Profile for Makka > Reviews

Makka "Makka" (Australia)

Braun Quartz Classic BNC005BKBK Travel Alarm Black
Braun Quartz Classic BNC005BKBK Travel Alarm Black

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM., 21 Aug. 2015
That Braun sells this piece of rubbish is a disgrace.
It does not function correctly due to a design fault where the hands do not engage properly with the mechanism once the time adjustment button is pushed in. It works for a while, keeping good time but then at some random point the hands just stop moving. The clock has not moved on the shelf so there is no apparent reason for this.

Seveneves
Seveneves
by Neal Stephenson

2.0 out of 5 stars Full of boring orbital dynamics., 10 July 2015
This review is from: Seveneves (Hardcover)
As seems quite common with authors that become very popular....
Stephenson seems to have become self indulgent and needs an editor with some guts.
The story premise is good and the last third of the book is actually quite enjoyable because it is mostly story. However the first two thirds needed some SERIOUS editing which they didn't get.
He has included FAR too much extremely boring orbital dynamics and other technical jargon which make this a huge book that should have been 400 pages shorter.
If you get it, I recommend skimming the first two parts.

Not in His Image: Gnostic Vision, Sacred Ecology, and the Future of Belief
Not in His Image: Gnostic Vision, Sacred Ecology, and the Future of Belief
by John Lamb Lash

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book. It will change your life and may well save our planet if enough people read it., 22 Jan. 2014
I've only read the introduction and I know I have been waiting my whole life for this book.
If anything changes (and I doubt it) I will edit.

Abarat : Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat Quartet 2)
Abarat : Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat Quartet 2)
by Clive Barker

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of space, 15 May 2012
I'm so glad I got this out of the library as I would have been really upset to have spent money on this unreadable thoughtsteam.
It seems to me like Barker has taken too many hallucinogens and then recorded the train of thoughts down as a book and some awful paintings.
I gave up after fifteen pages as I remembered the first book and just couldn't be bothered to go through another page of this stuff.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2013 7:57 PM GMT

Against All Things Ending: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Against All Things Ending: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
by Stephen Donaldson

1.0 out of 5 stars I finally give up, 10 Jan. 2011
I couldn't manage more than about thirty pages of this book before finally giving up on SD for good. What a waste of trees, space, and my money.
I've read every book he's written in all his many alter ego's and have been more and more irritated and bored by the wingeing and whining etc mentioned in other reviews. It just seems to get worse with every novel. I scanned large parts of the previous book in this series but this one finally just goes too far with the introspective self doubt etc.
SD seems to have disappeared so far up his own 'ego' that he is no longer writing for his readers but his own therapy.

As for the fancy words. IMO it's fine to use long words in regular usage but this is yet another of SD's self indulgences at the expense of his readers. I do not like to read a fantasy novel with a dictionary next to me.

Bye bye Stephen, you've lost me finally.