Profile for L. Huynh > Reviews

Content by L. Huynh

L. Huynh "LAH" (London)

Dymo Cardscan Personal 8 (PC)
Dymo Cardscan Personal 8 (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not the machine's fault, 26 July 2010
Ordered this item and I can't even tell if it works because it turns out that the Personal isn't compatible with 64bit and nothing on this page indicates that it's not compatible with 64bit PC's. Had to contact Dymo support who told me it's because the computer isn't compatible. Now I have to order the executive or team because they ARE compatible.

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps godlike, 25 Jun. 2010
I found this book at a friend's flat - she'd borrowed it from someone else. I read the first few pages while she was out of the room and it was love. I'm not going to talk about the book other than to say that Pat has a wonderful sense for characters, character development, story arcs, progression and creating emotion and images. I read the book in a relatively short period - leaving little time for sleep because having a full time job got in the way. I've since spread the word to at least two other people and bought one to give to a friend that was in the store with me just having a nice gander. I'm so eagerly awaitin his next book and from time to time it occurs to me that I'm happy to be healthy so that I'll be around for the day he completes all the revisions and the books are in my grubby hands.

Scar Night (Deepgate Codex Trilogy): Bk. 1
Scar Night (Deepgate Codex Trilogy): Bk. 1
by Alan Campbell

1.0 out of 5 stars Deephole is more like it, 25 Jun. 2010
I started this book a few months ago and I've gotten through about a quarter to a third of it...it's grueling. I doubt I can finish this. I read several pages thinking: it's got to get better, it's got to go somewhere - but it doesn't. I get it: there's a vampire/angel boy in a tower, a lot of monster like creatures fighting, a twisted society and twisted characters. And they have done nothing. Hardly explained anything. Failed to say much. The fight scenes, action scenes, non action scenes never read with good intensity or clarity of vision. When I read just about any book, I'm not simply reading, I'm imagining, hearing and smelling these things in my head and Scar Night has not been able to evoke much of anything in my mind's eye. I like the image of this world wrought with chains, but that's where it all ends. And there are no characters to identify with. The one character I might have tried to identify with is caught up in a maelstrom of strange ritualist behaviour in the Campbell's mind who obviously thinks that the audience will understand this strange culture if the reader's completely immersed into it and picks up the meaning as the story meanders on. It doesn't work that way and I'm highly unlikely to carry on reading it.

Buyology: How Everything We Believe About Why We Buy is Wrong
Buyology: How Everything We Believe About Why We Buy is Wrong
by Martin Lindstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars To Buy or Not To Buy, 25 Jun. 2010
I think from what I've read both in the book and by the reviewers, the biggest problem with Buyology is Martin Lindstrom. One might say that he is the Nokia ringtone of his book - as he says of one study, people's brains react negatively to the sound of the classic ringtone possibly correlating it with unwanted phone calls. I think that he has interesting information to share but is caught up in his own marketing and we all become quite aware of this in the book. Perhaps this is the way he sells himself to the people that hire him - he deals with science rather than human relationships and this is more apparent. Judging by some of the things he has to say when it isn't in regards to himself, I think that there is good information to be taken away from his book. He himself should probably distance himself from his material. A ghost writer with more science and less Martin Lindstrom might do him a world of good. It's also to be said that he talks a bit about sound marketing - he obviously tries to impliment sound branding on his website, but honestly, I don't think it's in his best interest to brand it with his voice/him. Hopefully, I'll come across another neuromarketing book in the future that's got better execution.

Freakonomics
Freakonomics
by Steven D. Levitt
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Economics Lite, 25 Jun. 2010
I really enjoyed the lighter side of economics - it's a great way to understand not just economics but the politics of being a person and the impact of our individual decisions. It took a while before I got around to this book, but it was definitely a great read and it made no apologies for its often controversial content. It's because of this that I'll read the newest book at some point because whomever made the marketing choice for the latest book made it far less appealing.

Sibling Rivalry: Seven Simple Solutions
Sibling Rivalry: Seven Simple Solutions
by Karen Doherty

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Politics, 25 Jun. 2010
Sibling Rivalry is a great book and reminds us a lot about our own relationships as well as the relationships we see with everyone else's families. Once you get a feel for the parent types, you start to identify with certain styles of parenting and what you want to be. The great thing is that if you want to approach parenting in a different way, there are plenty of examples to go about it. I love reading all the anecdotes and often I skip to them before reading the tips and strategies in situations that typically come up. It gives me my own ideas of how to approach parenting and a peek into the lives of other families. It's easy to see how these approaches can work and lets me just read the bit that I need to read when a situation comes up.