Profile for jessdrums > Reviews

jessdrums

Axis: Bold as Love 200 gram MONO ltd. edition [VINYL]
Axis: Bold as Love 200 gram MONO ltd. edition [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Axis Bold As Love 200grm Mono re issue., 16 Jun. 2012
I've become something of a mono obsessive recently and have discovered that many of the classic albums I have been a fan of over the years sound so good in mono, with that rich punchy sound and not that silly and rather naff extreme panning that you get on stereo albums of the same era. Bit by bit I've been hunting down mono versions of some of my favourite old albums. I've bid on Jimi Hedrix's Axis album a few times and the price always soars way beyond my budget, a good copy typically going for around 200 odd quid. I recently gave up on trying to get an original mono copy and bought this Mono reissue instead, it still wasn't cheap and when I read the blurb on the inside sleeve I was initially a bit dissapointed to discover that this version is actually a new mono mix and therefore different to the original that I was after. Having said that, it does also state that this new mono version has been prepaired using all analogue and vintage mixing and mastering equipment and has been personally mixed by Hendrix's top engineer man Eddie Kramer. Once I actually played the record I wasn't dissapointed, it has vivid sound quality and a really punchy in your face kick to it plus loads of bottom end, I thought it sounded pretty cool.
Anyone who has read up on and listened to this album will know that Hendrix invested quite a bit of time into the stereo mix of this outstanding album back in 1967, he utillised swirling sound effects moving from one speaker to another, (EXP for example), aswell as phasing on the drums, (Bold as love), which also moves from left to right and right to left, making it one of the better examples of a stereo mix on a classic album from this time. Bearing that in mind, I think I still prefer this mono version even though a mono mix means those effects are lost. I'm not sure how similar or different this new version is from the original mono, but in it's own right this is certainley a very fine sounding record. The only thing that I was dissapointed by, is that the sleeve notes claim that this reissue features the original artwork, it does have the Track records logo on the label, but there is no orange lyric sheet like the original pressings and the lyrics are instead printed on the gatefold sleeve, where as the original albums gatefold featured a cool black and white band portrait which I think they should have replicated here, especially as it's an expensive purchase. I paid £60.00 for my copy and I've seen them online for much more than that, I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two cheaper than what I paid aswell, but that was a while ago. I'm not sure if it's really worth paying too much for reissues. Hope this helps and happy listening.....Jess.