Profile for Rachale's Reads > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Woman at Number 24
The Woman at Number 24

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this fantastic book!, 20 April 2017
Having read Juliet Ashton’s previous novel I was looking forward to her next book as I adored ‘These Days of Ours’, especially when I received and read the sampler.

It sounded quite a light read but it was much more emotional and mysterious than I expected. This only added an extra layer of depth, to what was already a pretty fantastic book. It is so easy to read and find yourself consumed by this book, so much so I stayed up till the early hours of the morning, unable to put it down. While most of the book takes place in the house and it’s gaden, because it’s converted to flats you get a nice variety of characters and story all intertwined.

The main character is Sarah and it’s from her viewpoint we read the book. At times I really liked Sarah, she was naturally kind and willing to give people a chance, like Mavis from the basement flat. However this also extended to her ex husband, Leo. She wasn’t over him, and therefore was quite naive I think, especially in the hope that helping her paint the flat proved he still loved her. She accepted that his careless, hapless nature was the way he was, and made excuses for him. At the worst times he came off really creepy, and at best he was inconsiderate as to how Sarah may feel. I was begging Sarah to have more strength in her, and at times she did, seeing Leo squirm when she told him how ridiculous the situation was, was great, but then she went back to defending him to everyone else. It was easy to dislike Leo initially, but by the end I think Sarah somehow hypnotised me. I didn’t like him as such but thought that maybe he had changed, and could see growth in a character, that for the first part of the book, I saw no hope for.

Despite her grumpy exterior, I loved Mavis. Yes she was cantankerous, but at times her light shone through and you could see she wanted to change and make amends, and become and better neighbour and more importantly, a friend to everyone.

Jane was certainly a larger then life character, she was instantly someone trustworthy and you wanted to become best friends with.

This book delivered so much more than I expected. Emotion, laughs and mystery, I simply adored every minute of reading it.

Girl 99
Girl 99

5.0 out of 5 stars 5/5 I’ve read the first two books by Andy Jones and they were both very good, so I was definitely looking forward to this ..., 9 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Girl 99 (Kindle Edition)
4.5/5

I’ve read the first two books by Andy Jones and they were both very good, so I was definitely looking forward to this one. It has a slightly lighter tone than the other two, but still has the same sense of fun, and I was soon relaxing as I delved into the story.

The writing is as sharp and observant as the other two. You have the funny moments, even when it’s also quite bad at the same time, there is some humour to it.

I was worried initially that I wouldn’t like Tom because I couldn’t relate to his objective and at the start he was more about the numbers than the people in one way, but I was stupid for worrying. I actually really liked him, he’s flawed (aren’t we all?!) but likeable. I loved reading about him and his family. As he was a fair bit older than his sister, it left him in the middle a bit, but he stuck up for his sister a lot which was great to see. Also to see his sister grow as well, especially when going on

This book also stars El, who also starred in Andy’s book ‘The Two of Us’, but this book is set before then, so El’s illness is less progressed. This didn’t stop the emotion being there. el’s relationship with Phil was absolutely heartbreaking. It added a bit more depth, to a story that is relatively light hearted.

This book was a fairly quick read that offers a lot of heart, but also the sense of fun I’ve come to enjoy from Andy’s books, even more so than the other books given the lighter overall tone.

Book provided from publisher and author in exchange for an honest review

A Song for Tomorrow
A Song for Tomorrow
by Alice Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-breaking, uplifting and inspirational., 22 Feb. 2017
This review is from: A Song for Tomorrow (Paperback)
I’ve read a couple of books by Alice Peterson before, and enjoyed them both, add that with all the hype I read on twitter surrounding this book, I knew I was in for a treat. This book was certainly something special.

The power of this book is shown by how hard it was for me to write this review, and how many times I’ve re-wrote the intro. Basically this book had me tongue-tied. The writing is beautiful. It is a book that begs you to take your time over it. You could easily read this in a day, but it made me want to take my time over it and savour each page. The characterisation is as wonderful as the rest of there book. You hear from 3 different people, Alice, Tom and Alice’s mother. They were all unique perspectives on their feelings on Alice and how they deal with Alice’s illness. I absolutely adored Alice’s mum’s perspective, they were incredibly moving.

