Profile for Eduardo Santamaria > Reviews

Content by Eduardo Santamaria

Eduardo Santamaria (Valencia, Spain)

Life & Death of the Spanish Republic: A Witness to the Spanish Civil War
Life & Death of the Spanish Republic: A Witness to the Spanish Civil War
by Henry Buckley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for your money., 29 May 2014
It's easy to read this book but unfortunately Buckley took part. He tried to explain the spanish politics with british point of view and it does not work. To be honest I prefer the books of Hugh Thomas or Antony Beevor.

The Scramble for Africa
The Scramble for Africa
by Thomas Pakenham

2.0 out of 5 stars Too difficult to read, 7 Jan. 2010
In my opinion the book is a bit difficult to read, It is mainly focus in Britain and you can not find to much information about other european nations (Spain, Portugal, Italy). It is difficult to find a conexion between the chapters and sometimes the author is jumping from one decade to another. I would be prefer to follow a lineal history of the Africa's colonization.

I started to read it but I was not able to finish it. I think the book is difficult to diggest.

The Unfree French: Life Under the Occupation
The Unfree French: Life Under the Occupation
by Richard Vinen

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book about the France's occupation, 5 Jan. 2010
In my opinion this book is a good introduction about the German ocupation in France. It explain briefly several aspects of this ocupation, colaboration, resistance and the living during these dark years. I have a lot of books about the Second World War and this one was the first that I bought about the Ocupation, it is not the best but If you want a general review of this issue I will recomend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2017 6:10 PM GMT

The Resistance: The French Fight Against the Nazis
The Resistance: The French Fight Against the Nazis
by Matthew Cobb

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book to read, 28 Dec. 2009
Nice book, well writting and easy to read. Sometimes it is difficult to follow the names and the different goups that resist the Germans and the Vichy goverment in both Frances. In general the author give us a good portrait of the Resitance in France from 1940 to 1944.It is quite amazing How many few people resite at the beggining the german ocupation and the false image that gave us France herself about her recent history and country liberate herself acoording to General De Gaulle.

France: The Dark Years, 1940-1944
France: The Dark Years, 1940-1944
by Julian Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 28 Dec. 2009
A fanstastic book about a periode of the French history not so much well review. I think that the author explain very well the precedents of the Vichy regime and give us an idea about the creation of the Resitance.He gives also an image of France during this period.

I strongly recommend this book, I enjoyed every page of it and it was really amusing.It's worth every pound I pay for it