Profile for Simon Phipps > Reviews

Content by Simon Phipps

Simon Phipps "webmink" (Southampton, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Belkin Qi Wireless Charging Pad Charger for Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge/S6/S6 Edge/Note 5 and other Qi Enabled Devices - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and gets all the little things right, 23 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have Qi pads scattered all over the house as everyone here has a Qi-enabled phone, but this is the one I keep beside my bed for night charging. It's large, doesn't make unwanted bleeping noises and has a discreet charging light. Best of all, it has a large charging area so my Nexus 6 fits on it and doesn't ned constant re-positioning to find a place where it will charge. I may get another one for my desk.

BLOOM Absolute Matcha (30g)
BLOOM Absolute Matcha (30g)

5.0 out of 5 stars Green and good, 9 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has a clean, natural and plain matcha taste in the gree tea latte I like making. The scoop fits in the jar after being removed from the label, and the jar is small and tidy. Recommended.

GICASA Commercial Single Lever Single Hole Monobloc Brass Tap, Pull Down Spring Kitchen Sink Tap, Dual Spray Control Pull Out Sink Mixer Taps
Offered by GICASA HOME

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and eventually cheerful, 5 Aug. 2016
This is a cheap choice, but as long as you get lucky it looks good installed and works well.

Our first delivery was faulty (the hot line leaked from within the unit) so we ordered a replacement unit. That one was water-tight; the plumber explained that the internals appeared to depend on screw threads alone and are probably not soldered or resin-sealed, so this internal leak probably arose from a pipe coming loose in transit or not being properly completed at manufacture. We bought at a Lightning Deal price and Amazon refused to replace the unit, insisting we had to return for a refund and buy another at full price since they were just the (Prime) agent not the seller - pretty shabby.

The unit itself is good quality and well finished metal apart from the spray head, which feels light and plastic. The tap mechanism works easily and the hose retracts far enough for us to wash the sink surround and draining area with it. We switched from chrome to brushed nickel between orders and the latter is better quality; the chrome had one or two surface defects. The kit comes complete with a reel of plumbers' tape, a crosspoint screwdriver to fix the mounting ring and a reinforcing ring to protect your sink if it doesn't have a backing board. The connecting hoses that are supplied are good quality and about 50cm each, threaded at both ends. You may need adaptors for the thread to match your mains connectors like we did.

Despite having 3 bar of pressure on hot and cold, the spray lacks the power of our previous tap but is OK for us; if we had a low pressure system I might worry about it, though. The switch on the spray head definitely feels cheap, and if I had to predict what will break in the future it's that. Fortunately the head is attached with a standard screw fitting to when it fails we can almost certainly find a replacement.

As long as you are willing to take the risks and persist with it, and have a mains-pressure water system, this is a good economy buy. It's clear where the costs have been saved but the compromises probably work out OK.

Bols Elderflower Liqueur 50 cl
Bols Elderflower Liqueur 50 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, fragrant and good, 17 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is good stuff. We have been using it with cava to make an elderflower kir, and as a splash in gin & tonic to lift the flavour. Slightly sharper fragrance than St Germain so actually worth having in addition to it (we still prefer St Germain in a martini).

BISSELL 48753 PowerGlide Lift-Off Upright Vacuum Cleaner, 1 Litre, Purple
BISSELL 48753 PowerGlide Lift-Off Upright Vacuum Cleaner, 1 Litre, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective but large, 17 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We're using it to clean our guest room during a busy period and finding it pretty good for that. Rather heavy, and not as steerable as a Dyson with a ball (which we have for the rest of the house) but very high suction and aggressive carpet brushes mean it gets the room perfectly clean. Given it is corded we've not found the lift-off cylinder anywhere near as useful as the equivalent cordless cleaner (which we have for another property) so it's not used very often. Easy to take it apart for cleaning. Construction is all plastic and has sharpish edges in places, but none of the catches appears to rely on fragile constructs so ought to work for a while. Overall, it's a bit of a beast, but it gets the job done.

Yogandha Relax Body Oil 125 ml
Yogandha Relax Body Oil 125 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fragrance, good oil, 7 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pretty good stuff. Despite the lavender content, this has a pleasantly spicy woody aroma. The oil is absorbed fairly quickly and my partner and I both like this oil for a relaxing massage. Can't say we have noticed it making sleep easier than any other massage would, though. The test of a good massage oil is whether it all gets used before it goes "off" - I think this one will.

Sugru Home Hacks Made Easy Starter Kit with Single Use Packs and Descriptive Guide in a Tin - Multi-Colour

4.0 out of 5 stars Sugru is great, nice tin, 7 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sugru is wonderful stuff - I've used it to repair bags, hold an outdoor thermometer against the window, keep furniture steady in the kitchen, fix cables where the plastic was cracking and much more. Sugru definitely gets five stars.

This kit, however, is just some packs of Sugru and a tin accompanied by a thin and superficial book. I suggest you just go buy a normal pack of Sugru and look on the Internet for ideas how to use it!

Rapesco Supaclip #60 Dispenser with 100 Stainless Steel Refill Clips
Rapesco Supaclip #60 Dispenser with 100 Stainless Steel Refill Clips

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, useful paper fasteners to rely on, 30 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using both these larger clips and the smaller variety for many years. They are a great solution for fastening sheets of paper without damaging them, unlike staples, and are much more secure than paper clips. We also use them for making special-purpose notebooks, for putting up signs (we have perspex sheets fastened to posts and clip a sheet of paper over them) and for many other things. Absolutely recommended.

[3-In-1] VicTsing USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI/ USB 3.0/ Type C Female Charger Adapter for Apple New 12 inch MacBook Laptop, Google Chromebook Pixel and other Devices with Type C Port
Offered by VICTECH

3.0 out of 5 stars HDMI Has No 4K Support, 29 Mar. 2016
Works as described, but the HDMI connection does not support 4K displays so it's not what I need for daily use so this goes in the travel bag. I got a GranVela Adapter instead for a similar price -- better build quality with its metal case, and it supports 4K so is the interface to my desk monitor.

Note that this vendor asked me to change my review, and offered me a £3 "refund" if I would change it to four stars. However, the review is accurate and my rating of "It's OK" reflects my view.

Cafédirect Fairtrade Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules Espresso Americano (Pack of 5, Total 50)

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but not obviously superior, 8 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These capsules make a decent cup of coffee, but as I've said in reviews of many others it's hard to see why I'd buy them over Nespresso originals. The capsules are plastic so I have to throw them away rather than recycle them, the fit is just OK rather than perfect (so some capsules start with water not coffee) and the price is very close to originals. Extra credit for being Fair Trade though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11