Alice herself is incredibly determined, headstrong and at times stubborn. Her passion for music was clear and her obvious passion for life was inspirational. Of course she worries and is increasingly scared as the book continues, but she constantly pushes herself to make the most of life. Following her dreams is important to her, however far away they may seem, and it’s something we could all learn from.

om, for the most part was absolutely lovely. He clearly loved Alice and cared for her. Though their relationship is complex at times, and at times he disappointed me, but would I act differently if I was in the same situation? I don’t know, so I can’t act all self righteous. Their romance was wonderful to read however, his caring side was beautiful and their playfulness together made me smile.

It’s only February and am positive this will be in my top ten books of the year. It is loosely based on the life of Alice Martineau and that just makes it all the more emotional and special. It is heart-breaking, uplifting and inspirational. This book will stick in my mind for a long time.

The Secret Lives of the Amir Sisters: From Bake Off winner to bestselling novelist

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 12 Jan. 2017
4.5/5

First off, I love the Bake off, so was clearly intrigued when I found out Nadiya was releasing another book, but not cooking or baking, oh no, it was women’s fiction. So would this book be as good as her cakes look? The answer would be yes.

The writing is sharp and funny and certainly kept me reading as all the characters were relatable in someway. They evoked sympathy, annoyance and a whole range of emotions. We hear from all four sisters at separate times, each is distinct from each other and it was interesting to see the inner workings of a family that were close knit, but equally, secretive at the same time. Each sister having to navigate pleasing their parents with their own struggles.

While we hear from all four sisters, the main focus is on Fatima. She is shy and incredibly self-conscious. I completely warmed to her and connected with how she was feeling, relating to her weight issues and it also saddened me how disconnected she seemed from the family. You could tell she loved her sisters and parents dearly, but always worried they looked down on her, because of how useless she felt. I think her driving instructor, Ash was a great influence on her.

I also really liked Mae, despite doing something incredibly naïve which hurts her family, I think it shows the age difference between the sisters, and I can imagine the fascination i’d have with youtube and twitter etc. if I was that age. She clearly meant no Malice.

I felt sympathy for the secret Farah was keeping, and then to have her world turned upside down with all the uncertainty must be very hard.

The only thing I wish was that there was more conclusion to Bubblee’s story, we didn’t really get to know her as much as the other sister’s I feel, it does lead me to hope there is a sequel about her, and maybe more from Mae. As I said this book mainly focused on Fatima, and actually there was a fair bit on Farah too, so I think another book focusing on Bubblee and Mae would be perfect.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, I could barely put it down. It was funny, completely true to life, you can definitely imagine each of these characters being alive, as if it was an autobiography rather than fiction. More please!

Gratefully supplied by the Publisher in exchange of an honest review

Miracle On 5th Avenue (From Manhattan with Love, Book 3)
Miracle On 5th Avenue (From Manhattan with Love, Book 3)
by Sarah Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars If I had to sum up this review in three words? Buy it NOW!, 20 Dec. 2016
So until February this year, I had yet to read any of Sarah Morgan’s book, plenty of them sitting on my kindle, but while I was working my way round to them, Sarah’s ‘Manhattan in Love’ series captured my attention, if you know me there will be no surprise as to why that is. Anyway, ever since I read ‘Sleepless In Manhattan’ I am a fully fledged Sarah Morgan fan. The cover in this book is as absolutely stunning, the colours are gorgeous and the Christmassy, twinklyness of it is just beautiful. The series has just got better and better. I really enjoyed the first two books, don’t get me wrong, but Sarah has definitely saved the best for last. Throughout the last two books, Eva has been my favourite of the three girls, so I guess it was inevitable that I would feel this way.

The absolute best thing about this book was the New York setting, and how Sarah captures the atmosphere, essence and spirit of New York in all of these three books. It provokes memories of times I’ve visited the city. Many authors write about New York, and lots do it well, but Sarah in this book has captured it the best that I remember. I would love to read some books of hers set in LA or real life places I haven’t been to, as I am sure she would do an equally good job there.

