Profile for Mr. Thomas L. Bromley > Reviews

Content by Mr. Thomas L. ...

Mr. Thomas L. Bromley (England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Deslondes
The Deslondes

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Debut, 10 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Deslondes (Audio CD)
Probably the most infectious debut I have heard since last years debut from The Rails although obviously pursuing different musical territory. with each member of this band being songwriters and therefore bringing different dynamics to the table hopefully this group will be around for a while. St Louisiana seems to be producing some great music with people like Pokey Lafarge and Hurray for The Riff Raff (who a couple of the deslondes were in for awhile) proving the area is musically in safe hands.

I am pretty confident most people that hear this record will like it, and I look forward to their next record after a confident promising debut.

Something In The Water
Something In The Water

5.0 out of 5 stars Ill have what Pokeys having, 29 May 2015
This review is from: Something In The Water (Audio CD)
Not sure how your other reviewer can give this album 5 stars and then say it's not as good as Pokey's previous efforts, but they are right in proclaiming that these songs will work well as part of Pokey's live set. Pokey and his band are extraordinary live.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a weak song on this record (unless old time music doesn't float your boat) but I also think it shows the worth of expanding his band although some will claim change is good.

I think its extraordinary good record but with some surprises.

Dark Bird is Home
Dark Bird is Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Bird doesnt stray too close for comfort, 11 May 2015
This review is from: Dark Bird is Home (Audio CD)
I think it was hinted on the last record that the Tallest man was moving away from his starting point but to be perfectly honest that is what I would expect from one of the best songwriters out there, I never expected him to play it safe. The record still caught me by surprise though and as with music that challenge the listener it took a couple of plays to warm to.

While the album does see Kristian Matsson with a backing band it's still full of gentle acoustic backing, it's not like he has done a Dylan and completely left his roots behind him, it is still for me a pretty folk influenced record but as with "There's no leaving now" it sees him establishing more of his own identity and for me because he hasnt played it safe his fans should reward it with repeated listens.

It's difficult to pick highlights out from this album because once you have dealt with TMOE need to change, I think this record is as strong as his others and the 10 songs on it show that while the dark bird has flown he didnt fly too far from home.

The best way of getting past any doubt that Kristian isnt a major songwriting force is to play "Dark Bird Is Home" in the car- I think even the wife liked it.

Seeing the man in Bexhill in October.

Short Movie
Short Movie

5.0 out of 5 stars This should do well at the Box office, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Short Movie (Audio CD)
I've followed Laura right from beginning of her career when I saw her at Hopfarm just as she was about to release her second album "I speak because I can" here we are on her fifth album and while I haven't had the pleasure of seeing her live since then every album gets a regularly listen on my ipod.

Some compare her to Joni Mitchell but I find her more like a female Dylan, of course she has a voice that can melt your heart but she never stands still musically regardless of whether her fans like her or not. This album will challenge people as with every Laura Marling album and it will also be universally praised like the rest of them.

You could maybe take one point off for using the f word in one song Don't Let me Bring You Down but the quality of the rest of her songs means we can paper over those cracks. Some of the songs may not be immediate but songs like "I Walk Alone" or the title track are standout from the off. At 25 Laura Marling is already a phenomenal talent.

Little Neon Limelight
Little Neon Limelight

4.0 out of 5 stars Houndmouth, terrible name but they deserve the limelight., 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Little Neon Limelight (Audio CD)
Apart from listening to music that is mainly obscure (You wont hear much music that involves playing instruments on the radio) I also apparently listen to bands with terrible names (Iron and Wine, Deer Tick) and I may continue this with this band. Music often creeps up on you, and the first Houndmouth album didn't do anything for me when it was recommended to me. I bought this album based on listening to the first five songs off a npr music stream and revisited the first album which I seemed to listen to with new ears.

If you like The Band this is music in that kind of vein but with a female singer involved, then this will float your boat. A band that are on my musical radar after I ignored them. I will probably edit this review when I get through the whole album but I think it will stay positive.

Seth Avett & Jessica Lea Mayfield Sing Elliott Smith
Seth Avett & Jessica Lea Mayfield Sing Elliott Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A stepping stone to an unappreciated artist (by me anyway), 16 Mar. 2015
Firstly I have always struggled with the music of say Elliott Smith or Nick Drake, I think its because the clues to their untimely ends is pretty evident in the mood of the music they produced which is extremely thoughtful and moving but also melancholy and fragile which seems to reflect their personalities (hence they are both no longer with us) and I feel that this is mood music your stick it on and in the right frame of mind itll be relaxed brilliance in another time you will want something upbeat,

I love the Avett Brothers so I am interested in everything Seth does, not really got the fuss over Jessica Lea Mayfield myself though I think her voice blends perfectly with Seth's and they do Elliott's work justice.

The only reason I give this three stars is because like I said for me I have to be in the mood for this, Elliott Smith is someone I am getting my head around and while some of his fans will think these two covering his songs is a travesty, if it leads more people to understand Elliott's music isn't that a good thing? and for me this is an easier route than I found listening to Elliott Smith initially, and I shall devote more time to him.

Now let's bring on a new Avett Brothers album!!!!!

