Profile for StarFishSwimmy > Reviews

Content by StarFishSwimmy

StarFishSwimmy

Interview With The Vampire: Number 1 in series (Vampire Chronicles)
Interview With The Vampire: Number 1 in series (Vampire Chronicles)
by Anne Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Always The Best, 23 Jan. 2014
All I can say about this book is this: 'The Original and Best'. Astounding, deeply moving, excellent.
Thank you Anne Rice.
J*

Dragonlance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawnin (TSR Fantasy)
by Margaret Weis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Books!, 17 Dec. 2013
I started reading the Dragon Lance novels over ten years ago and immediately loved them! Full of adventure, fun, emotion, fantastical beasts and magic - all great for escapism, perfect! I loved all the novels by Weis and Hickman and thusly I wasn't quite sure where to write this review so I chose this compendium to cover a few :).

I tend to think of the Dragon Lance novels as a mix between epic fantasy (like Tolkien) and Terry Pratchett because for me the books are funny (but not as funny as Terry Pratchett, nor meant to be) but serious and moving as well. I like the big array of different characters in these novels too.

Great fun, well worth a read if you like adventure fantasy. Currently looking forward to reading Dragons of the High Lord Skies.

Thanks, Weis & Hickman :)

A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones
A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones
by George R.R. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Fantasy, 22 Nov. 2013
I really wanted to join the masses in liking this new 'epic fantasy' series. What, another Tolkien? Yippee! Very sadly not :(.

I started the book and embarked upon a miserable journey from the light into the darkness. Honestly I found it so depressing and so sexually disturbing (is incest really what everybody wants?) I began to feel physically sick. I could not get past the fourth chapter. I remember loving the novel Flowers in the Attic - but this left me equally disturbed, as if the author enjoys torturing their character creations.

Now, had I gone into the historical fiction section and purchased this book - then yes I would be much better prepared to accept what was coming. This book is not fantasy but much more suited to the realm of historical fiction, perhaps even amongst Arthurian Legend - but I retract that because Arthurian legend tends to be more inspiring, promoting high ideals, chivalry and respect of women (generally speaking).

Throwing in a couple of Dragons barely gets it into the fantasy section - why is it not in the historical fantasy section? Where is that key element so important to fantasy - MAGIC?? SO far I have found NO magic in this book. Sadly this series continues to dominate the epic fantasy section. The smaller writers barely get a look in anymore.

These books immediately reminded of The Tudor TV series - vying for thrones and power, conniving, back stabbing, sex and violence etc... Characters of few moral values to which one can aspire to. Do not expect to loose yourself in a magical world when you buy this book. Make sure you have some comedy to watch afterwards, lol.

I thought the book deserved a two star and not a one star because... because... I dunno I'm looking forward to the TV series now I know what to expect (historical fiction). I liked The Tudors, so I'll probably like this. It's not the author that's bad and it wouldn't be nearly so bad if it just didnt dominate the fantasy genre.

My first bad review, I feel bad now. I guess it's cause I yearn for the light...

J*

Dawnthief: Chronicles of the Raven 1 (The Chronicles of the Raven)
Dawnthief: Chronicles of the Raven 1 (The Chronicles of the Raven)
by James Barclay

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and engaging, 20 Nov. 2013
I have to say I bought this because it spoke about ravens. Sadly no ravens in this book but it is about a band of men available for hire, called the Raven, and their adventures together. Thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced and exciting novel. I found it well-written and a cleverly executed plot. It is also emotional and very moving.

There are Dragons and magic and humour and emotion. No it is not depressing either - a real thumbs up for those of us that like to escape into a better inspirational fantasy world.

I personally have a preference for female main characters in fantasy books because they are so rare (and rarely done well), such as those found in the Mists of Avalon. A drawback for me is that the women in this book are immediately linked with children or evil. Or described as "small-breasted and built for speed". I didn't find an equivalent male description, such as "tight-buttocked and built for strength" - but clearly that might change the tone of the book.

Though not quite the Red Sonja I was looking for :D I really enjoyed this book, a great addition to fantasy - hence the five stars, and I am just about to purchase the kindle version of the next book: 'Noonshade'.

The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
by Robert Jordan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Epic Fantasy Book, 18 Oct. 2013
I read this book, and the next four in the series, several years ago but even now I still think about it. I love fantasy, particularly epic fantasy, and this book is that. Great characters and great escapism into another wonderful magical world. Thank you Robert Jordan

I have given this book five stars, because it is great, but for the series as a whole I would give four because after the first few excellent books I got a bit tired with more characters and no conclusion, it felt like the books were becoming a little bit re-written - a feeling shared by many Robert Jordan fans that I have spoken to. But then that is just my own feeling and perhaps it is correct that the Wheel of Time never stops turning.

That aside this book is well worth a read. :)

The Mists of Avalon
The Mists of Avalon
by Marion Zimmer Bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars The most inspiring book I have ever read., 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Mists of Avalon (Paperback)
I haven't written many reviews anywhere but wanted to start writing some and thought I would start with one of the most influential books I have ever read.

I read this book over a decade ago and it changed my life. I have never read something so inspiring and uplifting and hope-provoking, for women in particular and the world in general. I read it again a short time later and then recently bought the hardback. I read adult fantasy and though this is not strictly my kind of high fantasy I was glad to come across it.

Phew what a breath of fresh air. Female characters that actually reflect female people I know, female people that might have been, and a history, as sad as it is, that may have come to pass. And also religion with a goddess. Truly different, thank you.

It continues to be an inspiration in my life and I hope that one day my books will carry the torch of higher ideals that Marion Zimmer Bradley ignited. I wish I could thank you in person. Rest in peace MZB.