Profile for G. J. Llewellyn > Reviews

The Long Way Home [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Lemmon
Offered by usnap

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely film, 17 Feb. 2017
This review is from: The Long Way Home [DVD] (DVD)
Very much a feel good film that leaves you wondering what happened next. It won't appeal to those younger people who are looking for excitement and who get turned off by anything involving old age. But it's very perceptive in showing how the generation gap can be overcome and how old age doesn't necessarily mean senility.
There's a memorable scene in which Lemmon and Sarah Paulson (playing a 21-year old) are obliged to share a bed for the night. Paulson strips off and asks Lemmon when he's going to get undressed. Lemmon says, "I think you've done enough undressing for both of us". She'd assumed that because he was in his 70s he would no longer be sexually interested. A part of her learning curve.

Don Kenyon: His Own Man
Don Kenyon: His Own Man
by Tim Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars It seems like yesterday to me, 17 Feb. 2017
Don Kenyon became my hero when I was 13 and he was playing in a Test Trial at Edgbaston. He was surrounded by some greats, such as Hutton and Compton, but a couple of off drives did the trickt and I followed his career thereafter. I even used my own career to get to Worcester (although only managed the last stage after he'd retired). So I had to get this book.

Tim Jones has obviously done a lot of research and presents not only the performances but the character of the man himself, aided by many interviews with contemporary players, especially those in the Worcestershire team of the successful sixties. I learned more about his family, too. There's a good selection of photographs.

The writer is slightly handicapped by being too young to be around at that time. The 1950s and 1960s were a very different age from today. It was a time generally of declining crowds, partly because of an increase in other attractions and partly because of what appeared to be an unenterprising culture. But pitches were uncovered, so varied not only locally but according to the weather. Good bowlers reaped a harvest and batsmen often struggled with the conditions except in rare dry summers like 1959. Don's career average of 33 looks modest but it's about the equivalent of 50 today. Those of us who followed Worcestershire in the 1960s had a great time which was not experienced in most other counties. Even Yorkshire supporters probably didn't enjoy it as much because winning had always been taken for granted. My impression was that the county players were fairly like the rest of us but doing a more interesting job. Many were approachable and there was a strong community spirit with their opposite numbers, despite rivalry on the field. Is it now more about money? One of Don's team mates, the late Martin Horton, told me he was a memory millionaire.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2017 4:18 PM BST

Chappie Vets Developed Dry Dog Food with Chicken and Wholegrain Cereal 3 kg
Chappie Vets Developed Dry Dog Food with Chicken and Wholegrain Cereal 3 kg
Offered by Pet N Pony

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this, 2 May 2016
Haven't had it long, but I'm asked to review it. Certainly my dog likes it, but then she has never refused anything and never leaves a scrap. My reservation is that when I started using it as a meal she had an upset stomach, which is very unusual for her. So now now I just add a few bits to her usual Butcher's "wet" food.

Rooney [DVD]
Rooney [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Pollock
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle humour: just what we need these days, 28 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Rooney [DVD] (DVD)
Very enjoyable film. I'm old, so qualified to appreciate it. I must admit, though, that having Muriel Pavlow and June Thorburn in the same film was what persuaded me to buy it. I remember feeling very sad when June was killed in an air crash not long afterwards. But Muriel, 94, is still with us.

Summer's Crown: The Story of Cricket's County Championship
Summer's Crown: The Story of Cricket's County Championship
by Stephen Chalke

5.0 out of 5 stars A splendid and entertaining summary, 29 Jan. 2016
I won't repeat all the glowing tributes to this excellent book (with which I agree). For those of us who have done our own research there may not be much that is unfamiliar but it's an accurate and entertaining summary. This is why it's highly recommended to people who would like to find out what the championship was like before the modern age and why it has been able to last so long, despite the lack of money available for most players and counties.

With the accent now on 20/20, the counties are just a training route for that and the Test team. As Tests decline and perhaps disappear altogether there will be no need for the championship. Then it will be interesting to see if people get bored with what's left.

