Profile for pargypu > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, 27 Jan. 2015
Been wanting to read this for ages and when I finally started I wasn't impressed. The main character isn't really likeable. The big reveal at 25% in put me off (I thought it was a bit ridiculous!) and I just didn't finish it - stopped at about 35% through. Really wish I hadn't wasted my money.

An Abundance of Katherines
An Abundance of Katherines

4.0 out of 5 stars Love me some John Green, 19 Jun. 2014
I'm slowly making my way through the John Green collection and this one made me laugh loads. Very different to TFIOS and Looking for Alaska, but a good, quick, funny read.

Silver Bay
Silver Bay

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Silver Bay (Kindle Edition)
This was the third JoJo Moyes book I read and it simply doesn't compare to Me Before You or The Last Letter From Your Lover - I couldn't connect with the characters and the plot was quite dragged out, this book could be half the size it currently is! I struggled to finish it and ended up skimming the pages because it became so tiresome!

Soulful House
Soulful House
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now!! Great cd, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Soulful House (Audio CD)
I'd only heard of a few of the tracks before buying, so was initially unsure. But this cd has become a staple in my life, plus great value for money - 35 songs for under a tenner!

Slammed
Slammed

4.0 out of 5 stars Raced through this, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Slammed (Kindle Edition)
Such an easy easy read. I've been struggling to get into anything for the past few weeks but I raced through this in a couple of days. I was hooked on the characters and their bittersweet interactions. It's young adult reading but I think it dealt with topics such as death, responsibility and love with swirling emotions in a good way. Thoroughly enjoyed!

Dragon Bound (Elder Races Book 1)
Dragon Bound (Elder Races Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 9 Oct. 2012
This was another of my holiday reads and I raced through it. It's so easy to read and get through and it's also action packed. Dragos is one heck of a hot dragon and the intensity between him and Pia is hot hot hot!!! I love paranormal stories and Thea did not disappoint with this one!

The only niggly thing I have about the book is the happy families ending, I don't want to give any spoilers but this annoyed me a little.

A World Without Heroes (Beyonders)
A World Without Heroes (Beyonders)
by Brandon Mull

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in my mid-20's & loved it!, 9 Oct. 2012
Once I started reading this I honestly couldn't put it down. It's adventurous, something is always happening, you turn a corner there's action, turn another, have some more! It is a young adults book but it kept me very entertained on holiday and I intend on reading the next book immediately. It's a pretty meaty book too and I liked the weird elements such as there being a Blind King, or being swallowed by a hippopotamus, random men living in cliffs by the sea, people who can take apart their bodies and put them back together again. So random, it really enabled my imagination!

Give it a go if you're a Tolkien fan and like supernatural elements in a book. This is the first I've read of Brandon Mull but I'd like to give the Fablehaven series a go too.

Another Dawn
Another Dawn

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, bland, nothing happens!, 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Another Dawn (Kindle Edition)
I liked the concept of the book but I was disappointed! The main character was great, but the storyline is semi-predictable and the other characters in the book did nothing for my imagination. I would have loved more exploration into the main characters past, for example, why was he raised by his grandparents and not his real parents? What happened to them? Why did the execution room take them back in time?

I became quickly bored and frustrated with this book, but still read it to the end, but pretty much skim read through the last half. Don't waste your time unless you want a mindless book to read.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy 1): Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy: Book One

3.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 9 Oct. 2012
Being completely honest, I'd give this book a 3.5. I was drawn into it at the beginning and was intrigued to find out who the mysterious Akira was, however once the characters meet and Akira's character is fully in view, I lost a tiny bit of interest and stopped and started the book over a number of days.

I did enjoyed the start and the story you begin to read quickly turns around from a carefree (somewhat teen fiction) introduction to something more sinister - What are these handprints that are appearing on the gateways to another dimension full of chimera?!

I liked that the setting was in Prague, as it's something different. Also, the souk in Morocco was very well described. My favorite scene in the book was a masked procession, if this scene wasn't ion the book I don't think I would have liked it as much!

The writing is great, lots of dialogue and description and I liked how the author splits into a more flashback sequence of events in the last quarter of the book. I don't see though, how much else can come from this story, I think it's more of a scene setter and build up for the next one in the trilogy...

The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical and enjoyable, 7 Sept. 2012
I wasn't sure if I would like this book but I really enjoyed it. It was written beautifully, lots of description and very engaging with the reader making you feel like you're at the circus and a part of their enchanted world.

I loved the characters, and descriptions of this fantastical circus. I would love to see a film adaptation of this, as my imagination was excitedly overwhelmed by extraordinary imagery. I took my time reading this but the last quarter of the book I raced through...you feel a big climax approaching and I couldn't devour it fast enough!

One thing about the kindle edition, as the chapters flit between time periods I found this difficult to navigate as I could never remember which year I'd just been reading about!

Page: 1 | 2