Profile for John H McAleely > Reviews

Content by John H McAleely

John H McAleely

Belkin Docking Station Connecting Up to 8 Devices with 1 m Thunderbolt Cable for PC, Mac, MacBook and Ultrabook (Dock with 3 USB 3.0, Audio Jack, HDMI, Ethernet, Dual Displays 4K Cinema) - Aluminium

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Aug. 2015
This works just as I expected, and makes using my Air on the desktop much more pleasant.

Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard - Black, UK Layout
Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard - Black, UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory for iPad, 11 Aug. 2015
This is a great tool to keep near my iPad. It suits me much better than a combo keyboard and case that I always have to carry.

The keyboard has a great feel while typing.

AmazonBasics Wall Charger with USB Outlet (2.1 Amp Output)
AmazonBasics Wall Charger with USB Outlet (2.1 Amp Output)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Jun. 2015
Works very well as a power supply for my Raspberry Pi 2

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 1.8 m / 6 Feet - White (Compatible with iPhone 5 to 6, iPad Air / iPad mini / mini 2 / iPad 4th gen., iPod nano 7th gen.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Jun. 2015
What's not to like? Cheaper than Apple branded, and still colour co-ordinated!

Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot
Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot

5.0 out of 5 stars A dose of the romance of flying. I'm used ..., 12 May 2015
A dose of the romance of flying. I'm used to reading about that kind of experience from history, but this is bang up to date.

Denial: My 25 Years Without a Soul (Kindle Single)
Denial: My 25 Years Without a Soul (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Aug. 2014
A well written memoir, that spoke to me about my experience growing up gay, and coming out.

The Times Literary Supplement
The Times Literary Supplement

3.0 out of 5 stars All the text survives, 11 Dec. 2013
Amended to reflect the more recent experience. As others note, this edition is still garbled. Clearly the TLS don't elect to proof this in any way, and it is pretty tedious to wade through errors clearly made by the automation producing this product.

That said, I still prefer this edition to the paper one for the reason that it is always in stock, and the essence of the writing survives. I imagine that if it were a joy to read I might become a subscriber.

As I write, the edition generally has all of the issues text. Pictures are omitted, poetry formatting can be hit and miss (although the latter is perhaps hard on a screen with variable font sizes), and from time to time gremlins strike and render text unpleasant as noted elsewhere.

That said, the great articles, reviews and essays are all here, and (best of all) it's always in stock on the kindle store. I don't subscribe, but I do buy an issue whenever I'm in the mood for the reading. Before the kindle edition, this was subject to the vagaries of finding the TLS in stock. Now I can buy whenever I want.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2015 6:35 PM GMT

Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable introduction to computers, 19 May 2013
This is the introductory text I would have wanted to read about computers. It takes a clear, practical, approach, building from first principles.

I really got a sense of how to build a computer from the technology of the telegraph, until the sheer number of parts became apparent. It is easy to see how crucial transistors and IC's are to making a practical computer.

I also enjoyed the sections on software - a great way to bring both hardware and software together. Would be a good read for someone learning the theory behind an Arduino, for example.

Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager
Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager
by Michael Lopp

5.0 out of 5 stars Software Management by someone who's done some, 19 May 2013
There aren't many texts about software management, and this is a good one. For this European, I have to filter for a certain amount of American cultural references, but that doesn't obscure the message.

Mostly a collection of essays published as Rands In Repose on a blog, I enjoyed reading them as a group.

Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case for Google Nexus 10 Black (With Auto Sleep/Wake Function)(3 Year Warranty by Poetic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, designed for Nexus 10, 28 Jan. 2013
This case was clearly designed specifically for the Nexus 10. It is a snug fit, and the design allows the lid to fold and form a stand.

The magnetic closure sleep/wake feature is handy and works without any setup. The case holds the nexus in place without obscuring the speakers - which is thoughtful.

Not 5 stars because the fit and finish were a little rough. Fine for the price though (compare with ones for other tablets that cost twice as much)