46 of 50 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great value, battery life and some brilliant features!, 30 Sept. 2011
I ordered the Kubik Roca from Biztekworld as a replacement for the Kubik Edge 2 that I accidently dropped and broke the screen.
Firstly, the delivery and customer service was excellent.
So, what's it like?
The Roca is the slimmer, sexier version of the Edge 2 with I-pod styling. The software is identical to the Edge 2 but the design is certainly a lot friendlier to use. Gone is the issue of not being able to get your fingers into the edge of the touchscreen due to the oversized framing.
- Capacity - 4GB is a great size for a good amount of music, video and images. The expansion allows a lot more scope. I have put an 8GB card in mine.
- Navigation - The file system is great with options to view files in different ways. I have always been partial to folder view and find this to be a great feature that many top price players never seem to pull off.
- Video - Converting video clips is nice and simple and the video is very watchable with good sound
- Photos - Again, convert your images to the right size and you have a slideshow in your pocket. No complaints here.
- Calculator - A great feature and better than the calculator in Windows. Really useful.
- Record - Great for recording memos or conversations that you need to refer back to.
- Battery Life - It lasts and lasts with an accurate battery level indicator.
- Equaliser - A smattering of pre-chosen settings and the ability to fine tune.
- FM Radio - As with all players with radio the reception is hit and miss and, of course, you will need to use the headphones to act as an antenna.
- Text - The complete works of Shakespeare is pre-loaded on the player. You can read it easily but it is in no way a replacement or alternative to a Kindle. Good for reading short text documents.
- Clock - The clock keeps time well providing you never let the battery completely die
- Date - Same as above
- Touch Screen - This works fine but you will probably have to get used to it's quirks. You will find you have to press a few times on occasions for a response but you can live with it.
- Customisation of Settings - Plenty of things to adjust such as LCD brightness, auto lock, touchscreen sensitivity and screen timer.
What's not very good?
- Games - The tetris game is unplayable due to poor controls. The slider game is a little better but hardly compelling
- DVR - The camera is quite poor and although it will take a a half decent clip it is not good enough quality to buy the player for this feature. Colours are drained, sound bad and the camera cannot cope with changing or low light conditions
- Camera - As above
- Bundled Headphones - Trust me, always buy your own when purchasing a budget player
- Music Player Visualisation - Not a very inspiring graphic equaliser that does not respond in time with the music.
- Expansion Memory Format - You will need to use a Mini SD card or use an adapter for your Micro SD card (minor issue as these cards are now so cheap)
What I have not tested;
- FLV Player - I did try downloading YouTube videos to play but it did not work for me. This may be my issue and not the players
Overall, this is a great music, video player for the money. It is not a replacement for an I-Pod. I would say that if you intend to buy an Mp3 player that can handle video you will not go wrong with this.
My reason for providing 5 stars is not for all features being the best but for the player living up to my expectation of a good MP3 player with long battery life and a great service from BizTekWorld