While I said the setting was the best thing in the book, but naturally her characterisation is also fantastic. Basically everything is polished and pretty much perfection in 352 pages.

Eva is a romantic at heart, and I completely connected with her from the first book, so couldn’t wait for a whole Eva focused book. She’s actually shows quite a feisty side to her at times, which made me smile. She clearly cares for people, and wants to make them happy, even though she’s hurting inside at the loss of her gran. I simply am a bit in love with Eva.

Lucas has a lot of mystery to him, and that makes him the perfect lead. He’s also very gruff and can come across as rude and stand-offish, but the sneak peeks you get at the ‘real’ him keep you holding out hope. Infact this book was almost like a Beauty and the Beast re-telling, but more like Beauty and the Stunningly-Gorgeous-Author.

If I had to sum up this review in three words? Buy it NOW!

Single by Christmas: A funny, heart warming, feel good, Christmas romance
Single by Christmas: A funny, heart warming, feel good, Christmas romance

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read that made me smile, 28 Nov. 2016
This book sounded a lot of fun. A book that you can read and enjoy to take your mind off of real life, and it was pretty much just that. It’s pretty outrageous at tie, and that is exactly what you need at times.

The writing makes it easy to capture your attention for long reading sessions. This is mostly in part to our protagonist, Alex. At times I really empathised with her, and the rest was spent in shock at her outrageous attitude. I understand how dejected Charlie felt in their first week of mishaps.
At first i thought it was just a bit of absent mindedness, but as time went on it seemed more like she didn’t listen to Charlie, and didn’t really consider him in her choices.

She hated Charlie’s best friend, Stevo. I don’t blame her, I hated him to, but she had issue with his ‘bros before ho’s’ attitude, but there were many times she put her friends before Charlie. That said, Stevo was a complete two-faced twit, and that’s putting it lightly. His attitude was less ‘bros before ho’s’ and more being a sneaky and jealous person who was determined that Charlie should spend all his time in his presence and no one else.

As I said before, while I think she was annoying at times with her lack of thought and attention to her relationship, I did really feel for her job dilemma a bit, and there were times when she was a lot of fun. The prologue outside the church was a deeper look into Alex, and it was this that reminded me throughout the book that there was good in her overall, once she got perspective.

Charlie was really the perfect boyfriend, and I really felt for all he put up with. He has the patience of a saint, and according to every woman in the book, absolutely gorgeous to boot.

Overall this book was a fun read that had me laughing at times and was a great distraction throughout a time when I needed my spirits lifted.

The Regulars
The Regulars

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smart, fresh and unique read!, 2 Sept. 2016
This review is from: The Regulars (Kindle Edition)
I was really intrigued by this book, especially after reading the chapter sampler that ‘Books and the City’ kindly gave me at the spring blogger event. It didn’t sound like anything I’d read before so it was very excited to try something new.

The book is as fascinating as it sounds. The writing style is great, it’s sharp and packs a punch, it’s a lot darker than most of the books I read and liked that about it. I’m used to very cosy and warm writing (which i equally enjoy), so it was a great contrast.
Set in New York this book is part women’s fiction and part something else. I can’t quite put my finger on what though…realistic fantasy? Obviously the Pretty potion couldn’t happen in real life, but the setting was set in the world we know. The potion was almost fairy tale or maybe fable is a better way of putting it, as there was lessons to be learned.

Obviously body image and beauty standards is one that comes into question, but also covers feminism quite heavily. It’s very topical as while in today’s society we are more socially aware, we still have publications that have numbers articles a week or month about who looks like they’ve gained a few pounds, or dared to go outside without make up.

The three characters are all flawed (as are we all), both as regular and pretty, but while I found myself wondering what the hell some of the characters were doing at times (Krista especially), I was enthralled in the story that I could barely put this down.

