Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Ed Sheeran on Amazon Music Shop now Shop now
Profile for Glasgow Dreamer > Reviews

Content by Glasgow Dreamer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 927
Helpful Votes: 1901

Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rapesco 825 2-Hole Metal Punch, 25 sheet Capacity - Green
Rapesco 825 2-Hole Metal Punch, 25 sheet Capacity - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'll need in a small (ish) basic hole puch., 16 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't realise that I did not own a hole punch, until I went looking for one recently. Coming up empty, I had a quick look at Rapesco's quite extensive range, and settled on this one.

I'm glad that I did. It's a decent size, not so small that it would be too fragile, but suitably robust, while not being so large that it gets in the way. The colour isn't quite as bright as it seems in the photos, but, that too is probably a plus, as it is quite inoffensive, yet easily seen, even in a cluttered drawer. It certainly performed its task perfectly well; my sheets of paper now have perfect punch-holes in them.

While it is a nice simple piece of equipment, it has a couple of useful features, an adjustable paper guide, to make sure your holes are in the same position on repeated uses; and a "lock" which fixes the handle in the depressed position, meaning it takes up a little less storage space.

It's not something I'll use every day, but it is a handy thing to own, and I am totally satisfied with this one.

Ultratec smartphone protective cover for Samsung Galaxy S7 in synthetic leather, with stand function and inner compartments, green

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough cover, colour was possibly a mistake., 16 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is not a great deal to say about this. It's a perfectly serviceable protective cover, and my Samsung S7 fits into it perfectly well. The soft plastic of the inner casing takes the phone quite easily, and gives the impression that it would be more durable than some of the harder plastics used in other models, which can often crack when inserting or removing the phone.

Choosing this colour was possibly a mistake; it is a little sickly looking. As I'm using this on my "work" phone, it doesn't really matter too much, as I don't use that phone nearly as often, and won't generally have it with me in social situations.

Overall, I'm perfectly happy with it, but I would choose a different colour next time.

L'Oreal Elvive Phytoclear Shampoo Greasy 500ml
L'Oreal Elvive Phytoclear Shampoo Greasy 500ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly gives positive results, 14 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have now used this shampoo almost daily for a week or so, and I am quite satisfied with it.

It's unusual to have a shampoo which deals effectively with both dandruff and greasy hair, but so far, this has done the trick. I occasionally suffer from light dandruff, and have generally found that my hair becomes quite greasy when i use an anti-dandruff shampoo. However, that is certainly not the case with this product, If I have a criticism, it would be that the shampoo does not lather up as well as most do, so at first I was a little unsure whether I had covered my whole scalp, but it does leave my hair looking healthy and dandruff-free, so it must be doing its job. .

I would certainly buy this product again.

Triplast 48 mm x 66 m Handle with Care Printed Low Noise Parcel Packing Tape (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, decent price. Does the job well., 11 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good strong tape, with its message easily readable, as it isprinted in a bold red on the white background of the tape. I have used it for sealing a number of small-medium sized parcels, and it has coped with this somewhat limited task perfectly well. I found it quite easy to apply evenly (which can be tricky with some cheaper tapes), and it didn't rip in unexpected ways. I am confident that it will prove strong enough to withstand the British postal system, which, despite all the jokes, performs excellently in the vast majority of cases.

The price is quite fair. At the time of this review it's a little over £2.00 per roll. You can buy similar tape in "pound shops", but it won't be of similar quality, and there probably won't be 66 metres to a roll. I'm quite impressed, and I'm sure I'll come back for more.

Oczy Mlody
Oczy Mlody

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed. Typical Flaming Lips album, 14 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Oczy Mlody (MP3 Download)
After only a few seconds listening to the opening track, you will recognise this as a Flaming Lips album. Although this, the title track,is rather low-key, and almost totally instrumental, it fits perfectly with the Lips' output, certainly post Soft Bulletin (1999).

The album as a whole is quite restrained, with many of the tracks being quite dreamy in nature, with trademark "out-there" lyrics, and crazy song titles - "One Night While Hunting For Faeries And Witches And Wizards To Kill", "Listening To The Frogs With Demon Eyes" etc,, and three with titles wholly or partly in Polish.

It's a lovely album to have playing in the background; the first nine tracks wll just wash over you. If there is an issue with the album, it could be the similarity in mood and tempo of these first tracks, many of which are largely instrumental, with the vocals quite low down in the mix, although they are interrupted with bursts of voice-over and novelty vocals. Personally,I find it very pleasant and quite relaxing.

The mood and pace pick up a little with track 10, "The Castle", which is the first track I can envisage becoming a part of their spectacular live shows. It has a more standard structure, and has that arms-swaying, community singalong feel, which the Lips do so well. The final track, "We A Family", is by some way the best track on the album; another crowd-pleasing singalong, this one benefits from an excellent vocal contribution from Miley Cyrus.

This album hasn't had a great reception from the music press. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I have been a fan of everything Wayne Coyne has done for at least the last twenty years. Perhaps it won't attract very many new fans; existing fans will love it, and I would urge anyone still a little unsure to give it a go.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2017 6:38 PM GMT

Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Electric Toothbrush - Black Edition 3rd Generation (UK 2-pin bathroom plug)

4.0 out of 5 stars One or two "teething" problems; hopefully will be OK, 9 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Braun Oral B products for a number of years, and I had assumed that there would be little difference between Oral B and Philips Sonicare.

