Profile for SDMay > Reviews

Content by SDMay

SDMay (Cambridge)

Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great tips and perfect daily read, 25 Jan. 2017
I am a huge fan of Tim Ferriss but I have to agree this was not for his '1000 True Fans' who have listened to all his podcasts and read (most) of his blog posts. I too have found there was little structure in his writing, and I would recommend this book to those who have listened to few or none of his podcasts. Of course there are good things in here, plus Tim is a superb interviewer who brings out the best in his guests. I am however disappointed by the lack of cohesion in this book, and also by the inclusion of stories I have heard and read elsewhere eg. on his depression or thoughts on suicide (that aside, I must thank Tim again for sharing such powerful, personal stories on his blog, no doubt he has helped many). I can relate to Tim's story because I too had a mixed experience at a Russel group university (equivalent to the Ivy League in the US), plus I find it refreshing that he addresses a wide range of interests in and outside of academia.

I am still a fan but pretty please Tim listen to your 'true fans' and don't value quantity over quality like you have done here. To end on a positive note, I have found this book perfect for heavy weightlifting sessions - I read and re-read entries between sets (about 2 mins) therefore leave the gym feeling a little stronger both mentally and physically!

Mid-Feb update:
I have upped this review to 4 stars because I felt I had not been fair, when I only dislike two things about this book: the lack of structure, and the repetitions from past podcasts and posts. Now that I religiously read and revisit a couple of sections on a daily basis (just for 20 mins with my morning coffee) I can say that this book has helped me tremendously in my everyday. Therefore, I have changed my mind about this book (they do say that only fools don't change their mind!), and would recommend it to people who have questions, are on the hunt for change (and magic) but need guidance. I would now say that reading 'The Tools' is not a substitute for the podcasts, but instead, this book works well alongside the podcast episodes. Don't expect a narrative and use this work like a box of life-saving tools, who knows, they might trigger changes in your life like they have done in mine.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Premium Leather Blue Wallet Flip Case Cover Pouch + Mini Touch Stylus Pen + RED 2 IN 1 Dust Stopper + Screen Protector & Polishing Cloth SVL1 BY SHUKAN®, (WALLET BLUE)
Offered by Shukan

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 24 May 2016
Awful quality I binned the case as soon as as I'd opened it up because it was not worth the hassle of sending it back. You get what you pay for I suppose so be smarter than me and buy another case.

The Obstacle is the Way: The Ancient Art of Turning Adversity to Advantage
The Obstacle is the Way: The Ancient Art of Turning Adversity to Advantage
by Ryan Holiday

4.0 out of 5 stars Great content but average form, 26 Nov. 2015
I am a fan of Ryan Holiday and his work, plus I have never written a book so I have a lot of respect for those who publish anything. I discovered him on Lewis Howes' podcast (really inspiring, check it out) a couple of years ago and while I still like what he does (Dr Drew intereviewd him on his podcast where he discussed his upcoming book about the ego) I have mixed feelings about this book. To me it should not be read in one go, rather, take it to the gym or on the train where you can pick up sections of the text. If you want hardcore philosophy then don't buy this book because it is written in plain English, without any complex concept to grasp. However I found it too anecdotal and simplistic so I cannot recommend it for its form, but rather, for its content: Ryan's work reminds us that there is little growth in the comfort zone and that the greats of this world, like us, had many obstacles to overcome on their way to success.

The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook
The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook
by Mickey Trescott

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable help for those on the AIP, 30 Nov. 2014
I recently bought the e- version of this book and I wish I had done it sooner. I have been trying to implement the AIP for more than a year now after going Paleo three years ago. But it is very hard, especially for people who are very busy, and frankly, who isn't these days? I would also recommend buying Sarah Ballantyne's The Paleo Approach book as it will help understand the links between health and diet and more importantly it will convince readers (who are sick and tired of being sick and tired, like myself) to try the AIP. Then, I would suggest acquiring as many AIP friendly or related cookbooks as possible because it is a difficult diet to implement and sustain. I suffer from IBD so eating gut-irritant food is no longer an option, but despite this, I need variety in my diet and inspirational books such as Mickey's to keep going. Some reviewers have found her recipes too simple, which is partly true. But for the most part I have found her work invaluable as the shopping lists, meal plans and recipes have helped me stay on track with the protocol. I would not want more complicated recipes because I spend enough time selecting and preparing food as it is (I am getting better at making fermented tea, sauerkraut and bone broth but I certainly remember spending less time in the kitchen when my diet mainly consisted of salads, sandwiches and Kellogg's K). Having Mickey's pretty e-book on my tablet is useful because I can refer to its content when I am in my own kitchen but also when I am away from home, say when I am travelling or grocery shopping. Strict adherence to the protocol has helped me tremendously but I don't think I would manage without books like these as they emphasize the possibilities of the protocol as opposed to its limitations.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2015 11:21 AM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money + time, 25 Nov. 2014
Poor quality but for its price I couldn't ask for much more! It is not even adequate for one-off use. Avoid and invest in better quality eg. Next Home do lovely ones with a fine finish.

Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
by Elaine Gottschall

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't give up, help is at hand, 16 Nov. 2011
This is a well-written book on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, a milder version of the low starch diet. Do not buy the book if you are not willing to commit to this diet, as it offers no simple solutions. Very limited intake of starch, disaccharides and polysaccharides are banned, so are soya and dairy products, chocolate, processed foods...It is no simple task to implement such a diet in western societies, so many changes are needed, be ready to invest in flasks/tupperwares: planning is key to succeeding. The diet is backed up by research, and accessible to most readers, however a little knowledge in medecine is preferable. Having said that, if like me your digestive tract has always been problematic, then you too would have done extensive research on the digestive system, so the language should not be a problem. I have yet to abide 100% by the diet, but I am working towards that goal. A food diary is helpful. I do not regret purchasing this book, it comes with tasty recipes too, a bonus - for all that, I am grateful for Elaine Gotschall's work.