Evie started out as the most likeable character but possibly changed the most throughout the book, and until very close to the end it was for the worse. However I think that Evie wouldn’t recognise the person she changed into, both physically AND on the inside. Yes she was still a fierce feminist, but she failed to see her reliance on the potion to land her idol as a girlfriend as slightly ironic compared to her disdain at things such as makeup. We can do desperate things for love sometimes, but the potion seemed to make her forget all sense, though it’s easy to see that from an outside perspective.
It was great that in her professional life she was trying her best to make a difference, but I think she should have realised that no matter what she says, they aren’t going to change. That is a defeatist attitude I realise and if it is just one person standing up maybe things won’t change, but there are strength in numbers and the book makes you stop and think.

Krista is one crazy character and probably my most disliked initially. She was inconsiderate and her antics means she didn’t help herself in any shape or form. Krista was always doing crazy things, whether it’s missing auditions for shopping or having some fun with an award statue, she was impulsive and that’s who she was throughout most of the book. However I think she possibly ended up the character I had the most fun with and she definitely seemed to grow the most as a person.

Willow I would love to get to know more, she was very withdrawn and incredibly sensitive and insecure. Her story was heart breaking at times and I kind of want a Novella on each character as follow ups!

This book was a surprise when I first heard about it, and I’m glad I had the chance to read it. Smart, fresh and an incredibly engaging read from the beginning till end.

Don't You Cry: A gripping suspense full of secrets
Don't You Cry: A gripping suspense full of secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 16 Aug. 2016
4.5/5

Whilst I have both of Mary Kubica’s previous novels sitting on my kindle, I have yet to read them. Story of my life, I know. I love this kind of book, so couldn’t wait to delve in.

Straight away the writing was descriptive and while it was slow paced for the first 40%, I think this book benefitted from it while the mystery and confusion was built. It completely drew me in, enrapturing my attention so I was concentrating on every single detail.

This book is shown in two different perspectives, Alex and Quinn. However they don’t know each other and live in different towns, so there was always something in the back of my mind wondering the connection. Both characters were really interesting to get to know.

Quinn was really relatable to me as we’re similar in age. While trying to solve the mystery surrounding the sudden disappearance of her roommate Esther, she went through a broad spectrum of emotions, and one scene on a bus got tenser and tenser where I found myself almost holding my breathe. I loved with how she teamed up with Ben, a welcome addition to the book, not only giving Quinn a sounding board and someone to talk to, but giving her a different side to her than just the slightly slobby-turned detective roommate.

Alex was a different kettle of fish. in the second quarter of the book he done something that I found slightly creepy and I wondered his obsession with the doctor opposite, it seemed to be more than just the connection he saw between the doctor and Pearl’s appearance. However my overall feeling about him was how strong he was. His mother left when he was about five, and he was bought up with his father, who is an alcoholic. He almost had seemed to give up on his own life, resigned to staying and earning money to pay the rent and bills, while his father just stayed at home, rather than making friends or going to college. It was heart breaking to see, but he stayed pretty strong throughout never showing vulnerability.

The conclusion of this book was fast paced and fascinating as all the clues fell into place. This book is a fantastic read and I cannot wait to get stuck into more books by Mary.

Sunset In Central Park (From Manhattan with Love, Book 2)
Sunset In Central Park (From Manhattan with Love, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is Heart-warming, romantic and fun., 22 July 2016
As per the first book in this series ‘Sleepless in Manhattan’ (now known as ‘Sleepless’), this cover is incredibly beautiful. I have to admit as much as I adore the cover of ‘Sleepless’, this one edges it for my favourite, for one special reason. That reason being it stars a bridge which is very similar to one in Central park which is set to be my wedding ceremony venue. I’ve added a picture of it so you can all awe in it’s beauty (or not). Anyway, obviously this holds a special place in my heart, so obviously this cover wins, even if it is less pink.

After reading ‘Sleepless’ earlier this year, I was eagerly awaiting the follow up books and we are treated with the second book less than 6 months later, so I was hoping for another wonderful treat from Sarah Morgan. New York is spectacularly described, which I wouldn’t expect any less after reading ‘’Sleepless’. It adds to my own memories and emotions I connect with my favourite place on Earth. I also loved the section focused on where they grew up, Puffin Island. I’ve not read any of Sarah’s books that are based there but this was a charming introduction and I really want to read those books soon to get to know it better.

