Profile for J. S. Hardman > Reviews

Content by J. S. Hardman

J. S. Hardman (Near London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but I returned to using a competitor product, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I trialed McAfee Total Protection 2014, as well as another of the McAfee 2014 range, when the competitor product I had installed was expiring. I found McAfee used more CPU than the competitor product, so after trying McAfee I went back to using the competitor product again. McAfee gets good reviews, and it didn't cause any problems other than the slightly CPU hit.

McAfee Internet Security  2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC)
McAfee Internet Security  2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC)

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I obtained McAfee Internet Security 2014 as a replacement for a competitor's product that was expiring. Whilst McAfee does get good reviews, I found this version used more CPU than the competitor product, so after trialing McAfee, I renewed (actually bought again as it was cheaper than renewing) the competitor product instead. Whilst I am less familiar with McAfee, so there could have been configuration options that may have improved things, but if so I did not find them.

Windows 8.1 Simplified
Windows 8.1 Simplified
by Paul McFedries

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick intro to Windows 8.1, useful for experienced Windows users as well as less experienced, 11 July 2016
This review is from: Windows 8.1 Simplified (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used "Microsoft Windows 8.1 Simplified" as a quick intro when I updated a machine to Windows 8.1 . As an experienced software developer, I wanted to find my way around Windows 8.1 quickly, find out the useful shortcuts, and find out what had changed since Windows 7, so that I could build Windows 8.1 compatible software quickly.

This book did the job I needed it to do.

15 x Plugmate Plug Removers (3 packs of 5)
15 x Plugmate Plug Removers (3 packs of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, not just for those with limited strength in their hands, 17 May 2016
Simple but effective. Ideal both for anybody who has limited strength in their hands, or simply for anybody who frequently has to plug and un-plug devices regularly or in awkward to reach places. I've bought two packs of these now - some I use in my office where I work with multiple mobile devices, constantly having to put different ones on charge, some we use around the home, and some I have given to elderly relatives and neighbours who struggle with plugs.

Recommended.

Medium Garden 60L Litre Galvanised Incinerator Fire Burning Bin Ideal for Burning Rubbish / Documents / Branches / Wood
Offered by S&MC Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical for small gardens subject to caveat about durability, 17 May 2016
We don't have anywhere suitable in our garden for a bonfire, so this medium sized incinerator is good (see caveat below) for burning small stuff in a confined space (i.e. not near the LPG tanks).

For burning paperwork that would normally go in the household shredder, it's good and far more fun than sitting at a shredder.
For garden stuff, it's too small to be particularly practical for us. Plus, most of the garden stuff that isn't compostable either goes through a mulcher or goes into the wheelie bin for recycling. So it's a few twigs or dried up brambles, along with paperwork.

The incinerator stands on metal legs, so we use it on paving without causing any damage. The number of air holes is good for keeping air flowing through, and providing fascination as jets of flame shoot out in different directions. However, there is one big negative - durability. In about 1.5 years, and having been used 15-20 times, the lid has self-destructed. It was visibly deteriorating long before that, but it's now at a point where flames shoot through the lid at places they should not.

Nimrod
Nimrod

5.0 out of 5 stars A great rendition of Nimrod, which we played at service for ex-navy relative, 16 May 2016
This review is from: Nimrod (MP3 Download)
When organising music for a cremation service for an ex-navy relative, we chose Nimrod as the music to play in the background as everybody came in to be seated. It's great music anyway, but perfect for this particular scenario. Many compliments afterwards about how good the music was.

Gardman A01158 Universal Squirrel Baffle with Hook
Gardman A01158 Universal Squirrel Baffle with Hook
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% success so far on stopping furry critters, 16 May 2016
I now have three of these baffles, using them above hanging feeders to stop squirrels, rats and mice getting at the bird food. So far, these Gardman baffles have been 100% successful. From long experience, I have no doubt that the squirrels will eventually work out how to bypass them. I used to use a similar product years ago - the squirrels worked out that if they slid down the side, they could usually catch hold of globe shaped feeders as they fell, swing themselves up, and then munch happily). However, they haven't managed that yet with these Gardman baffles, so fingers crossed that the devious blighters don't read this review.

Gamsy Genuine Leather Up-Down Open Flip Case Pouch Cover Holder for Apple iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung GALAXY S2, S3, S4, S5, Samsung GALAXY Note2, Note3 (Apple iPhone 5C, Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty colour, but good protection., 16 May 2016
I wanted a horrible gawdy colour, so that if I drop my phone whilst gardening, I'll be able to see it in the undergrowth. This definitely meets that need.

I've dropped my phone whilst in this case a few times, including knocking it off the upstairs banister, dropping about 15 feet before impact. Case and phone still intact.

Recommended.

RSPB 15-inch Classic Seed Feeder
RSPB 15-inch Classic Seed Feeder

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended., 16 May 2016
Very flimsy - not to the standard of other RSPB products I have bought in the past. The squirrels destroyed one of the green perches within 4 days. Even with a (admittedly cheap) squirrel baffle over the top, the second perch was destroyed within a couple of weeks.

Will be replacing with something more expensive - with metal perches that cannot be chewed through.

Not recommended.

Squirrel Baffle
Squirrel Baffle
Offered by Betterware Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended., 16 May 2016
This review is from: Squirrel Baffle (Misc.)
Doesn't stop squirrels. They just hang down from whatever the feeder is hanging from, push one side of the cone until it is near vertical and get to the bird food below. They have to stretch, but it took them less than 4 days to work out how to do it, and destroy the feeder below.

As it doesn't "baffle" the squirrels, it is not fit for purpose. Not recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20