Profile for Caroline > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Slinky Malinki
Slinky Malinki

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read aloud, 7 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Slinky Malinki (Kindle Edition)
I love all the Hairy McClary and Slinky Malinki books. The illustrations are lovely and I like the vocabulary used - they are a joy to read aloud! My son and I particularly enjoyed this one, especially when poor old Slinky got tangled up in all his stolen goods. If you like Slinky Malinki I'd strongly recommend getting 'Early Bird', 'Open the Door' and 'Cat Flaps' as well.

Salty - Crash and Repair - Trackmaster Revolution
Salty - Crash and Repair - Trackmaster Revolution
Offered by scificollectorshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun, 7 Feb. 2017
I ordered Crash & Repair Thomas for Christmas from Amazon.com and my three and a half year old son loved it so much that he decided to spend his Christmas money on a Crash & Repair Salty. He absolutely loves this Salty, and it might have been a bit more than I would normally be willing to pay for a Thomas train but the joy he has got out of it means it has been worth every penny.

The train itself works very well and doesn't tend to shake itself lose when going round the track. The only issue with it is that the boulder sits so loosely on the track that it doesn't always cause a crash. This is easily dealt with by placing it by a join in the track - and to be honest most of the time he is crashing into other trains!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 7 Feb. 2017
After receiving a Huion H610 Pro for Christmas I decided to order the H58L to use in work. This is my second full day using it.

First up, just like the H610 Pro, the sensitivity and accuracy are excellent and it works just as well.The driver is fine and I have mapped the buttons to the shortcuts I use most with no difficulties. I'm currently using two monitors and it had no problem with that after I'd unchecked the 'tablet PC' box.

The pen is fine, and fingers-crossed a bit sturdier than some reviews I've read suggest given that I've dropped it twice already. It's fine so far! It is a bit heavier than the rechargeable one, but not annoyingly so. It doesn't feel overly cheap, the buttons click nicely.

The only negative things I can say about it is that it does attract dust a bit and due to my set up the lead plugging into the top rather than the left hand side would be more convenient. Overall I'm very pleased and it seems very good value for money.

Huion H610 Pro Graphics Drawing Pen Tablet with Hot Keys Compatible with Windows Mac
Offered by HUION

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value., 2 Feb. 2017
I received this for Christmas, so have been using it for just over a month so far and I'm very pleased. As part of my job I have to produce newsletters and flyers and over the years I have tried to build up my skills until late last year I bought a vector art program and started to learn to use it quite intensively. I quickly realised that a mouse wasn't best suited to some of what I was trying to do and started to look at graphics tablets having always thought before that they were too expensive for my level of skill.

I quickly discovered Huion and after reading many reviews decided on the H610 Pro.

As recommended, I downloaded the most recent drivers from the website and they installed fine, and I've had no problems remapping the buttons to suit the software I use.

The tablet itself feels of reasonable quality and looks nice, the pen is fine and I haven't needed to charge it again since Christmas Day. In use it is responsive and precise and has worked perfectly with GIMP, Photoshop and Affinity Designer. I like using it so much that I've also ordered a H58L to use in work. So far I would happily recommend this to anyone looking for a reasonably priced graphics tablet.

Clariel: Prequel to the internationally bestselling fantasy series (The Old Kingdom)
by Garth Nix

3.0 out of 5 stars Less engaging but more interesting, 6 Jan. 2015
I bought this having enjoyed the original Old Kingdom books but without knowing much about it beyond it being a prequel - and with very little memory of who Clariel became - so I had little in the way of expectations.

Clariel is a less sympathetic character than Sabriel or Lirael and complains constantly, but she is more complex than Sabriel in that as the story develops her motives are far more mixed and conflicted so overall while I found the book less engaging than its predecessors in some ways it's more interesting.

The overarching theme of the book is responsibility and what happens when it is ignored. On the larger scale of the whole Kingdom the King, the Abhorsen and most of their heirs all refuse to fulfill their responsibilities, while on a smaller scale within Clariel's immediate family her parents fail to know her or understand her and try to push her into being somebody she quite clearly isn't. Her relationship with her mother makes for particularly painful reading as you find out just how alike they are - and as you find out more about the pair of them some of Clariel's more annoying behavior is explained.

But while if any one of those around her had acted as they should her fate would most likely have been very different ultimately Clariel made her choice - and made it again sometime between the end of this book and when we see her again. For me it's not a problem that we don't see this, I think it's probably more interesting to see how somebody set out on this path at the beginning and the why's are all here.

I'm giving it three stars but 3.5 would probably be more accurate, with the original books getting 4.

Doctor Who: Harvest of Time
Doctor Who: Harvest of Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who & Alastair Reynolds - A good combination!, 5 Jan. 2015
I like Doctor Who. I like Alastair Reynolds. What could be better than combining the two? Well maybe having it be about a Doctor I'm more familiar with - I very vaguely remember Tom Baker (ok, I remember a long scarf and being upset when he 'died'), so really Peter Davison is 'my' Doctor.

The writing was instantly recognisable as Reynolds so I was sure I would enjoy it from that point of view, and I was right. Despite only knowing the third Doctor from "The Three Doctors" and "The Five Doctors" from that limited knowledge he seems to have been captured well, I heard all his lines in his voice, which is a good sign, and the same for the Master where I definitely saw him as Delgado rather than Ainley.

Overall it was a very enjoyable read and linked in with the new series as well - if anything I wish it had been a bit longer.

Disraeli Avenue
Disraeli Avenue

4.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting Disraeli Avenue, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Disraeli Avenue (Kindle Edition)
I've read a number of books by Caroline Smailes now, and 'In Search of Adam' isn't one where I thought I would want to revisit the characters or location. But she did so I did and I have to say I think she is a marvelous author. She writes characters I care about, characters I hate and sometimes characters I should hate because of what they've done but that I still feel sympathy for - there is also no shying away from difficult subjects, and one part of this book I found particularly difficult to read.

The Zoo Father
The Zoo Father

5.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read that is well worth it, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Zoo Father (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure saying 'I love it' is right but it definitely deserves its 5 stars. This isn't a book you love, it puts you through an emotional wringer while leaving you amazed at the beauty of some of the imagery. A difficult read that is well worth it.

LEGO DUPLO Creative Tower
LEGO DUPLO Creative Tower
Offered by Bargain Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars A big box of Duplo!, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: LEGO DUPLO Creative Tower (Toy)
What can I say? It's a big box of Duplo and I think my husband and I have had as much fun playing with it as our toddler has! There are a good range of shapes/sizes and colours as well as some faces. You can make some great animals, both real and imaginary and along with the prince and princess faces tell stories, or can just build tall fantastic towers then demolish them. What's not to love?

Amazon Kindle Voyage Origami Case, Royal purple
Amazon Kindle Voyage Origami Case, Royal purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns out this is just what I wanted..., 5 Jan. 2015
When I started looking for a case for my new Kindle Voyage I was dubious about the origami case. I wanted a case that looked like a book, why on earth would I want a case that can be used as a stand? That's not how I read my Kindle 3, or my Kobo mini.

Then I stopped and thought of all the times I'm at my desk in work having lunch, want to read while I eat and have to find something to prop my e-reader up against. So it turns out that this is just what I need!

The Kindle fits neatly and securely into the case, which adds little weight or bulk to the device, it feels nice to hold. I like that it wakes the Kindle on opening, and, yes, I like the stand and find it works perfectly.

I ordered the Royal hoping that it would be purple like the picture and wouldn't turn out to be royal blue, and am pleased that in this case at least, the colour shown on my monitor is the colour I got.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2015 8:35 AM GMT