Profile for J.Flood > Reviews

Content by J.Flood

J.Flood (Dublin,Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Wanted Man: (Jack Reacher 17)
A Wanted Man: (Jack Reacher 17)
by Lee Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but far from the best., 14 Sept. 2012
While hitch-hiking late at night on a rural Nebraska road, Jack Reacher, is picked up by a car containing three occupants, two men and a woman. As they progress on their journey, they start to encounter police road blocks, and Reacher begins to wonder if all is as it seems, with regard to the people he is sharing the car with.

I particularly enjoyed the first few hundred pages of this novel. I thought it was the best part of the story. Reacher is trying to figure out who his fellow passengers really are, at the same time, a sheriff and FBI agent are trying to piece together, the events surrounding a murder in a small Nebraska town.

As the novel progressed though, I felt the story became less intriguing, and did not hold my interest quite as much. Overall, as thrillers go, it is not too bad, and is worthy of four stars (just about!!) but as Reacher novels go it was quite poor.

New York
New York
by Edward Rutherfurd

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment., 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: New York (Paperback)
New York, the novel, tells the story of that city from its beginnings, as a Dutch settlement in the 1600s, up to the modern day. I looked forward to reading this book, having previously read, London, by the same author, which I found a fascinating read. However, I did not find this novel as good as his previous one.

The momentous events in the history of New York, are all in this book, which I found interesting, and I learned a lot of new information, about the city and its people down through the centuries. However, I found the characterisation a bit repetitive and two-dimensional, and I think this is this book's biggest let down.

1222: (Hanne Wilhelmsen 8) (Hanne Wilhelmsen Series)
1222: (Hanne Wilhelmsen 8) (Hanne Wilhelmsen Series)
by Anne Holt

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 10 Aug. 2012
This book had all the hallmarks of a great thriller. A train crash, a snow storm, the survivors being couped up in a remote hotel, and of course, a killer among their number. However, it turned out to be something of a damp squib!

All of the characters come across as two-dimensional, and with the exception of the main protagonist, we don't learn much about them. The survivors seem to just plod aimlessly around the hotel, and there is not much sense of tension, in the story, despite the survivors being aware that there is a murderer on the loose. I came away disappointed after reading this book. It was not what I expected at all.

Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1
Now You See Me: Lacey Flint Series, Book 1
by Sharon Bolton

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, 30 July 2012
A modern day Jack The Ripper is murdering women in a brutal manner. Detective Sargent Lacey Flint is at the scene of the first murder in a London car park, and just misses the killer. As a result of this, and due to her knowledge of the original 'Ripper' , she becomes part of the investigating team.

I was hooked on this story from the start. The characterisation is very good, and the plot held my interest throughout, with some very tense moments. There are some good twists in the story, also, and I had a few `did I just read that' moments., while reading the book. As police procedurals go, this one is better than most. I would have to say that this is the best book that I have read so far, by this author.

Crescent Dawn: Dirk Pitt #21 (The Dirk Pitt Adventures)
Crescent Dawn: Dirk Pitt #21 (The Dirk Pitt Adventures)
by Clive Cussler

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull!, 13 July 2012
In this outing Dirk Pitt et al., are up against a rich brother and sister from Turkey, who are ruthlessly attempting to set up a new Ottoman empire. As Clive Cussler novels go, I felt this one was a bit slow moving and I also felt the whole premise of the story was a bit far fetched, even by this author's standards. The action did pick up towards the end, but the novel had 'lost' me by then. Not one of the better ones in the series.

Never Knowing
Never Knowing
by Chevy Stevens

3.0 out of 5 stars A good thriller., 3 July 2012
This review is from: Never Knowing (Paperback)
Thirty four year old, Sara Gallagher was adopted as a young child. She decides it is time that see tried to trace her real parents. She tracks down her birth mother fairly easily, as she lives a few hours drive away on the same Canadian west coast island as Sara lives on. However, when Sara meets her mother, the woman wants nothing to do with her. As Sara digs deeper she finds out why. Her father is a notorious serial killer who is still on the loose!

When I was reading the jacket of this book, I was wondering if it would be worth reading, as after all, we know who the 'bad guy' is. However, I found the story enjoyable and at times quite exciting. The characterisation is good, and there is at least one good twist in it. Certainly worth a look.

Die With Me
Die With Me

4.0 out of 5 stars A good police procedural thriller., 14 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Die With Me (Kindle Edition)
A teenager is found dead, in a suburban London church. At first it assumed that she commited suicide by throwing herself off the church's high balcony. However, as the death is investigated further, it appears that she may have been pushed. It is then discovered that other teenagers have recently died under similiar circumstances.

This book held my interest from the start. As police procedurals go, I thought that is was better than most. It reminded me a bit of the 'Tom Thorne' series of novels. I cottoned on as to who the killer was with around a third of the book still to go, but still found the ending full of suspense.

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
by Ken Follett

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start to the series., 12 Jun. 2012
Fall of Giants is the first book in the 'Century' trilogy. The story covers the tumultuous period, between the years 1914 - 1924. The story centres around a large cast of characters, located in Britain, Germany, Russia and the U.S.A. The characters come from all walks of life, rich and poor. All events of the time are covered, such as World War I, votes for women, and the Russian Revolution, to name a few.

Overall, I found the book an enjoyable read, but with such a large cast of characters, none of them can be fully 'fleshed' out. Having said that I don't know which characters could be left out! I feel this book is not quite as good as the Pillars Of The Earth, or World Without End, also by this author, but I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

What Lies Beneath
What Lies Beneath
by Sarah Rayne

3.0 out of 5 stars A good thriller., 15 May 2012
This review is from: What Lies Beneath (Paperback)
The village of Priors Bramley was closed off fifty years ago, due to a military experiment being conducted, in the area. On the day it was closed off, three children from the neighbouring town decided to visit the village for one last time, leading to serious repercussions. In the present day, the village has now been declared safe, and is about to be reopened. However, one of the former children would prefer the town to stayed closed, and secrets to remain buried.

As others have mentioned, this novel is not quite as creepy as some of this author's other works, but it certanly has some very eerie moments. The story skips between events of one hundred years ago, events from fifty years ago, and the present day. It kept my interest throughout, but I found the parts of the book set in current times, the least believeable.

Ghosting
Ghosting
by David Poyer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting thriller!, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Ghosting (Mass Market Paperback)
Neurosurgeon, Jack Scales takes his family on a yachting trip from New York to the Bahamas, which he hopes will bring his family together. The trip gets off to a bad start, as a dead stowaway is found onboard, and then the yacht gets caught in a storm. However, the family's plight gets a lot worse when they pick up a man found adrift in a small boat.

There is barely a dull moment in the story, and I found it an exciting read, with plenty of suspense. There were a shocks in the storyline were I thought, 'Did I just read that?'! Well worth a look, if you like fast thrillers!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20