Profile for alcoblog > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Draper 51845 60-100 mm Piston Ring Compressor
Draper 51845 60-100 mm Piston Ring Compressor

5.0 out of 5 stars Top tool!, 21 Feb. 2017
Brilliant tool! So brilliant in fact that I've only used it twice, over a period of about two minutes, for popping my pistons back where they belong in my Citroen 2cv rebuild. Not a negative comment on this tool, now back in it's box, in a cupboard, probably not to be used for a couple of years or so. Excellent value even so.

Citroen 2 Cylinder, 2CV Ami and Dyane 1967-90 Owner's Workshop Manual (Service & repair manuals)
by Ian Coomber

2.0 out of 5 stars it'll probably come in more useful when I get to the enginey bits, 18 Aug. 2016
Sorry, but only two stars. I only wanted the manual to find out about a couple of things and they weren't in (later discovered on Google). I don't regret buying it though, it'll probably come in more useful when I get to the enginey bits.

Generic 14.4V Ni-MH 3000mAh Battery for Bosch PSR 14.4 BAT040 2 607 335 275
Generic 14.4V Ni-MH 3000mAh Battery for Bosch PSR 14.4 BAT040 2 607 335 275

5.0 out of 5 stars Well happy with this, 9 Aug. 2016
Well happy with this. The previous two (original) batteries that came with my Bosch cordless had lost their capacity to hold a charge for any length of time (lack of usage?). The PowerTech one is more powerful anyway. Delivery was excellent next day and the price is excellent too!
I may well buy another one.

Sealey HRP002 Hog Ring Pliers (Pistol Grip) Kit With Rapid VR16 Standard Fence Hog Rings

5.0 out of 5 stars although the pliers work brilliantly! Excellent product that seems very nicely made, 24 Jun. 2016
Never heard of hog ring pliers until I bought a Citroen 2CV. Why do I need them? ... the seats that I'm refurbishing in it are originally fitted together using these fastenings (among others) and I wanted to replicate it having put an awful amount of time getting everything else right upholstery wise.
I've only done practice hog ringing at the mo due to awaiting the new seat covers, although the pliers work brilliantly! Excellent product that seems very nicely made.
The delivery of these was bang on and will be using the same company for further orders. Thank you. :-)

Frame Company Eldridge Range 1-Piece 8 x 6-inch Picture Photo Frames, Gold
Frame Company Eldridge Range 1-Piece 8 x 6-inch Picture Photo Frames, Gold

3.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention to given dimensions!, 1 April 2016
A very nice frame which I can't really fault.
Normally though, when I order a frame from my local framers, the given sizes are for the opening, not the overall external dimensions! As such, the frame was useless for my needs.
If the frame had been the expected size I would've given five stars.
Hopefully, this review will prevent anyone else making the same mistake. Maybe the manufacturer could take heed too.

A Laugh Out Loud Murder Mystery- Peacock's Tale
A Laugh Out Loud Murder Mystery- Peacock's Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down (until I'd finished it), 27 Jan. 2016
I liked the idea of a real crime writer being involved in the plot, so bought it out of idle curiosity.
The plot is really well thought out to the point that I was still reading whilst the kindle was undergoing emergency re-charge on the kitchen table (next to the microwave).
Cleverly written and funny, it kept me guessing right up to the end, mainly thrown by the phone's location and ensuing confusion on my behalf.
Great book.

1Q84: Books 1 and 2
1Q84: Books 1 and 2

1.0 out of 5 stars ThanQ for nothing, 31 Dec. 2015
My rating would obviously be two stars in kQndle, which certainly would be a more advisable world in which to read (or write, for that matter) it, although, alas, search as I did, I could find no metal emergency ladder leading down off Sheffield's Parkway to facilitate such a venture. In this world, one star's more than generous.

The first bit's okay, about 100 pages. Nothing happens in the next hundred, closely followed by nothing yet again in the next hundred. Significantly nothing happens in the next either, or the hundred after.
All of a sudden, on about page 650, something does happen ... it finishes ... leaving the weary, bad tempered reader in the lurch. You then have to trudge through book 3 to find out what eventually happens (spoiler alert ... nothing).

I ended up hating Tengo and Aomame, secretly hoping that a heavy air crysalis (maybe containing a woven elephant) would fall out of a tree onto their heads, rendering them both to a state of deceaciture, and thus ending the total boredom.
Bad, bad, bad.

1Q84: Book 3 (2Q84)
1Q84: Book 3 (2Q84)

2.0 out of 5 stars And it continues ..., 9 Dec. 2015
I felt obliged to read this after trudging through the first two, hoping beyond hope that something interesting may happen.
Not a lot as it transpires, and certainly not enough to fill close to 500 pages.
I like the general idea of all three books, but jeez ... it's so drawn out! The beginning of book 3 is okay, the middle bit (most of it) tedious, and the end happens disappointingly.
I may try another Murakami, but I get the impression I may regret it. Sad, but true.
Having written the above, thanks to Murakami, I'm now on with Proust's 'In search of lost time' (which would appear to be even longer than all three of the aforementioned!)

Ten Years in an Open Necked Shirt
Ten Years in an Open Necked Shirt

5.0 out of 5 stars Eminently toned-down (comment), 7 Sept. 2015
The bloody book is bloody brill
it bloody gave me such a thrill
JCC's bloody well rehearsed
in writing bloody clever verse.
(though if he's reading this it's bloody rubbish)

Soldier Girl
Soldier Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Soldier Girl (MP3 Download)
Yet another brilliant track by the Spree. :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3