Profile for Gary Lee Morrison > Reviews

Content by Gary Lee Morrison

Gary Lee Morrison (An American in Hong Kong)

Page: 1 | 2
Signs And Wonders [DVD]
Signs And Wonders [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stellan Skarsgård
Offered by OAKMEADIANS

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Wondering, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Signs And Wonders [DVD] (DVD)
I liked the film at the time, but it is forgettable. I can't remember much about it now even though I saw it just months ago. Maybe it needs a second viewing. I'm a Charlotte Rampling fan, so I see anything she does. This is good but not her best work. Still, worth seeing even though I am still wondering why I liked it.

Riverford Farm Cook Book: Tales from the Fields, Recipes from the Kitchen
Riverford Farm Cook Book: Tales from the Fields, Recipes from the Kitchen
by Guy Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Found in Somerset, 7 July 2013
I was in Somerset when I learned from colleagues about this Devon farm. They go there fairly regularly and take away vegetable boxes and others. Everything is fresh, organic, and delicious. I couldn't take their book, so I got the publishing information and purchased a copy, the last one, at Waterstone's near UCL. When I returned to Hong Kong, I gave it to a friend who comes from Somerset and loves cooking but who had never heard of Riverford Farm. The recipes are easy to follow and the flavors are great. I have since purchased a copy this cook book for my own. I have learned so much about vegetables, seasonal foods, and cooking. I love this book - and I recommend it to anyone who loves cooking with fresh, seasonal foods.

Sundays and Cybele [1962] DVD
Sundays and Cybele [1962] DVD
Dvd ~ Hardy Krüger
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Forgotten, 12 July 2011
"Sundays and Cybele" holds up even after nearly 50 years. I remember seeing it as a very young man and it lodged in my memory as a very touching and moving story of two damaged souls discovering life and love together. Still controversial after all these years, it tells of the older pilot traumatized from bombing an innocent girl in a Vietnamese war and in another time, another place, of a young girl unloved and abandoned by parents and dropped off in a convent in a small French provincial town. Their worlds are shattered. They cling to what it means to be alive and loved. These two strangers come together. They talk. They play. They take meandering walks along a pond, a river. They help to open up each other's feelings of joy and happiness. It is love and light. But perceptions are reality and those around these innocent victims perceive a dark and treacherous motivation in the pilot. They conspire to save the girl, which leads to the inexorable tragic climax. Interesting to revisit the film that was never forgotten, a memory of a haunting, lyrical and tragic story of love, loss, innocence and betrayal. It was as vivid and engrossing now as it was 50 years ago, only the styles have changed.
It left me thinking what it might be like to have an American remake, possibly Brad Pitt playing the Hardy Kruger role, reshaping the black and white images into the light and dark shadows of color. But the original "Sundays and Cybele" will always remain a classic.

Damn Yankees [VHS] [1958]
Damn Yankees [VHS] [1958]

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lost Musical Treasure - Damn Yankees, 14 Jan. 2004
Damn Yankees turns the old Faustian tale upside down. Here the Devil's temptress is the sensational Gwen Verdon who frames a middle age baseball fan and transforms him into a super player on the opposing team, the Washington Senators. Funny, clever, and exceptional 1950s musical, Damn Yankees gives us one of the few film performances of the Broadway legend, Gwen Verdon, the highly acclaimed dancer wife of Bob Fosse. As the Devil's temptress, she reprises her Broadway show-stopper "Whatever Lola Wants", among other well staged musical song and dance numbers. Tab Hunter and Ray Walston co-star, but Gwen Verdon dominates the film. Gwen Verdon made up in talent what she lacked in looks, and regardless of the somewhat dated quality of the film, her performance alone makes this a must-have in any film collection. It is a shame this classic George Abbott and Stanley Donen musical has not been transferred to DVD, but VHS is better than nothing. Once seen Gwen Verdon is unforgettable, and for her performance alone the film is highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2