Profile for Matthew Richardson > Reviews

Content by Matthew Richardson

Matthew Richardson "raferjanders" (Shepperton)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Proxima Estacion Esperanza
Proxima Estacion Esperanza

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album but BEWARE do not buy the MP3 version, 2 Sept. 2013
I foolishly downloaded the mp3 version of this excellent album and instantly regretted it when I discovered that a key track "Me Gustas Tu" does not appear. Amazon say it is not their fault but there is no warning.Also, it costs over a pound more!

RockTape Endurance Tape (Navy Blue, 2 inches X 16.4')
RockTape Endurance Tape (Navy Blue, 2 inches X 16.4')
Offered by TK Logistics

5.0 out of 5 stars It sticks!, 22 July 2013
Having tried the original Kinesio tape which was great and really helped my runner's knee problem, this Rocktape is simply better because it sticks for longer. The price is about the same too.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation [DVD]
How I Spent My Summer Vacation [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Doing what he does best, 5 May 2013
I watched this film with a great deal of anticipation and although it wasn't first rate, it reminded me just how much I'd missed Mel Gibson. In spite of his personal woes, he still has that star quality so lacking in some of today's so-called stars. He has a good range but Mad wise-cracking Mel is always a safe bet. This deserved to be so much bigger than it was and certainly would have been if it weren't for the recent problems Mel Gibson has had. It's easy to kick a man when he's down but let's remember what made him so damn watchable in the first place.

The film itself reminded me of Way of the Gun in its tone, in other words it was quite violent and perhaps because I'm growing older now, this has less appeal than it perhaps used to. Yes, it could have been better and yes, there were echoes of Payback, which was a superior, if equally violent film. It was entertaining though and more than anything it was vintage Gibson. Welcome back, Mel and keep them coming!

Kilimanjaro: Deluxe Edition
Kilimanjaro: Deluxe Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh so ethereal, 27 July 2010
I came across Kilimanjaro back in the early 90's having been vaguely aware of Julian Cope. Imagine my surprise when this glorious racket invaded my ears and took up residence. Each song, a friend once told me, sounds like it begins or ends the album and I agree since they all have a sense of drama. There are no fillers here. All filled with Cope's lunacy of course but with a fine pop sensibility.

Tracks like Reward, Treason and Sleeping Gas are just so slick. It is a minor classic, it is seminal, pure pop perfection and it doesn't sound dated. Yes it shares kinship with the Bunnymen in terms of its sound but it demonstrates its pop aspirations way before the Bunnymen (who were also brilliant). There are influences in there but I feel it sounds quite original for the time. Great title, great cover (better than the previous release) and awesome music.

The extras are not bad. I had some of them on the Piano collection. The alternative version of Books is actually better than the album version.

Museum piece? Not really. It's just great British pop music. Apart from Fried, Cope never bettered it in my humble opinion.

Honolulu Suncream
Honolulu Suncream

5.0 out of 5 stars Luton Town's finest, 27 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Honolulu Suncream (MP3 Download)
What can I say about the K.Os that hasn't already been said. Genre benders, sonic adventurers of the most elegant kind. It's not just their smart stage wear and nod to the French avant-garde. These guys can "rock out". Link Wray possessed by organ-wielding daleks. Attack boys! Attack!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2010 3:20 PM BST

The Fair Essex
The Fair Essex
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars essex forever!, 12 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Fair Essex (Audio CD)
This is an excellent record steeped in atmosphere. It evokes a bygone age and yet sounds very fresh. Kind of like the wicker man soundtrack crossed with Portuguese group Madredeus. Plus my brother produced it!

Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007]
Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars not a bad film, 28 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I must say I disagree with the review by Austen Acolyte "feminist fineyes". I will state my case as one who cannot stand Jane Austen and her novels. For me her novels were the Soap Operas of her time, lacking any depth whatsoever. She was trite and smug and couldn't create a decent male character to save her life. I hated studying Pride and Prejudice at school as I found it to be the most overrated work I had ever read. I was taken along to watch this film under suffrance but found myself enjoying it as a film.

I felt it was a well-made film with good atmosphere despite its obvious artistic license taken with Jane Austen's life. Ann Hathaway was not great but adequate enough and for me portrayed her in a way that fit my mental image of Austen. James McAvoy was rather good too, giving a very watchable performance.

Taken as a film in its own right as opposed to a historical account of Austen's life it works well. I don't know enough about Austen to comment on its accuracy but really is that the point of the film or any film for that fact. It's more about telling a story and entertaining an audience (as Austen attempted to do).

Lisbon....Live [Us Import]
Lisbon....Live [Us Import]
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 7 Jun. 2007
I cannot hype this group enough and have liked them for many years. You've heard nothing quite like it's blend of opera and folk music which evokes a rustic pastoral atmosphere tinged with sophistication. The voice of Teresa Salgueiro is sublime and the musicianship outstanding.

Also, being a live concert, the real flavour of their music emerges and the atmosphere it conjures is magical. This is genuinely haunting music resonating with the sound Portugal. It's very affecting stuff...so if you have a thoughtful and reflective character and plenty of soul...this is for you.

A Diva from Bahia - The Definitive Collection
A Diva from Bahia - The Definitive Collection
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars Uma fada Brasiliera, 11 Aug. 2006
This is a great collection of songs spanning 3 decades and drifting in and out of a variety of styles. Gal has a wonderfully evocative voice and rarely here does she disappoint. Most of the songs here are superb, jazz funk, tropicalia 60's psychadelic ballads, but some are a little too carnival but hey she's Brazilian so that's allowed.

This is very esoteric stuff on the whole but If you have eclectic and broad tastes it's well worth the cash spent on it, for her beautiful voice alone.

Cold Roses
Cold Roses

5.0 out of 5 stars Like an old shoe, 11 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Cold Roses (Audio CD)
I think this is Adams' best record. It was rather ambitious and well a bit "oh really" of him to put out three records in a year when this stunner would have sufficed.

The musicianship is exemplary and his voice one of the best in the business, full of ache and longing. Meadowlake street really tugs at the old salt water. It's a beautiful album, with a country tinge without really being too country, a crime he is guilty of on follow-up Jacksonville City Nights which just sounds like red-neck hillbilly cracker sonsabitches having a heehaw at their local barn.

Cold Roses though should be more widely known as it is much more genuine than Gold. It shows Adams' strengths as a song-writer and it reinforces all the hype that surrounded him.

Brilliant stuff Ryan, please can we have more like this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3