When I received this, it was immediately clear that this was a higher quality item than the Brauns I had been using. I don't know if that is because this is a near-top-of-the-range model, or if this is the case throughout the product range. It comes in a neat case whch can carry the toothbruch and two brush heads (although only one is provided). A nice touch is that the brush can be charged while inside the case, as there is a USB connection on the outside of the case. Also included is the USB cable, plus a charging station, which can double up as a stand for the brush while it is not in use.

I was instantly surprised by the intensityof the sensation when I first switched the unit on and put the brush into my mouth. I had been accustomed to the gentle movements of the Braun brush-heads, and was quite unprepared for such intensity. To be honest, on the first few occasions I used the brush, I could not withstand more than about thirty seconds or so. It felt ridiculously "ticklish", but I have now become more tolerant, and can complete the cleaning cycle.

There are five different cleaning regimes, which are selected by pressing the on-off button for the required number of times. However, the brush starts up as soon as the button is pressed once. This presents a problem if you wish to use one of the other settings, as the vibration is so intense that it throws the toothpaste off the brush head before you have a chance to put it in your mouth and start cleaning. You can put it in your mouth before switching it on, but then you can't check whether you have selected the correct setting. a two or three second delay in the brush starting up would avoid this problem.

I am perfectly happy with the clean I get from this brush, and I do intend to persevere with it. If I can get past the "ticklish" sensation, and the problem with toothpaste flying off the brush, I'm sure I'll become a fan.

PARKER Urban British Collection Ballpoint Pen Gift Box and Pouch Set, Premium Matte Black (1978327)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly decent set; is that enough?, 9 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very stylish set. The pen and the leather-look pouch sit neatly in a rather plush box with magnetic fastening.

The pen itself is obviously of a high quality. It has a lacquered black finish to it, so has a very shiny appearance. I have found that this stays even during use; fingerprints do not seem to dull it too much. It is comfortable to hold, quite a bit heavier than most similar pens, but not too heavy to be immediately uncomfortable. However, I did find my hand and wrist tired when I had been writing for only an hour or so, whereas I regularly write for three or four hours using a lighter pen, with no tiring at all.

The pouch is a pretty nondescript grey colour, with a burgundy coloured interior, which the manufacturers seem quite excited about, going by the "blurb" on the Amazon page, and there is room inside for the pen, plus one other. If you want a pouch for your pen, this will be perfectly adequate.

Overall, A perfectly decent set, which I would be delighted to receive as a gift, which is probably how it is intended. Personally, I have little use for the pouch, so I would probably seek out a slighly better pen, if I was spending this amount of money.

Rotary Men's Automatic Watch with Silver Dial Analogue Display and Brown Leather Strap GS00657/06

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch, "automatic" function seems rather limited., 2 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very smart looking watch, with a reasonably plain face with gold detail and a clearly legible date window. It has a dark brown leather strap, and overall, it looks the part.

However, this is, allegedly, an "automatic" watch, yet I find it needs a full wind up at least every 24 hours, otherwise it stops. This is rather impractical if it is not your only watch, as it will always require setting and winding every time you put it on, if it has been any significant length of time since it was last worn. I knew this would be the case, but I certainly expected more than 24 hours, on a full wind.

I would also caution would-be buyers on the price, which has been fluctuating wildly. In the ten days or so I have had the watch, it has changed price on a number of occasions, seeming to yo-yo between what Amazon state is the RRP, and a figure considerably less than half of that amount. If the price is currently at, or close to, the RRP, I would save it for later in your basket, and check back until the price has lowered again.

Parker Urban Fountain Pen, Vibrant Magenta with Medium Nib and Blue Ink Refill, 1931607

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, but is it really a fountain pen?, 13 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this pen. It feels comfortable in my hand, and well balanced, and it writes very smoothly, without any ink build-up on the nib, or any blotting. There is still something rather grand about writing with a pen with a "real" nib, and you do get the impression that you should be keeping it aside for IMPORTANT things, but there really isn't any reason why this should not be your everyday pen.

So why only four stars? As far as I am concerned, this isn't a true fountain pen. It's a cartridge pen, which to the school-age me, was the fountain pen's little brother, for use by children. A fountain pen should have a refillable reservoir, with a lever on the barrel to compress the reservoir, and suck more ink into it, and it should use real ink, from a bottle. That's my personal opinion - you may disagree. I do still enjoy writing with this pen, and would recommend it, if you're in the market for something along these lines.

Blue & Lonesome (Digi Pack)
Blue & Lonesome (Digi Pack)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing outstanding, but perfectly pleasant., 2 Dec. 2016
This is the Stones' new album, and, as I am sure you are all aware, it is a collection of 12 blues covers, recorded in three days in December 2015.

It sounds perfectly pleasant, and definitely more "blues-y" than any other Stones album, at least since the mid sixties. But it's not a blues album. The Stones are doing just what they did in these early days - adapting blues standards to make them more palatable to a wider audience. They do this perfectly well, and it is undoubtedly a labour of love.

A casual listener probably won't be familiar with many (if any) of the tracks, and, individually, they do stand up to scrutiny pretty well. There's a little bit of playing-by-numbers evident on some tracks, and perhaps the whole thing becomes a little repetitive towards the end (those familiar with their version of "Little Red Rooster" will notice this). The highlights for me were "Blue and Lonesome", "I Gotta Go", and "Just Like I Treat You".

Overall, it's an enjoyable, if rather insubstantail album. Worthwhile, or simply self-indulgent? I'm not sure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20