Profile for Desolation73 > Reviews

Fallen Angels
Fallen Angels
Offered by Amore DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rough Angel returns, 20 May 2016
This review is from: Fallen Angels (Audio CD)
I may be one of a rare breed of Dylan fans who actually enjoyed the Shadows in the night album and was actually chuffed to bits that there was a second album in the can from those sessions.

Upon first hearing it's obvious that whilst having a lot in common with it's predecessor (Only one song on here wasn't recorded by Sinatra) this album does have a different sound to it a lighter more playful feel to it, with more instrumentation and a broader canvas than Shadows had,

If you could make a comparison with any part of Bob's long career then I believe this is similar to releasing Time out of mind and then releasing Love and Theft, Toom being a sombre thoughtful album Love and Theft being overall a more fun record.

Shadows divided people what Bob Dylan record doesnt? and how dare he record Sinatra songs how dare he record any covers at all? But if Bob never records his own songs ever again we have plenty of songs to compensate us for this current betrayal.

No doubt the album will have his knockers and of course we will hear the usual cries of Bob can't sing well for someone to last this long he has to have something and something a lot of our stars today don't seem to possess.And of course we may hear the odd cry of "judas" as Bob takes another musical detour that will annoy his fanbase (not writing one word on these last two albums already has had many up in arms) but at this stage in his career I think he should be applauded for still taking risks and if those risks leave people perplexed and annoyed well isn't that really Bob Dylan for you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2016 9:38 PM BST

Midwest Farmer's Daughter
Midwest Farmer's Daughter

5.0 out of 5 stars Paying the Price, 27 April 2016
This lady has a great future and it's been a long wait, but its an amazing debut record and its hard to believe that it took her this long to get a record deal. The authenticity of her voice is echoed by lyrics which echo heartbreaking expieriences in life in gorgeous opening track "The Hands of Time" she sings about the death of one of her children and then on "The weekender" she sings of how that pain spiralled into a drink problem which led to her spending a weekend in prison. Margo Price has made one of the best records of 2016 and we are only in April.

Careless Soul
Careless Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Cale Tyson: Another american hope, 27 April 2016
This review is from: Careless Soul (Audio CD)
I'm English but I find most of the best music coming through at the moment always seems to come from America... last year introduced me to people like The Deslondes and Leon Bridges. already this year we have had strong debut records from Margo Price, The Cactus Blossoms and now this guy. All of these acts demonstrate that the future of american music is extremely healthy.

Cale has a great voice and the record is extremely strong and extremely likeable. it's just good solid country music with a big heart.

Get to see him in East Sussex in a week or so.

A Sailor's Guide to Earth
A Sailor's Guide to Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars Steering Off course with brilliant if devisive results, 15 April 2016
A Sailor's guide might divide some folk because it does take Sturgil in a slight detour, but its still good music and it will still win most music fans over after a couple of plays. Sturgil expands on different influences on this album and shows himself to be an artist you can't pigeonhole or box.

Most debate has been the cover of Nirvana's In Bloom which sees Sturgil change a classic loud grungy song (which I liked) into a moving country song (which I like) and he got a lyric wrong. When you hear the record in full as part of the whole musical jigsaw I think most will say the song works, whilst as a singular piece it may confuse you.

A Sailor's guide sees our man steer our ship off course but for most of his fans it should still be one of the best albums of the year, I don't think Sturgil will ever hit an iceberg.

Distance Inbetween
Distance Inbetween
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved The Coral when they first appeared on the scene ..., 13 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Distance Inbetween (Audio CD)
I loved The Coral when they first appeared on the scene but then lost touch with them a few years ago, after reading they were returning from a five year hiatus.

If your expecting this to sound anything like the early days then you'd be wrong but neither should anyone expect that. This album does ease class though and shows a maturer dark side with them managing to create their own sound. It has a swirling psychedlic sound which to my ears has echoes of PInk Floyd mixed with the acute use of melodies that the Beatles had. This in no way means they are copycats it just seems the easiest way of describing this.

We are very early on into the year and there has already been quite a few musical highlights already (one being the cactus blossoms for me) but this album should be a dead cert for one of the albums of the year.

Theres too many good songs on here for me to bother naming them the whole record is pretty consistent and will have you probably picking a different song as a fave on every listen.

Never saw the coral live but grabbed tickets to see them in Brighton in a few weeks time and let me end this by saying that The Coral were always an underated band I hope they get the recognition this time round and its an absolute pleasure to have them back.

Youre Dreaming
Youre Dreaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Set To Blossom, 22 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Youre Dreaming (Audio CD)
I was interested in this album because it was produced by the equally marvelous JD McPherson and like some of the best music being produced today it has it's roots in the post. Heavily influenced by people like Everly Brothers and the Louvin Brothers this actually means that these days they are offering something distinctly original : No one sings harmonies like these two, today! Best harmony vocals since First Aid Kit.

My favourite debut album of last year was a toss between Rhiannon Giddens, Leon Bridges and The Deslondes but they join bands and artists like Pokey Lafarge, Old Crow Medicine Show, Hurray for the Riff Raff who happily celebrate the past but do it with the knowledge that they do it well.

An early contender for my newcomer of the year.

Nashville Obsolete
Nashville Obsolete

5.0 out of 5 stars Nashville's finest, 12 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Nashville Obsolete (Audio CD)
When the first Dave Rawlings album came out I saw it more as a distraction from what I really wanted, which was a new Gillian Welch album as we had spent so long waiting for it, this time round a Dave Rawlings Machine album is as important and vital as Gillian herself putting out a new record. We always knew Dave was a wonderful guitar player but he also sings well.
Its definately a darker album as one of your other reviewers said and I also agree that it's a grower a collection of songs that may take one or two plays to seep into your soul but thats what really great music can do.

Lost Time
Lost Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy times, 18 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Lost Time (Audio CD)
I'd actually never really heard of these two till a couple of days, it's a mostly very uptempo happy blues record (if that's possible) with the brothers clearly rejuvenated in their union and clearly having fun. After one play I know it is one im going to come back to for further listens and people are going to enjoy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2015 7:47 AM BST

Hollow Meadows
Hollow Meadows

5.0 out of 5 stars Got to be one of my albums of the year, 11 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Hollow Meadows (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure what to make of the last album I accept artists have to change but it was a big change to except, after accepting it after a few listens there is still much to admire on standing on the sky's Edge.

But this album sees Richard return to the style that we fell in love with mixing the best of his earlier records with the beautiful balladry we've come to adore from him.

It's a Richard Hawley album so there is plenty of highlights and I would probably be naming every song on the record and your song choice may change everytime you play it. It leaves you in no doubt that Richard Hawley is one of the best modern songwriters around.

Theres been some marvelous albums this year with this one joining Jason Isbell, The Deslondes, Tallest Man On Earth, Laura Marling, Calexico, JD McPherson, Dawes, Pokey Lafarge, Yo La Tengo and Leon Bridges are some of my favourites.

If I've Only One Time Askin'
If I've Only One Time Askin'

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic country from Canada of all places!, 5 Sept. 2015
This album kind of reminds me of Gram Parsons on first listen there's some great songs on here but maybe the only thing lacking is a little bit of variety. It sounds like a record that should have been made in the seventies and there's nothing wrong with nostalgia.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3