Profile for Glasgow Dreamer > Reviews

Content by Glasgow Dreamer
Helpful Votes: 1941

Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
HoMedics Auto Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
HoMedics Auto Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough to be used as a guide, but not a professional instrument, 20 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this very fiddly, and awkward to get the hang of. As a layman, I didn't really know what I was doing at first, and was quite put off by the 130-page instruction page. Thankfully, only about fifteen pages of that are in English, but the instructions are written in such tiny text that I needed to make use of a magnifying glass. I do wear glasses for reading, but my prescription is up to date, and I could barely decipher much of the text.

Once set up, with the help of a younger person with better eyesight, it is quite simple to operate. Batteries are included, and the cuff fitted my average-sized male wrist with no problem. It possibly isn't quite as convenient as you would expect, as you need to relax for a few minutes, and then rest your arm on something, probably a table top, before taking the reading. The first few times I tried, I obtained wildly fluctuating readings, but I have now found that I get more constant readings, the more relaxed I am. Again, as a layman, is this defeating the purpose?

I wouldn't imagine this is accurate enough for the readings to be taken as gospel, particularly at this low price point. It certainly shouldn't be a substitute for attending a doctor or other medical professional. I wouldn't use it for self-diagnosis, but it's fine for keeping an eye on pressure levels, if that's required.

Rexel ActiVita Air Cleaner
Rexel ActiVita Air Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good effective purifier, just wish it was a little quieter, 11 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this air purifier. It is pleasing to look at, and can sit quite unobtrusively in any small space. It is simple to operate; a single press on the on/off button turns it on; a double press turns it on for eight hours, and a third press turns it off again.

It definitely does clean up the air in a decent sized room in a fairly short period of time. However, you need to bear in mind that it is the air which is being cleaned. If you have a pet's bed, for example, that will still give off its own odour. Although the purifier will deal with it while turned on, the smell will return as soon as the unit is turned off. So this is NOT a substitute for cleaning items which have developed a bit of a stink.

I have found that the purifier definitely lowers the temperature in a room, which is fine in the summer, but at the tail end of a Scottish winter, this was an unwelcome side-effect. As some other reviewers have stated, it does produce a constant humming noise. I found that could be ignored easily enough while reading or watching TV, but I don't think I would be able to fall asleep through it.

I'm perfectly happy with it, and would have given five stars if it had been just a little quieter while in action.

WD M.2 250 GB Internal Solid State Drive - Blue
WD M.2 250 GB Internal Solid State Drive - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Really noticeable improvement in boot-up and access times., 9 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I am not particulary tech-savvy and didn't have the confidence to instal this myself, I asked a more competent friend to assist, and to be honest, he pretty much did everything. It didn't seem to be a particularly complicated process.

My operating system (Windows 10) is now on the SSD and the PC boots from there. This has resulted in my start-up time reducing from around 1 min 45 seconds, down to around 40 seconds. I hope that is down to the superior speed of the SSD, but, from memory, booting up from any clean drive is always a fair bit faster. My 1 minute 45 seconds time was certainly significantly less three years ago, when my PC was new. I have been assured that, by keeping this drive for the operating system and Microsoft Office only, this faster boot-up time should be the norm from now on, as should the generally faster access times I've been experiencing.

I'm sure the next PC I buy wil have SSD as default, but in the meantime, I am grateful for the improved boot-up and faster access times this offers.

AmazonBasics Microfiber cloths for Electronics, 6 pack
AmazonBasics Microfiber cloths for Electronics, 6 pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Their uses are rather limited by their small size., 28 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are perfectly acceptable microfiber cloths. They are rather on the small side, only around six inches by seven, and they are therefore quite suitable for smaller items, such as spectacles or mobile phone screens. Although, I'm sure they would work on larger screens, their size means they are not ergonomically suited for such tasks - you would need a larger cloth to be able to cover such items comfortably.

Typical of Amazon Basic products, they come in quite minimal packaging. It is a nice touch that each one has its own small plastic pouch. I'll quite happily use these, but when the time comes to replace them, I'll probably buy a larger size..

Gaviscon Peppermint Tablets, Pack of 48
Gaviscon Peppermint Tablets, Pack of 48

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of the strong flavour, or the consistency, but they do work., 28 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a middle-aged man with a reasonably unhealthy diet (I do try, honest), I often suffer from indigestion and heartburn. I have used Gaviscon products for a number of years now. My preferred remedy is the liquid form, which I find acts quickly and effectively, and doesn't have an unpleasant aftertaste.

However, it's not always practical to carry a bottle of the liquid everywhere you go, so these tablets are a welcome alternative. I have used a few already, and found that they are quite effective, but not as fast-acting as the liquid. These are chewable, and have quite a strong peppermint taste to them. Despite what some other reviewers have stated, there IS a chalky consistency to the tablets when they are chewed, and I found the combination of the strong peppermint taste and the chalkiness to be quite unpleasant.

However, they are not sweets; they have a medicinal purpose, and as such they were perfectly adequate. I have used more pleasant-tasting tablets in the past, and I may not buy any more of this particular product.

BIC Technolight Highlighter Pens - Assorted (Pack of 5)
BIC Technolight Highlighter Pens - Assorted (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Only three of the colours are suitable for highlighting., 25 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These pens are OK, nothing more. They are narrower than most highlighting pens, including the most poopular ones, so can be used better for more accurate highlighting, for example, when you would want to highlight one line of text only, rather than one line, plus the surrounding area.