‘Sunset in Central Park’ focuses on Frankie and her life. We quickly understand that she is very guarded, she hates weddings because all relationships are doomed to failure. For Frankie it’s a case of relationships ‘will’ end, not a ‘might’. ‘As long as we both shall live’ is merely a fairytale constructed by the romantics in life. I found this incredibly sad, and in a few moments frustrating.

I know Frankie was hurt by her past, especially her parents relationship, it clearly affected her a great deal so therefore closed herself off to people and was pessimistic about all things love. It was just so sad to see someone so despondent about love.

The frustration comes in when she denies her growing feelings for Matt. You could tell he was a great guy even in the first book, this book just expands that warm feeling. He’s sensitive, kind and caring. You can tell that if he was in a relationship he was completely focused and committed and wouldn’t mess around or hurt you. This time with Frankie it wasn’t Matt she thought would doom the relationship, it was Frankie herself that would mess things up, and being a tad bit stubborn, she refused to believe otherwise. I realise it was due to her past issues. Matt dealt with this wonderfully, he took charge, and changed pace when needed, he was very sweet.

It was also great seeing her friends help her especially Eva. The scene where Frankie helps Eva after realising Eva had been crying was beautiful, they are polar opposites when it comes to romance, but seeing their strong friendship bond really help each other was a wonderful thing to read.

Once again we are treated to a great story that is wonderfully romantic, gives you smiles and warm fuzzy feelings, and since we get to know Eva a little better leave me asking for more, meaning book #3 is on my highly anticipated releases – is next month in time for my birthday too soon?

Valentina: A hauntingly intelligent psychological thriller
Valentina: A hauntingly intelligent psychological thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning Debut, 1 July 2016
First off, this cover is simply stunning. Definitely one of my favourite cover so far this year, I have grown a slight obsession with it. The typography is simple, allowing the focus to be on the absolutely beautiful illustration of the house silhouette engulfed in flames intertwined with faces. So beautiful and a lovely colour palette.

The first chapter is quite stark and bleak. I’m sure that sounds quite a cutting and negative remark, when actually this book needed that feeling. It portrays the loneliness and isolation Shona feels as she adjusts to her idyllic but very rural cottage. As soon she is Valentina and we get flashbacks to win Shona and Mikey meet, the book warms. Well I say it warms, there is often scepticism in Shona’s mind at Valentina’s eccentric and at times erratic behaviour, but regardless it’s a different tone and feeling cast over the book. That is until you get to the end of a segment, where Shona reflects back on the events and how she should’ve known better. You instantly cool at this, as the confusion and mystery sets in on your mind.

This was powerful, how S E Lynes managed to capture the mood between Shona alone or reflecting on past events, contrasting with Shona with company.

Shona is easy to relate to, particularly to me as I was once in a similar situation. Let me clarify, nothing mysterious or creepy happened, just that I lived on the edge of an incredibly tiny village (with a crap bus service and I didn’t drive) where Simon worked away five days a week so I can understand the isolation Shona was feeling especially with only a baby to talk to. At least I have work colleagues 9-to-5. I can easily see how Shona clung to Valentina, and looked over her strange and at times suspicious behaviour where others might question it.

Valentina is pretty hard to describe, her bubbly and eccentric personality would keep you distracted, so you wouldn’t question anything that she tells you. However there is always something on the back of your mind niggling away at you. Is that the truth, an exaggeration, or just an outright lie? You always second-guessing yourself as to what is real and what is not.

Shona’s husband Mikey seems very hands off at times. He’s obviously wanting what’s best for his family, but doesn’t see that his dream career move could be destroying thing that he’s supposed to care about the most.

Interspersed with the main story you get several passages that speak in a completely different tone, almost poetic with foresight of what’s to come. So you always know something is coming but not precisely what happens or the journey that it takes to get there.

This book was somewhat of a surprise, I expected to enjoy it, don’t get me wrong, but I certainly didn’t think it would be the type of book to keep me up to 1:15 AM (especially with the 9 AM gym session that morning). It was everything that I love about the genre. A stunning debut novel much you should definitely check out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6