Archive Series Volume No. 1
Archive Series Volume No. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Tranquil, subtle beauty, 23 Feb. 2015
Sam Beam is a great songwriter in my opinion, and this reunites fans with how the project begun, with just Sam alone usual backing himself and the songs stripped down to the bare minimum. Like all the best songwriters you end up question how he didn't use this material on the creek drank the candle it shows you how prolific he was/is as a writer.

After the Creek Drank the Cradle, Sam moved onto recording his songs with full backing, so after Shepherd's dog, Kiss Each other clean, and Ghost on Ghost, Sam Beam and Iron and Wine are in a different place musically. You may think that but I caught Sam live in November with just him and his guitar, where even the newer material from these later albums were performed by just him, taking these later songs back to a day when he recorded his material more sparingly. I've seen him both on his own and with a band and have to admit I preferred him and the power of his solitary guitar. He also comes across as a guy who appreciates both his audience and his craft.

Archives may hark back to a day when Iron and Wine was much simpler, and there was a tranquil beauty in these early performances but even if Sam has left that time behind, and here we get to celebrate it. Sam for me is still a songwriter who captivates me and my ears and there's hope theres plenty more Iron and wine archived for us to enjoy.

Tomorrow Is My Turn
Tomorrow Is My Turn

4.0 out of 5 stars Her turn has come, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tomorrow Is My Turn (Audio CD)
I can't really top the first review of the album, but what a voice having had a passing interest in the Carolina Chocholate Drops it always struck me that while CCD was a collaborative affair, Rhiannon was the member with the voice and while it was great to hear her working as part of a team maybe selfishly weve always wanted to hear her on her own. She is also really impressive on the New Basement Tapes a project where alongside Marcus Mumford, Taylor Goldsmith and a few others she helped bring unfinished Bob Dylan songs to life.

If there is any criticism to be made of what Ive heard of this album its that she doesnt really write a lot of her own stuff theres only one original song on the album but the voice is so great that like the best interpreters of songs she makes them her own.

Shadows In The Night
Shadows In The Night
Offered by Amore DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars The Key is Frank, 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Shadows In The Night (Audio CD)
Whether this works for you or not, depends on how much you understand Bob Dylan I guess. Here is an artist that even in the later stages of his career is never afraid to take chances and challenge his fans. I guess that's what geniuses do.

If an album of this quality were released at the time of Self Portrait while it would take a while for fans to digest it would not have suffered the backlash SP did. And as with some of Bob's less immediate albums like Nashville Skyline, Self Portrait itself, Planet Waves or Together Through Life fans often warmed to these albums given time even if they werent to touch some of his accepted classics.

Fans should know that as a visionary no Bob Dylan album ever sounds like the last one, but while some regard this as a tribute to Frank Sinatra it is really just a standards album. While Frank may have recorded these songs, they really aren't songs he was famous for. Fans also have complained that this album is too downbeat, well so was the glorious Time Out Of Mind. It's really the inward struggle of Dylan fans accepting him singing other people's songs (yet alone "Sinatra" songs) that will stop them enjoying this album. Bob's run of really good albums started off after the really poor Under The Red Sky where Bob recorded two acoustic albums Good As I Been To You and World Gone Wrong which were also both cover versions.

For some also a big shock may be recording an album of covers after something as majestic as "Tempest" but also its the nakedness of the album when Bob said that no one has ever recorded his voice like that he isn't fooling (whether thats a good thing or not he he) Bob's voice has minimal backing on it and is in the forefront of each song (a complete contrast to how Lanois mixed Toom) and this makes it stark, powerful and nostalgic and a positive triumph for most.

Look out for "That Lucky Old Sun" if Bob doesnt hit you emotionally with that one then you need to check youve got a heartbeat.There are rumours that another 13 songs were recorded at these sessions and I hope they see the light of day. As for highlights it works as an entire piece and has Bob's personality stamped over it not Frank's. Bob could milk this sort of stuff like Johnny Cash did with the "American Recordings". But call me greedy I also hope he hasn't stopped writing his own songs and theres a rumour he was back in the studio in the fall so let's hope we see the birth of some more original songs from the master.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2015 7:23 PM GMT

Single Mothers
Single Mothers

4.0 out of 5 stars Mama's Eyes, Daddy's Genes and a another grower of an album!!!, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Single Mothers (Audio CD)
I've struggled with this album for awhile but truth is Justin's music has changed since Harlem River Blues and so if you've listened to him since the beginning of his career every album has been more challenging. One day though I just put it on and listened to it all the way through (without interuptions) and it just sort of clicked. We should be used to change I mean his father has never stayed in the same place either and has constantly challenged the listener on every album and we should expect Justin to do the same. Also when you see JTE in the flesh it helps you understand the music and songs better. I was challenged by his fourth album Nothing's Gonna Change The Way You Fee; About Me Now because it wasnt as instantly likeable as Harlem RIver Blues but I still saw Justin on that tour and the new songs were delightful in the flesh. I really do think Justin is as good as ever its just that the music he is making is challenging to the listener and requires repeated plays. Only critisicm I have is that he always brings up his childhood relationship with his father in interviews when he has reached a stage in his career where his music should be doing the talking. He has 50 per cent of his Daddy's genes in him whether he has his mama's eyes and it's those genes that give him his talent even if he may find it a bit of a curse sometimes.

Page: 1 | 2