No Better Friend: One Man, One Dog, and Their Incredible Story of Courage and Survival in World War II
by Robert Weintraub

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's only a dog", 4 Sept. 2015
This book made a greater impression on me than any other I've read, especially the fiction. There's a lot of sadness but I doubt if the sheer resilience and relationship of dogs and human beings have ever been better illustrated. The harrowing details of the POWs' suffering had to be related; previously, I was only vaguely aware of what they went through and glad that my father, stationed in India and Burma, never actually came up against the Japanese. This is no place for genteel censorship.
I can identify with the story because I've had five dogs of my own - and five happy and ultimately (in four cases) sad relationships. The next time someone says, "It's only a dog", point them to this book, not that they're likely to read it if they have fixed ideas.

Diary of a Disgruntled Man (Vernon Coleman's Diaries Book 1)
Diary of a Disgruntled Man (Vernon Coleman's Diaries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining oddity, 13 April 2015
Unlike others, I don't find it easy to review this book but I decided to do it on the basis of entertainment value. It can be divided into opinions, encounters and incidents.
The opinions are certainly extreme in today's context because so much has changed in the last 50 years or so. That doesn't mean he's always wrong; many of us feel the same way about much of what he says. He does a lot of ranting, though, and a lot of repetition. Also, he generalises all the time. If a section of society is one of his targets - like politicians, the media, public sector employees or short men - there's no room for any exceptions in his absolute contempt. He's had a rough ride with some of them and assumes, therefore, that they're all the same.
When he refers to his wife, "The Princess", his attitude towards women seems ambivalent. Apparently he adores The Princess and has reproduced for us a couple of long, glowing tributes. Yet he voted against the proposal that MCC should invite women to become members. If his wife, whatever her real name is, had wanted to join, presumably she would have been consigned to the Compton stand while he sat in the pavilion. Like a lot of old-fashioned men, he sees her as just a wife, not a person of equal merit.
If everything he records is true, he has more encounters and incidents in a couple of months than I've had in a (longer) lifetime. Still, there are many amusing stories and observations, even if he has made some of them up.
He doesn't like the internet or e-books, yet he has allowed many of his books to be published in this format. I find it hard to believe that most of his customers prefer to fill up a form, write a cheque, put them in an envelope that they have to address, apply an increasingly expensive postage stamp and take it to the post box, rather than just click on PayPal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2016 6:28 PM GMT

Nice Work [DVD]
Nice Work [DVD]
Dvd ~ Warren Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I remember why I wanted to see this again, 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Nice Work [DVD] (DVD)
The price has increased since I pre-ordered this, perhaps because of Christmas, but I hope it won't put people off.

Exciting plot with lots of action? No. This is about personalities in fairly ordinary situations: the factory and the university. The late Warren Clarke was as good as usual but I thought Haydn Gwynne was marvellous. I've never seen someone do so much acting with just his or her eyes. She had the right expression for every situation or piece of dialogue. She's not your conventional beauty, which makes her even more attractive. The script, written by the author of the book, gives her scope to express practically the whole range of emotions apart from one; I won't tell you what that is. Warren Clarke, on the other hand, is stuck with stress and frustration, except for a segment lasting about half an hour when he thinks he's on top of the world.

It's an excellent production, in four parts of about 55 minutes each. It's really a film lasting three and a half hours. The only quibble I have is that when Robyn (Gwynne's character) arrives at Vic's house for the first and only time she drives along the road and straight into the drive as though she did it every day.

Would the BBC make anything as good as this today? If it has, I've missed it.

Beware of watching this film just before you go to bed: Jennifer Rush singing "The Power of Love" kept me awake for a couple of hours.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2015 4:38 PM BST

Yeoman Telescopic Aluminium Anvil Lopper
Yeoman Telescopic Aluminium Anvil Lopper
Offered by British Garden Centres

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough, 21 Sept. 2014
My problem with this isn't to do with the cutting but with the control, or lack of it, of the telescopic function. The control is supposed to be at the ends of the handles - "open" or "close". Unfortunately, it doesn't lock into either position. However you set it, it loosens itself. The design at this end is appalling but it cuts well when you get the chance.
I've had two of these. The first one lost its control completely when plastic bits fell out so my present one is a replacement and no more successful.

Integral NEON USB Flash Drive
Integral NEON USB Flash Drive
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars OK so far, 11 July 2014
Have only used two of them so far, but they do the job so presumably the others will, too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4