearest thing to country sports I have worn them for has been watching my grandchildren play soccer. They really are heavy-duty in every respect. Among my favourite features are the big slanting pockets (ideal for keeping hands warm) and the fabric used for the lining which makes my legs feel cosy no matter what the weather. The bottoms of the legs have adjusters which keep the weather out round the ankles, but would make shortening virtually impossible if they were a bit long for the wearer - another reason to try them on before buying.

One reservation is that although the outer fabric is really tough, I wouldn't be confident that it would prevent penetration by thorns etc., which could ruin the Goretex membrane. The manufacturer's guarantee seems a bit vague in this respect covering the outer material for five years. I'd confidently predict that the outer fabric would last 50 or more years, but a Goretex membrane is ruined by a tiny pin-prick.

It's hardly fair to buy something intended for a specialist purpose to criticise it for its features but I'll mention a couple of minor things. The bottoms of the large cargo pockets align with my knees which makes it uncomfortable to carry anything hard and/or heavy. These trousers have zipped ventilators down either side of the hips and it's easy to forget that they are not side pockets, but unzipping them just reveals a strip of mesh fabric. I'll avoid getting overheated in them by only weqaring them in bad weather.

I'm really pleased I bought these.

Harkila Carl - August Braces Green
Harkila Carl - August Braces Green
Offered by BushWear

1.0 out of 5 stars Harkila Carl-August braces, 1 Jun. 2016
I have a pair of these but bought elsewhere as they were not available from Amazon when I bought them.

I bought them to wear with a pair of Harkila trousers which have buttons for braces but, unlike my other Harkila stuff which is excellent, these braces were a disappointment.

Harkila clothing is on the pricey side but the very high quality makes it worth paying. These really are nothing special. eg Makita have some of similar quality on Amazon at half the price but available only with clips. However, the biggest problem for me is that they are much too long. At 5'8" I'm not a giant but nor am I particularly short, but to get them to hold up the trousers mine have to be adjusted so that the sliding adjusters are as far as they will go, ie all the way to the yoke at the back, where they feel uncomfortable. I don't know if this excessive length is a quality control issue but for the adjusters to come halfway up the wearer's chest, as in the picture, they'd need a basketball player.

OK for posing.

In Car Dash Cam Camera DVR Dashboard Digital Driving Video Recorder 512G Anti-glare Polarising Full 1080P HD
Offered by iZilla

3.0 out of 5 stars Nextbase 512G dashcam, 9 May 2016
I've had a dashcam some six years and, fortunately, I've not had any reason such as a crash to need to use its footage, so it just nestled unnoticed behind the mirror. More recently, the adhesive mount began to fail and would drop of the windscreen with increasing frequency so I decide to get a new one with more recent technology and a suction mount so I bought a Nextbase 512.

The first thing out of the box was an offer of a Nextbase carry case for an Amazon review of the dashcam. This has not affected my review.

Although the suction mount sticks firmly to the windscreen, the first disappointment was not being able to hide it behind the rearview mirror. It's also impossible to position the camera as near to the windscreen as I would like so my recordings include quite a bit of car bonnet. (It's pointed slightly downwards in accordance with the instructions to avoid too much sky in shot.)

There are eight buttons to set up and operate this dashcam, with arguably the two most important ones -'on/off' and OK/record - on the top edge where they cannot easily be seen when the dashcam is mounted on the windscreen. Although various settings can be altered using onscreen menus, the manufacturers recommend retaining the default setiings, which I've found to be OK: this suggests to me it might usefully have been kept much simpler. It's arguable that the principal need for a screen is the display of the set-up menus.

I've been generally very pleased with the quality of the footage when played back on my computer using the Windows media player although it's sometimes difficult to read the yellow information about speed along the bottom of the frame when it's superimposed on my white bonnet.

The only significant problem I've had is that the Nextbase replay software will not replay my recordings, although other features such as the GPS mapping seem to be working correctly. I tried loading it both from the supplied CD and from a download. I'll mention here that although the replay software enables stills to be captured, there seems to be no way of reviewing a bit of footage frame-by-frame to get the best one to capture. (No use for me anyway because it would just be capturing an on-screen mess.)

I've made two calls to the support helpline where the people were friendly and helpful, but after downloading and running the firmware update and the codecs software the replay problem persists and for the moment I've given up trying to sort it out. It's certainly not been "fit and forget" like my old dashcam. I'll rely on the Windows media player for now and hope to continue crash-free.

This has all meant that I have had to remove the dashcam from its mount a number of times and I have not found that as easy as I would like.

I'm something of a worrier and I bought my first dashcam and this replacement to have a record of events if I should be in a crash etc. Many dashcams including this one and my old one are promoted on having a wide-angle lens. Nobody ever seems to mention that this inevitably makes everything seem further away than it really is, much like a convex wing mirror. It also gives the impression of driving more quickly since that apparently greater distance is covered in the time appropriate for the true distance. Although I've thankfully had no crashes, a couple of times over the years when people have pulled out dangerously I've reviewed the footage and they seemed to be miles away. I worry that in the the event of a crash, it would appear at first sight that I had had much longer to react than was actually the case and also that I had been driving too fast. Expert analysis should reveal the truth, of course, but I'd be happier with something that didn't do this, even if it meant sacrificing some field-of-view.

Finally, having ploughed through a lot of reviews for any mention of the replay problem (and am I alone in finding that displaying reviews for all the different Nextbase models together is unhelpful?) I'm now worried that the internal battery may fail just when I need it.

Ortlieb Foldable Car Boot Liner-Green-50 L
Ortlieb Foldable Car Boot Liner-Green-50 L

1.0 out of 5 stars Ortlieb foldable car boot liner., 23 April 2016
I'm a big fan of Ortieb stuff, but this was a disappointment by their normally high standards. It's OK for what it is but usually with Ortlieb, it's top price for top quality. This was top price for very ordinary. Had this been a discount retailer's own-brand product, it would have been less than a tenner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9