Profile for Sarahj > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Sleeper In The Sands
The Sleeper In The Sands

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiction folks! Not real life, 8 Nov. 2014
Tom Holland is a favourite historian of mine with my favourite book being Rubicon. I have had The Sleeper in the Sands for many, many years and have read it over and over again. It is a blend of history, horror and fiction. Yes FICTION! Some of the reviews have been scathing and I think that some people have gotten their wires crossed. Holland's books such as Rubicon could be described as a historical text book for students of the Classics to get a general overview; with the author writing about his field and arguing his points albeit in third person. The Sleeper in the Sands is NOT for students, it is a work of fiction that happens to centre on actual people. So if you are undecided whether to read this based on other reviews - just remember that it is a piece of fiction and not real life as some of the other reviewers seem to think!

The Oyster Catcher - a full-length romance novel
The Oyster Catcher - a full-length romance novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, heart warming romance, 9 Feb. 2014
I tried this book based on other reviews and for the bargain price. Loved it from beginning to end. The author takes you straight into the story without any boring 'scene setting'. I thought Fi was a great lead and Sean was delightful (dark haired and Irish...doesn't get any better :)). The storyline isn't too predictable and it wasn't all fluffy which was why I probably enjoyed it as much as I did. I shall definitely look out for the next book.

Corroded: Book Three of The St. Croix Chronicles
Corroded: Book Three of The St. Croix Chronicles

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic...need the next book now!, 3 Oct. 2013
Having enjoyed the first two books and the novella, I pre-ordered Corroded. It follows on the sad ending of book 2, and after a slow, but heart wrenching start,it really kicked off and was virtually non stop as you became immersed in Cherry's downward spiral of pain and revenge, and her constant need to up her opium usage. Things take a turn with Hawke, which results in betrayal, so much so that I had tears in my eyes and I really felt for Cherry. I do think though, that all is not as it seems with Hawke, but only time will tell. (I certainly hope so anyway). We also see the return of her guardian, who also isn't who he seems, but will have to wait for book 4 to find more out. I really hope it isn't too long, as Karina Cooper's writing is completely absorbing and so rich in detail (but not so it's boring), that you can imagine and feel everything. I also forgot to say that we finally get the answer of who the sweet tooth is, and I for one didn't guess who it was and was very surprised! Some questions answered, so new questions revealed!

Sophia's Secret
Sophia's Secret

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in a long time..., 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sophia's Secret (Kindle Edition)
Bored with period paranormal romances, I initially found and read The Rose Garden, also by Susanna Kearsley and fell in love with her books...
I'm so glad I chose Sophia's Secret to read next, and I found this book to be even better than The Rose Garden.
Again set in the 1700's it focuses around a young woman called Sophia, and in moderns times, with Carrie, an author who writes historical romances, who finds out that she has the genetic memories of Sophia.
Without giving anything away, this book is hauntingly beautiful. It's so romantic, but not at all gooey, and it had me in floods of tears at times. The settings are described thoroughly and whether in the past or present, you can feel that you are actually there. And then of course, there is Carrie and Sophia' handsome men. I'm definitely a Susanna Kearsley fan now, and have just downloaded Mariana, straight after finishing Sophia's Secret.

Love is Darkness: Valerie Dearborn Book 1
Love is Darkness: Valerie Dearborn Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight on to book two...it's that good!, 15 Aug. 2013
I was completely taken in by this book straight from the beginning. I loved seeing the first several years of Val's life and through different eyes and what was happening to the individual characters from first contact. I adore Jack and his love for Val is heart wrenching and vice versa; at times I had a lump in my throat and wanted to cry! Plenty of action and gore, but not excessive. A very good adult paranormal, and loved the ending so much, I jumped straight into book 2. Can definitely recommend this (and I'd go as far as saying that its wayyyyy better than Twilight :))

The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway (The St. Croix Chronicles)
The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway (The St. Croix Chronicles)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for Corroded :), 15 Aug. 2013
Thank goodness for this as was desperate for my fix of Cherry :), or is it Micajah?

This is a short novella about Cherry's beginnings, although I don't really think it expanded much on what happened to her as a child, however, I loved reading about how she became a collector and her encounters with Micajah. I found e story enjoyable and has whetted my appetite for the next book 'Corroded', which is out 23rd September! Can't wait :D

The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel (The Gisbornes Book 1)
The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel (The Gisbornes Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 5 May 2013
You can really imagine Richard Armitage here, and indeed, he was the inspiration. I actually watched the BBC Robin Hood again, and like the first time I saw it, you could see that Guy had a different side to him, and it comes through in this book. I loved the interaction of him and Cassia while he was recovering from his accident; it was funny in places a stout could imagine him scowling! The story was a delight from beginning to end. I know there is another in this series, but I don't think I'll read it. Why? Because its not centred on Guy :D

The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria Book 3)
The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the whole series, 5 May 2013
I have written reviews for the previous books, and this is the third time I have read the whole series. These books are brilliant and I loved to see Victoria grow from a slightly stroppy debutant to a well rounded woman. In this book, we finally see Sebastian choose a side (albeit he was forced to choose) and Max is going through some hard times, but we see where his heart truly lies. Read this series, you will not be disappointed!

A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters Book 1)
A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 5 May 2013
Took abit of time to get going, as there a few explanations as to certain things which I won't give away (although they are obvious). I did enjoy this book, but I have read better...I don't know why but I felt the hero was some how lacking.

Crystal Gardens: Number 1 in series (Ladies of Lantern Street)
Crystal Gardens: Number 1 in series (Ladies of Lantern Street)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2013
I love Amanda Quick books so I thought I'd try on her books written under her other name. I was too disappointed. The story features a very lovely man, Lucas and a heroine, Eve, both of whom have supernatural talents. I loved the supernatural talents that they possessed. I also loved the Crystal Gardens, and could imagine them clearly. However I didn't give this book 5 stars for a couple of reasons. While Lucas was very yummy, there was little lead up romance. Their supernatural talents allowed them to see almost straight away that they belong together, so there was not really any flirting and what-not, just more or less straight into wham bam! I prefer some lead up romancing, but it wasn't here. Although in some ways it made a change for the usual can't/won't fall in love etc...The other reasons was that everything seem to be tied up in the last 30-45mins of the book and I felt it was rushed. However, I still enjoyed it and it only took me less than two evenings to read it as I was that engrossed. The next book sounds good and I shall definitely read it, but not until the price drops!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5