Profile for Lady Chamfered-Edges > Reviews

Content by Lady Chamfered...

Lady Chamfered-Edges (London)

The Hour I First Believed
The Hour I First Believed

2.0 out of 5 stars Overly long and too busy, 3 April 2015
I bought this having read 'I know this much is true', which I had enjoyed but been disappointed by the ending.

I bought 'The hour I first believed' expecting a personal account of a fictional Columbine survivor.

Approx the first fifth of the book is pre-Columbine and develops the main character, and his relationships with his wife and family.

The next section is given over to Columbine, and long transcripts of the actual killer's videos and diaries. This is space which could have been used to give the character's reactions rather than reproducing information available outside of this book.

Then the book skips ahead a significant period, with Columbine being referenced as the "bifurcation" point of their lives, but this seems to be pushed into the background with all of the many themes which are subsequently shoe-horned into this book: drugs, death, law-suits, illegitimacy, family lost and found, infidelity, family trees, PTSD, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, the Iraq War. In addition to the overly busy plot, the narrative skips between the main character's viewpoint, letters and diaries from the 1800s, newspaper articles, excerpts from faux books, transcripts from the Columbine killers' journals, the whole of someone's PhD thesis.

As a result it is hard to get invested in any of the characters, of which there are too many spanning hundreds of years. Unfortunately I was skim-reading this book from about halfway through and lost interest in what happened to them.

I would give the author another go as I enjoyed one of his other books until the ending, and the first part of this one, but I was disappointed with most of this book.

Leaving Time
Leaving Time

3.0 out of 5 stars Half good (spoilers), 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Leaving Time (Kindle Edition)
I have loved so many books by this author but every so often there is one that disappoints, and in some cases seems derivative. In this case the elephant research was fascinating and well researched, but the twist was too reminiscent of Sixth Sense, only not executed quite as well.

eFuture(TM) Baby Blue/White Polka Dot Leather Wallet Flip Standing Case Cover fit for the new Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 +eFuture's nice Keyring

1.0 out of 5 stars What is a case for?, 19 Nov. 2013
I bought this case to protect my phone.

I dropped my phone while it was in the case which offered no protection - it opened on first impact and the phone's screen cracked. Pretty unhappy about this!

Man Skills
Man Skills
by Nick Harper

4.0 out of 5 stars Skills!, 27 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Man Skills (Hardcover)
I bought this on impulse - and was glad I did: the title says it all. It has pride of place in our bathroom and is mandatory reading for those sit down jobs... Really actually quite useful.