I do find some of the colours to be pretty insipid, particularly the blue and green, which really are not as strong and bright as you would expect from a highlighting pen. The other three are perfectly acceptable, and I would be inclined to purchase these individually, rather than to buy a full set, when two of the pens would get little or no use.

To sum up, three out of five pens fit the bill, so they get three out of five stars.

Swiss Army Man [DVD] [2017]
Swiss Army Man [DVD] [2017]
Dvd ~ Paul Dano

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather slight; some funny moments, but more uncomfortable ones., 15 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Swiss Army Man [DVD] [2017] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a slightly confusing movie. At the beginning, you may be prepared to take it at face value; a guy stranded on a desert island comes across a corpse washed up on the beach. From then on, a literal interpretation is not possible, and I felt that much of the rest of the movie was rather telegraphed. Without wanting to give any spoilers, it quickly became clear that we were dealing with someone not in full possession of his faculties. The majority of the movie featured only the interaction between the two lead characters, and that did swing between light-hearted humour, awkwardness, tastelessness, and the downright disturbing.

The last ten minutes or so don't really tie up the loose ends very well, probably because it was unclear whether we were then viewing events as outsiders, or through the eyes of the principal character. As such, I felt rather disappointed. I think the movie maybe tried to do too much in a little over ninety minutes, and didn't really succeed in doing anything very well. Was it a comedy? Or a psychological drama?

Overall, I had probably expected something a little more engaging. I probably won't watch it again.

Ultratec, Samsung Galaxy S7, Red (Rot), ( EU)
Ultratec, Samsung Galaxy S7, Red (Rot), ( EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly decent case, a little heavy., 7 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this is obviously (on first glance) not real leather, it is not tacky or cheap-looking. I don't find the colour too bright or over-powering, and it makes a change, for me anyway, from plain black cases of a similar design.

The phone fits neatly into its place, with the indents and holes lining up just as they should, and it is simple to use all the phone's functions while it is in the case. As most cases of similar design do, this case has three credit card-sized storage slots, and a larger storage compartment suitable for a couple of banknotes at most - it wouldn't really be a practical wallet substitute.

The compartment which holds the phone is held in place in the case by a pretty strong magnet, This is apparently so it can be removed for inductive charging; that may be handy for some, but I'm still charging using a cable. The only downside of this case concerns that magnet, as it has the effect of virtually doubling the weight of the case. This case weighs 130g. My previous one weighed 67g!

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone who uses, or plans to use, inductive charging.

Teach Yourself Visually iPad (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
Teach Yourself Visually iPad (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
by Guy Hart-Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow; all that you'll need, 4 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone familiar with the ‘Teach Yourself Visually’ series will be immediately at ease with the design, layout and conventions used in the book's composition. As too will the newcomer because it is so intuitive it’s difficult to suggest any improvements. After an initial browse they’ll be able to select an item from the manual and follow the step-by-step instructions to complete a given task.

Whether you are knowedgeable in iPads or not, this book starts with the absolute beginner and over twelve chapters works its way through everything you’d possibly want to use it for, ending the book with a chapter on troubleshooting. Not everyone uses every aspect of their iPad so even the experienced user is sure to find many features new to them.

Each task takes typically two pages and a quick count shows there to be one hundred and thirty-seven separate tasks over the twelve chapters.

The colour graphics are to the usual standard expected of the Visually tutorials and of course the paper and overall print quality are top notch. These are matters that make it far superior in its production to other tutorials.

There isn't much in the way of suggestions, advice or opinion from the author as there simply isn't any room for it in this tutorial. It is strictly a guide to be followed step-by-step without deviation to achieve the goal of each task.

If you'd prefer comment or discussion on the merits of an iPad over other devices, or say the reasoning behind security procedures you'll have to look elsewhere because you'll not find it here. But that is not a bad thing. There's absolutely no space for author waffle. Each task opens with a brief introduction and concludes with a tip or tips related to the task and that is the extent on any discussion on the topic.

Now in its 5th Edition, this volume covers IOS 10 so for the moment at least it’s bang up to date. If you know anyone who got an iPad for their Christmas, then this is what you get them for their birthday.

Rapesco 825 2-Hole Metal Punch, 25 sheet Capacity - Green
Rapesco 825 2-Hole Metal Punch, 25 sheet Capacity - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'll need in a small (ish) basic hole puch., 16 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't realise that I did not own a hole punch, until I went looking for one recently. Coming up empty, I had a quick look at Rapesco's quite extensive range, and settled on this one.

I'm glad that I did. It's a decent size, not so small that it would be too fragile, but suitably robust, while not being so large that it gets in the way. The colour isn't quite as bright as it seems in the photos, but, that too is probably a plus, as it is quite inoffensive, yet easily seen, even in a cluttered drawer. It certainly performed its task perfectly well; my sheets of paper now have perfect punch-holes in them.

While it is a nice simple piece of equipment, it has a couple of useful features, an adjustable paper guide, to make sure your holes are in the same position on repeated uses; and a "lock" which fixes the handle in the depressed position, meaning it takes up a little less storage space.

It's not something I'll use every day, but it is a handy thing to own, and I am totally satisfied with this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20